Help me choose a car for the new year

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rue
  • 49 comments
  • 32,288 views

What should I get?

  • Subaru Forester

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Subaru Legacy GT-B Wagon

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Toyota Bb open Deck

    Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Subaru WRX Wagon (Bug-eyes)

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Honda Accord Wagon

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Toyota Chaser Tourer-V

    Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evo V

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VI

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Toyota Altezza RS200

    Votes: 5 9.6%
  • Nissan Skyline GT-T ER34

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Toyota Aristo V300 Vertex

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Porsche 968 Cabriolet

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Toyota MR-S

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nissan Skyline GT-T R34

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Mazda MX-5

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • BMW 3-Series Convertible E36

    Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Mercedes SL320

    Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other - Please state

    Votes: 2 3.8%

  • Total voters
    52
I would double vote for an S2000, but c'mon how can you NOT love an E55 AMG? That's the best fastest most comfortable way to haul your mates and cargo around eh?
 
Get the Nissan Skyline GT-R. It's not often you see one of those.

I see more riced up GT-Rs and Skylines in general than I see V8s around.:odd:
 
R34 GTRs are very rare in Australia. The R32s are a bit rare and the R33s are as common as S15s. Well at least in Sydney anyway. An R34 costs about 100K here too.


On the up side, I see at least one R35 on the way to school each day. The current record is 3 outside the dealership.
 
Yeah, R34s are pretty rare up here too, but R32s and R33s are everywhere!
 
I've only seen one Nissan Skyline. The R35. An R34 is what I really want to see and have.
 
I voted for the bugeye STi. But then saw in your post that you list the Integra Type R (not in the poll). Being a Honda guy, I'd change my vote...
 
I'm not making things up, but if I totally misunderstood, then an apology on my behalf is in place. I just got the impression you tried to tell Rue he can give other sportscars a "run for their money", also known as streetrace other sportscars. But if that wasn't your intention than I must apologize.

yes you did misunderstood and that was not the impression i was giving to rue as i myself and several people i have known over the years have been involved in car accidents over the years due to "street racers" and "street drifters".
 
Thanks for all the great feedback. It's quite amusing that so many of you recommended the Chaser as that basically one of my favourite cars ever (hence my old username 'chaser_fan'). It's reassuring to know that it's a strong reliable car too. My only issue with is it is the larger engine size which will cost me more tax, but still it's the car I hold closest to my heart. It would be my number one choice if I could find a straight one. They aren't rare here though, I see them everywhere.

I was surprised to see the Legnum is winning so many recommendations too. I was always under the impression that the Mitsubishis of this era were quite unreliable. Again it has quite a large engine though.

The Altezza is also something that I am definately leaning toward as I always think of it as a drivers car and bullet-proof with it. I;m somewhat surprised that the Legacy and Forester haven't had much love. I would have expected these to have had loads of good comments.

Once again, thanks for your input guys. Any more you have would be more than welcome.
 
Been racking my brains to come up with something that hasn't been suggested and is not on your list. How about this?

toyota_celica_gt4_niot.net%20(2).jpg


Celica GT-Four. By no means slow and plenty of potential. With full rally livery would look really cool too.
 
Who voted for the Toyota Bb Open Deck? Whoever you are, I salute you Sirs.
 
You simply can't go wrong with a Legnum. Plenty of space, plenty of room, and most importantly, it looks much cleaner than the Legacy, its main rival.
 
Been racking my brains to come up with something that hasn't been suggested and is not on your list. How about this?

toyota_celica_gt4_niot.net%20(2).jpg


Celica GT-Four. By no means slow and plenty of potential. With full rally livery would look really cool too.

Mmmmm forgot how awsome and pretty GOOD Toyotas were before Toyota died in the late 90's.
 
The GT-Four is a pretty cool car. I have found one for sale with 60k on the clock but it doesn't have the classic spoiler and it's silver. I would rather one in white or black, maybe even red with some black details.

http://www.car8.com/2cardetails.php?id=157173

Whilst searching the classifieds I have started to form an interest in the Honda Accord Euro-R (CL1). They seem reliable, sporty, good-looking and they're cheap. Anyone have any opinions on these?

7489326.jpg


Whats the cost of an early Honda S2000 around there? Early ones in the US are becoming fairly cheap, and that certainly would be my pick.

Otherwise, I'm giving the thumbs up to the Mazda MX-5. Cheap, reliable, and fun to drive. Can't go wrong. Although, are you only interested in the NA? Are there NBs readily available for a good price?

S2000's seem to hold their value well and are a bit out of budget. The MX-5's I have seen for sale tend to be the pop up light version and if I was to buy one I'd get one which had already been modified a little (Wheel arch extensions, lightweight alloys, etc.) which I don't seem to be able to find.

JCE, I think you mentioned the E55 AMG? Awesome, but HK has the world's most expensive fuel and the tax on a car with and engine that big would be enough to pay off a small country's national defecit.
 
Last edited:
:( On the AMG. Too bad, its one hell of a car.
 
Rue
Whilst searching the classifieds I have started to form an interest in the Honda Accord Euro-R (CL1). They seem reliable, sporty, good-looking and they're cheap. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Do it.


Reliable, practical, quick, good handling and shouldn't be too murderous on tax... Although, it is a 2.2l.
 
Rue
I was surprised to see the Legnum is winning so many recommendations too. I was always under the impression that the Mitsubishis of this era were quite unreliable. Again it has quite a large engine though.

The Altezza is also something that I am definately leaning toward as I always think of it as a drivers car and bullet-proof with it. I;m somewhat surprised that the Legacy and Forester haven't had much love. I would have expected these to have had loads of good comments.

The Galant/Legnum VR4s can be problematic, but they seem to hold up just fine if you take care of them.

The first gen TT Legacy is quite notorious for reliability issues (I blew both the turbo's on my pretty much stock one), but they are meant to be a lot better for the newer ones (i.e. the one you posted in the OP).

If you're looking at the WRX/GTB etc, the Forester is a bit redundant IMO. It makes good sense if you need a large wagon, but if you can have the same engine/drivetrain in a smaller, lighter but still practical bodystyle, not sure why you'd go down that route.

Also if you get an Altezza please keep the standard exhaust on it. They make one of the worst car noises in the world with aftermarket exhaust parts.

You mention tax, how much of a difference does that extra 500cc make in terms of cost?
 
Rue
Whilst searching the classifieds I have started to form an interest in the Honda Accord Euro-R (CL1). They seem reliable, sporty, good-looking and they're cheap. Anyone have any opinions on these?

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that. Could be a lot of fun, and the 2.2 is a wonderful engine. It always amuses me that they called it the "Euro" R though, as the car we got in Europe had substantially different bodywork, even if the running gear was the same.

honda-accord-type-r-1.jpg


IMO we got the better looking car, but if the Euro-R is as good as the Type R over here then it's definitely worth a look. Have you found examples of any of these to drive? It's certainly worth trying out a few to see which you'd actually prefer to live with.
 
Hi all. Thanks for the great feedback. I have been rushing around HK and Macao the last few days so haven't had a chance to read through all the replies. I will soon..

I did have a look at some cars in Macau; ALtezza, Evo VII, Galant VR-4, BMW E36, Aristo V300 Vertex. I actually really liked the latter. They're so cheap and are loaded beyond belief. Also very comfortable to sit in and solid too.
 
Back