Help/General Info About Importing a Car Needed

United States
United States
Tunerguy21
A friend and I were looking at importing cars, because we found that they were, or at least seem to be, so much cheaper than buying the equivalent var in America. Now, I do understand the risk and possible "surprise expenses" involved in importing a car, but decided to ask around here, for some general tips for importing a car into the States, and to find out if there indeed are additional costs associated with buying these particular cars (once they get to the US). Any information/help/words of wisdom would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The Links:
http://www.batfa.com/usedcar-mazdarx7-93black.html (for me)

http://www.batfa.com/usedcar-supra93silver-non.html (my friend)

Yes, there are tons of rules and and regulations around importing a non-US market car into the US, even if there's a US equivalent. If there's a US equivalent, it makes it easier and cheaper.

Basically, at a high level, all cars that are eligible for importation must meet US federal safety and emissions laws, and in addition any state emissions laws that are in excess of Federal laws (California for example). This will require that the car be modified to meet those laws. If the car cannot be modified, then the car is not eligible for importation. Before a car can be imported though, you must check if the car is on NHTSA's list of eligible cars that can be imported (which IIRC, a car on that list must have passed US crash testing safety laws). If it's not on there, you can't import it, unless you do so under the "Show and Display" law, which maintains a separate list of vehicles that can be imported.

Once the car is purchased, it must be brought into the country by a licensed importer and vehicle modification shop. They will then pick up the vehicle once it clears customs and they will modify the car to meet US laws. A bond must also be posted with the government.

After 25 years has passed, a car can be brought in with minimal modifications. Until then, it is a pain in the butt and I would highly recommend against it unless it is a very special car and you have a lot of money.

This is highly generalized. You have to speak with a licensed and registered vehicle importer about a specific vehicle about the details. There are a lot of laws and intricacies with importing a car to the US. Go Google it and read up on the rules and stuff.

Yes, there are tons of rules and and regulations around importing a non-US market car into the US, even if there's a US equivalent. If there's a US equivalent, it makes it easier and cheaper.

Basically, at a high level, all cars that are eligible for importation must meet US federal safety and emissions laws, and in addition any state emissions laws that are in excess of Federal laws (California for example). This will require that the car be modified to meet those laws. If the car cannot be modified, then the car is not eligible for importation. Before a car can be imported though, you must check if the car is on NHTSA's list of eligible cars that can be imported (which IIRC, a car on that list must have passed US crash testing safety laws). If it's not on there, you can't import it, unless you do so under the "Show and Display" law, which maintains a separate list of vehicles that can be imported.

Once the car is purchased, it must be brought into the country by a licensed importer and vehicle modification shop. They will then pick up the vehicle once it clears customs and they will modify the car to meet US laws. A bond must also be posted with the government.

After 25 years has passed, a car can be brought in with minimal modifications. Until then, it is a pain in the butt and I would highly recommend against it unless it is a very special car and you have a lot of money.

This is highly generalized. You have to speak with a licensed and registered vehicle importer about a specific vehicle about the details. There are a lot of laws and intricacies with importing a car to the US. Go Google it and read up on the rules and stuff.

Thank's for the info, Crash. Much appreciated.

Being that the cars were sold in the US (RX7 and Supra), I wouldn't think that it would need that much to get it up to code. I could be wrong, though. I had talked with my uncle (who had tryed to bring back a BMW from being stationed in Germany) about the subject, and he had mentioned that they would need 5-mph bumpers, a new catalytic converter, and other body rigidity measures. However, what I am unsure of is if these would be strictly necissary for the cars my friend and I are interested in. It would seem that, since these cars were made to comply with US standards of the time, that the only modification need to be made would be for the cat. Any ideas, guys?

On another note, the NHTSA page for the vehicles eligible for import lists the RX7 as a "VSA" model, which are "only vehicles that are decided to be eligible for importation on the initiative of the Administrator". What would this mean for me trying to import one; what processes would it entail? Stranger still, the list doesn't include the Supra, which was legally sold in the US, yet it lists the Skyline, which needs to be modified to meet the NHTSA standards:odd:.

Well, I personally know nothing about actually importing, but I had a friend a couple years ago in High School. He was from South Africa(lived in U.S. for 8 years though) and he was able to import a Supra(yes, the iconic MK IV). Unsure of which year, but it was a left hand drive Supra. Which... honestly I didn't know they made(if they did? Still don't know) I doubt that is a required regulation if you were to use it as a daily driver, but if it is, I don't think it would be a cheap conversion.
Of course for his family, money was no obstacle.

Being that the cars were sold in the US (RX7 and Supra), I wouldn't think that it would need that much to get it up to code.

As there were US versions available, I imagine that they would indeed be easier than something such as a Nissan Skyline (never sold in the US). Once again, you'll have to double check for sure; however, either way, it's still not cheap.

I could be wrong, though. I had talked with my uncle (who had tryed to bring back a BMW from being stationed in Germany) about the subject, and he had mentioned that they would need 5-mph bumpers, a new catalytic converter, and other body rigidity measures. However, what I am unsure of is if these would be strictly necissary for the cars my friend and I are interested in.

Every car that is less than 25 years old and not imported under the "Show and Display" law must meet US federal laws (it's technically 21 years for environmental stuff, but 25 years for safety). If the manufacturer is willing to send an official letter testifying that the car being imported is equipped with the correct safety equipment, then those specific pieces may not be required to be replaced.

It would seem that, since these cars were made to comply with US standards of the time, that the only modification need to be made would be for the cat. Any ideas, guys?

Manufacturers don't necessarily install US spec safety equipment on international cars. It's highly possible for a manufacturer to install US equipment on only US bound cars.

On another note, the NHTSA page for the vehicles eligible for import lists the RX7 as a "VSA" model, which are "only vehicles that are decided to be eligible for importation on the initiative of the Administrator". What would this mean for me trying to import one; what processes would it entail? Stranger still, the list doesn't include the Supra, which was legally sold in the US, yet it lists the Skyline, which needs to be modified to meet the NHTSA standards:odd:.

I recommend you call licensed and registered importers for the full skinny regarding each individual vehicle.

Well, I personally know nothing about actually importing, but I had a friend a couple years ago in High School. He was from South Africa(lived in U.S. for 8 years though) and he was able to import a Supra(yes, the iconic MK IV). Unsure of which year, but it was a left hand drive Supra. Which... honestly I didn't know they made(if they did? Still don't know) I doubt that is a required regulation if you were to use it as a daily driver, but if it is, I don't think it would be a cheap conversion.
Of course for his family, money was no obstacle.

The Mk IV Supra was sold in the US by Toyota, so yes, there were factory LHD Supras.

The Mk IV Supra was sold in the US by Toyota, so yes, there were factory LHD Supras.

I had no idea about that :dunce:
But all of the Supras I've seen at car shows were RHD...(these Supras were of much.. much higher quality than what he had though, that's why I had no idea)

Back