HELP (DRIFT TUNES)

United States
PA
iGetMadAngle420
For years ive been running more spring rate in the rear and softer in the front, people recently have been telling me to do the opposite, ive done that on a few cars and it worked, but i'm not exactly sure what i should put my dampers, camber or toe at to compliment the under steer. anyone with tips please share

For years ive been running more spring rate in the rear and softer in the front, people recently have been telling me to do the opposite, ive done that on a few cars and it worked, but i'm not exactly sure what i should put my dampers, camber or toe at to compliment the under steer. anyone with tips please share

Hi Dk_FleX, Go here www.teamshmo.com and read his drift guide, it's real good.

I read it and tried some of his tunes, but the one I like best is RUF BTR '86 or '87

It made my drifting a lot better. I wasn't into drifting that much when I first got the game, but there were credits and colors to win so I started doing them and haven't look back since. I am really into it now! It's great!!! 👍

Cheers Smiley.gif

not exactly the response i was looking for..
honestly this is the Racing Tuning forum. Head over to the drift forum and ask there. The guys that hang out over there are much more in tune *pardon the pun* with drift tuning then a lot of us over here. We get it done for cred's and paint but I wouldn't call most of us experts at it.

There is no fixed answer to your question. Each car is different but will respond in certain ways to modification

The relative F/R balance of the spring rates will be decided by the cars weight, weight distribution and characteristics initially and then tweaked to alter the cars performance.
-
Soft Springs - More grip, slower response to driver input
Stiff Springs - Less grip, faster response to driver input

The dampers should be tweaked to compliment the springs
-
Soft Dampers - More grip, less stable
Stiff Dampers - Less grip, more stable

Front Damper Compression/Rear Damper Extension - Controls how fast weight transfers to the front wheels during braking
Front Damper Extension/Rear Damper Compression - Controls how fast weight transfers to rear wheels during acceleration

Tuning any car is the same basic process of trial and error whether you are tuning for drift, drag, circuit racing or anything else you can think of. Adjust one setting at a time and then test it to see what effect it had on the cars performance, if it made it better then make a note of it and move on to the next setting, if it made it worse then try doing the opposite.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to do something without saying why, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right

There is no fixed answer to your question. Each car is different but will respond in certain ways to modification

The relative F/R balance of the spring rates will be decided by the cars weight, weight distribution and characteristics initially and then tweaked to alter the cars performance.
-
Soft Springs - More grip, slower response to driver input
Stiff Springs - Less grip, faster response to driver input

The dampers should be tweaked to compliment the springs
-
Soft Dampers - More grip, less stable
Stiff Dampers - Less grip, more stable

Front Damper Compression/Rear Damper Extension - Controls how fast weight transfers to the front wheels during braking
Front Damper Extension/Rear Damper Compression - Controls how fast weight transfers to rear wheels during acceleration

Tuning any car is the same basic process of trial and error whether you are tuning for drift, drag, circuit racing or anything else you can think of. Adjust one setting at a time and then test it to see what effect it had on the cars performance, if it made it better then make a note of it and move on to the next setting, if it made it worse then try doing the opposite.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you to do something without saying why, just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right
thats what i was looking for But explain more in depth as in what happens when you go left what happens when u go right on this statement
Front Damper Extension/Rear Damper Compression - Controls how fast weight transfers to rear wheels during acceleration specifically the second one

Front Damper Extension/Rear Damper Compression - Controls how fast weight transfers to rear wheels during acceleration specifically the second one
The lower the number the faster the transfer. Is the jist of it.
Basically you want the dampers set to transfer the weight fast enough to maintain control of the car but not cause snap or carry the rotation.

Edit added missing word dang phone

Last edited:
Back