Help! GT5 Won't Start Up!

• Thread starter Ryou
  • 46 comments
GSD
I had the same problem and I could only fix it because I had a backup copy of my savefile on a usb-stick. The savefile on my ps3 was damaged because I played on 1.06 and I recevied the disk space error after the 1.10 update (1.10 was the latest version at that time). I deleted the savefile on my ps3 and used the one I had on my usb stick and it worked with 1.10.

I figured that would work, ironically i saved mine the day it corrupted. so no luck there. but i wonder if it will do it again on yours. Several on another site are reporting this more and more

So I got my old save file to work, which means losing 150 cars from my garage. I'm planning on sending an email to http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/ telling the problem and linking to this thread. I don't know if that would be the best way to reach PD or if there's some sony blog I could use, but we definitely have to let them know because this is a real game breaking bug.

So I got my old save file to work, which means losing 150 cars from my garage. I'm planning on sending an email to http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/ telling the problem and linking to this thread. I don't know if that would be the best way to reach PD or if there's some sony blog I could use, but we definitely have to let them know because this is a real game breaking bug.

calling Sony is a good way also, i complained about it in their forum, others have also. Now what im curious about, is if your old save file will do the same when you reach a certain point again?

Last edited:
Not only that, but is it going to eventually affect other people down the road? I'm hoping PD will realize there's a bug somewhere that needs to be fixed.

I had this problem too yesterday when i tried to play GT5 after a month or two not playing.

It occured immediately after i updated to 2.00 and tried to play. The same error message appeared.

It did the following:
- copy gt5 savefile to USB (btw, my savefile size was approx 1900 - 2000 kB)
- delete the whole gt5 install file (which was 20GB)
- reinsert gt5 disk and re-update all updates up to 2.00 (with all updates immediately after one other)
- then install the game in order to save loadup times etc. (the usual install game thing)
- Checking whether the game loads, an autosave got created automatically
- Exit game, and copy the previous savefile from USB to the PS3. When asked whether to overwrite the existing savefile (which got created automatically, see one step before), i choose 'yes'.
- Start up game again
- Profit ;)

It works fine now

I had this problem too yesterday when i tried to play GT5 after a month or two not playing.

It occured immediately after i updated to 2.00 and tried to play. The same error message appeared.

It did the following:
- copy gt5 savefile to USB (btw, my savefile size was approx 1900 - 2000 kB)
- delete the whole gt5 install file (which was 20GB)
- reinsert gt5 disk and re-update all updates up to 2.00 (with all updates immediately after one other)
- then install the game in order to save loadup times etc. (the usual install game thing)
- Checking whether the game loads, an autosave got created automatically
- Exit game, and copy the previous savefile from USB to the PS3. When asked whether to overwrite the existing savefile (which got created automatically, see one step before), i choose 'yes'.
- Start up game again
- Profit ;)

i have tried this with a few other people, it did not work. I believe the reason is your save file was not corrupted when you saved it. in our case, the file was already corrupted. If you have an older save file you can do the steps you just mentioned and it will work until a certain point is reached. Eventually it will happen as before. Your very lucky or smart you saved before it was to late :)

I'm having this trouble aswell, i have tried everything to get it working again but nothing, it won't even load without any updates installed no matter what i try i can't get it to work

Something weird happened to me.
I upgrade GT5 to 2.0 and it worked really fine, No problems at all.
I had never noticed something wrong about GT5, and I turn off the system properly, so I don't think my data got corrupted.

The last time I played was OCT 17, and it was great. I tried to play on OCT 19 and I couldn't because the current error.
I have done the same as you all. But here is the fact.
My birthday is on OCT 18, and I read that GT5 gives you a car on your BD. Some issue on their programming may be causing this. Anyone can link this facts... or I'm just crazy.
Thx

One thing to do to possibly avoid this bug with the least amount of pain and game-save-data loss is to stagger your game-save-data backup between two separate USB sticks or memory cards.

Example:
Backup data to memory card 1, play the game, backup to memory card 2, play game, then backup to memory card 1, then play game, then backup to memory card 2, etc., like that.

Then you always have 2 backups, one from the last time you played, and one from the time before last. If your last one gets corrupted, chances are your second to last backup will work because it's a ''known good'' backup. That should protect you at least from saved-game-data corruption. I've been doing that since I started backing up the data.

Even if the bug doesn't affect save-game-data, it's possible that one out of the two will work for whatever reason- compatibility issues after update, etc. Then you lose the least amount of time you put into the game as well.

BWX
One thing to do to possibly avoid this bug with the least amount of pain and game-save-data loss is to stagger your game-save-data backup between two separate USB sticks or memory cards.

Example:
Backup data to memory card 1, play the game, backup to memory card 2, play game, then backup to memory card 1, then play game, then backup to memory card 2, etc., like that.

Then you always have 2 backups, one from the last time you played, and one from the time before last. If your last one gets corrupted, chances are your second to last backup will work because it's a ''known good'' backup. That should protect you at least from saved-game-data corruption. I've been doing that since I started backing up the data.

Even if the bug doesn't affect save-game-data, it's possible that one out of the two will work for whatever reason- compatibility issues after update, etc. Then you lose the least amount of time you put into the game as well.

I think everyone will be cautious about this now. Ive kinda given up on PD doing anything about it. Your ideas are good, and now i have atleast two different saves and a backup for all my games. NO WAY am i saying that this problem should be ignored. because the amount of time wasted from this bug is not right. Its not like a bad system here and there, or the Ps3 shutting down during a saving point. It is a glitch, that should be resolved.

A new PS3 with your PSN ID & savedata keeps the issue? :indiff:

yes, i gave up and started over. cursed my way through the licenses again. ugh replaying the special events is not my favorite thing to do. The new DLC was nice though. it made me feel better about losing all my uniforms and helmets. i have 3 back ups now. Im scared to look at the news or view museum cards. I tried to figure out if this bug only affected the people who did not install the game to their HD. That would make a little sense for the error bug to appear for certain people. Im going to sound retarded, but maybe the save file for just the disc read is set to only receive so much data. But if installed to the HD, the save file is synced with the HD and will only be limited by actual HD space. did that make sense?

EDIT: However, i still lost all my setups :(

Last edited:
yes, i gave up and started over. cursed my way through the licenses again. ugh replaying the special events is not my favorite thing to do. The new DLC was nice though. it made me feel better about losing all my uniforms and helmets. i have 3 back ups now. Im scared to look at the news or view museum cards. I tried to figure out if this bug only affected the people who did not install the game to their HD. That would make a little sense for the error bug to appear for certain people. Im going to sound retarded, but maybe the save file for just the disc read is set to only receive so much data. But if installed to the HD, the save file is synced with the HD and will only be limited by actual HD space. did that make sense?

EDIT: However, i still lost all my setups :(

First, I think I'm not going to play GT5 until december, when my holidays began... but that's not important here.:ouch: I hope Polyphony helps us since then.

Second, I don't really think you're hypotesis is right, because I did have installed GT5 in the HDD, furthermore the people who installed as those who didn't had this issue

Third, is it only me... or you can match this fact:

Something weird happened to me.
I upgrade GT5 to 2.0 and it worked really fine, No problems at all.
I had never noticed something wrong about GT5, and I turn off the system properly, so I don't think my data got corrupted.

The last time I played was OCT 17, and it was great. I tried to play on OCT 19 and I couldn't because the current error.
I have done the same as you all. But here is the fact.
My birthday is on OCT 18, and I read that GT5 gives you a car on your BD. Some issue on their programming may be causing this. Anyone can link this facts... or I'm just crazy.
Thx

I don't really want to start from the beginning. :grumpy:

Latest Posts

Back