Help me drift!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter MightyMan
  • 28 comments
  • 3,094 views
Messages
160
Messages
GTP_MightyMan
Hey guys,
I finally got a video of one of my practice runs.
Was hoping I could get some constructive criticism...


Any input would be wholly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Edit: Argg, thanks MORAN-AUTO-350Z, forgot to put up my settings...
using a G25, FFB at 5
stock 350Z, ABS 1, all other aids off
N2 tires
 
Last edited:
Can't see the video.

Edit: Ok now I see it. Would be much better if you could do a video where it shows you using the wheel. Also I am not the best person to give advice since my drifting is still at practising stage aswell, but here is sure people who can give good hints, like MORAN-AUTO-350Z or Delphic Reason and few others. Only thing I can say for sure that practise is everything (as you may know). Just keep practising and you'll get it. When I was still driving with sixaxis I was rather ok in drifting, but when I got the G25, well, it was horrific at the beginning. :) Then I got better and better and it's not SO horrific anymore. :)

But yeah you certainly were looking for some other advice aswell and I'd like to leave that for some more talented guys.

👍
 
Last edited:
First off are you using a wheel? Second what tires were you using? Last is the car stock?

I would say in the begining try sticking to a STOCK car with out tuning it. Reasons be that tuning is something that can help tremendously or kill your performance big time.

Try using n3 tires all the time, and NEVER mix tire compound like trying to run a stickier tire upfront or in the rear. Keep them the same.

Then just practice practice practice. I found that using the STOCK viper is a good car to learn how to drift. Its powerfull heavy and well lets face it if you can drift the viper then every other car will be easier once you get it down.
 
thanks for the replies guys
i've noticed that same drifts, my drift gets cut short and the car flies toward the other direction (like the hairpin before the tunnel)
is this because i'm not enough on the throttle?
 
throttle controll and countersteering is the key your looking for its just practice
 
I think that your biggest problem is your countersteer and throttle control.
Look at :54 in your video. Everything was good until :56 where u counter steered too much and let go of the throttle. (In my opinion) in that case i would have decreased counter steer and step more on the throttle.

But I'm not the greatest person to be giving advice since I'm still not that great and I'm still learning as much as I can.

Just keep practicing and you'll get better.

PS. for how long have you drifted in GT5P??
 
Now I'm not a pro, but From the first two corners of what i see, is that you need to throw your car into the turns abit, and slam that throttle harder in the first two, but remain controlled... Its a hard aspect to think about, but it will work once you figure it out...
 
I'm bad at drifting so I might not be the best person to listen to but since I'm in the learning stage I can tell you what helped me to progress.

I had trouble with the 350z especially in the corner before the tunnel, I switched to more powerfull cars for 2-3 days (Blitz skyline and Amuse S2000) and it felt completely different, a lot smoother and keeping the car drifting seemed less random. When I switched back to less powerful cars I had improved a lot and it was easier for me to "feel" the car (throttle and position of the front wheels).

I don't know about the stock viper since I never tried it but I have the feeling it is in the same spirit as what I experienced.

To learn the corner before the tunnel I practiced on suzuka (especially the first corner) to learn higher speed drifting and it was completely different from eiger. When I came back to that track it almost felt easy :)

Good luck practicing and thanks to everyone else for the comments, it's helping me a lot too.

PS: I'm practicing on S1 or S2 tires and 10 FFB is it a bad idea?
 
I say try out a 512BB

it's got just enough power for you to floor it and not spin out

Just countersteer and you're good! 👍 (From my experiences :dopey:)
 
sweet,
thanks for the help and replies guys

I say try out a 512BB

I would have thought this car would have too much power for a beginner..


PS. for how long have you drifted in GT5P??

I've only been trying to drift seriously for about a month.
Before that it was just powersliding through corners+spinning out

i'll try out a higher powered car, but last time i tried that, i was EVERYWHERE :dopey:
 
Last edited:
i started of with the six-axxis but recently got a g25. yeah it was crazy for the first couple of days but soon got the hang of things. i would say try the little suzuki capachino TUNED it's verry low powerd but is sooooo light. worked great for me and help alot while learning =D
 
i started of with the six-axxis but recently got a g25. yeah it was crazy for the first couple of days but soon got the hang of things. i would say try the little suzuki capachino TUNED it's verry low powerd but is sooooo light. worked great for me and help alot while learning =D

I actually found the tuned capp harder to drift.
I was using that to practice before the 350z, and I'm having a much easier time with the 350z.
My drifts with the tuned capp would die so quickly, I was basically powersliding through the corners:dunce:

Oh yeah, big thanks to dking
those videos on expert village helped
A LOT (even though it doesn't really reflect in my video, it did help)
 
Last edited:
Hey guys,
I finally got a video of one of my practice runs.
Was hoping I could get some constructive criticism...

Any input would be wholly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Edit: Argg, thanks MORAN-AUTO-350Z, forgot to put up my settings...
using a G25, FFB at 5
stock 350Z, ABS 1, all other aids off
N2 tires
I'm not using a wheel so I don't think I can help you. But Best Motoring's Drift Bible could help a bit, or perhaps a lot. I think it's up on Youtube. 👍
 
Last edited:
Hey there you seem to be suffering quite a lot of understeer because you are to smooth at applying the throttle, take some brave pills then go out for a run dont be affraid to stamp on the throttle entering a turn it doesnt matter if you spin you will learn to catch it. At the moment it looks like your just a bit hesitent to get the arse out.

Give it one good pumb to get the back out into the corner and then catch the slide and pump the throttle (this will keep momentom and speed in your slide, also if your using clutch then clutch kick it into the bend to start the drift ( As you come into the corner dip the clutch and rev the throttle then release the clutch as you turn into the corner)

Depending on the car/tires will depend on where in the rev range you would need to blip the throttle you should aim to release the clutch where the peak torque is.

Hope this helps, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK :cheers: S1's are the most realistic
 
s1's dam why am i using n1's??
 
S1's are the most realistic

Thanks for the in-depth advice.
Would you recommend starting off at S1's? or start with N's and then work my way up to S's?
 
I'd recommend the latter.
 
Thanks for the in-depth advice.
Would you recommend starting off at S1's? or start with N's and then work my way up to S's?
stick with n3's its plenty of grip. s1's would be used to go faster in the drift so i would say since your new to drifting the n3's would be plenty to give u the speed and angle that your looking for.


EDIT:: come to drift chat www.xat.com/gtdriftgroup and we can scedual some online drifting i'll try to help ya
 
Last edited:
stick with n3's its plenty of grip. s1's would be used to go faster in the drift so i would say since your new to drifting the n3's would be plenty to give u the speed and angle that your looking for.


EDIT:: come to drift chat www.xat.com/gtdriftgroup and we can scedual some online drifting i'll try to help ya

AIGHT
sounds like a plan,
i'll try and hit the group up this weekend.
 
Yes N3's are a great place to start far better than N1-N2's although I still much prefer S1' an a ZO6 lol
Come to drift chat like Moran-Auto says its far more fun drifting with others, you will pick it up in no time

PS Theres nothing wrong with starting off on S1's you will pick it up with practice, I just feel that S tires are spot on for realism with powerful cars and you will learn more techniques using them, N3,s are spot on for less powerful cars say sub 280bhp, N3's on a ZO6 feel like when I drift in the wet the car will slide under its own momentom once you have come of the gas for a slight second before snapping back meaning its just a bit more forgiving and makes your entry line more important because you have less mid corner grip to apply to help change line or angle/speed of that drift which becomes important if you begin to tandem
 
Last edited:
Hey guys,

Any input would be wholly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Edit: Argg, thanks MORAN-AUTO-350Z, forgot to put up my settings...
using a G25, FFB at 5
stock 350Z, ABS 1, all other aids off
N2 tires

Hey MightyMan,

I'm not as good as some of the other drifters around but I thought I put up a vid of me drifting with the same car AND an overlay view of the G25 so you can see how I do it.



Here are the settings I used :-

Controller: Logitech G25
FFB: 10
Power-Assisted Steering: ON
Transmission: Manual
Active Steering: OFF
Driving Physics: Professional
ASM: OFF
TC: OFF
Front Tires: N2
Rear Tires: N2

I use power asssited steering coz I tend to make very abrupt moves and I can't ever do that with power steering off... You'll also noticed I messed up a coupla corners and can't seem to drift the high speed turns nicely (after the tunnel). I use a mixture of brake, feint, lift-off and a combination of them to initiate the drift. I've nothing against using the e-brake just that it wasn't necessary in this situation.

Here's the same session but from an external view with the steering overlay as well :-



Hope this is of help to you (or at least you learn how NOT to do it.. :lol:)
I also appreciate any comments on improvements. Thanks!

:cheers:
 
Last edited:
Great vids wolfdude the timing with your actions and video is spot on so im sure that will help a lot, the only advice I would give is keep it up and try to control as much of the slide as possible with your throttle, its a lot easier to move your foot a few degrees than move the wheel,

ps im so jealous of your g25 lol
 
Great vids wolfdude the timing with your actions and video is spot on so im sure that will help a lot, the only advice I would give is keep it up and try to control as much of the slide as possible with your throttle, its a lot easier to move your foot a few degrees than move the wheel,

ps im so jealous of your g25 lol

hey! hey! drift-sensei! thanks for your advice, I'm trying to learn to control my drifts more with the throttle and have a smooth wheel movement. But bad habits are hard to get rid of :lol:

:cheers:
 
I have some question here. How come your wheel turn so smooth on countersteering? I kinda feel it's pretty hard to turn at FFB: 5 -_- and you have it at 10(Which is alot harder right?) I'm using a GT Force Pro btw. Another question is if i was able to slide my car somehow it would not move forward to the corner but keep sliding out to the side what am I doing wrong?
 
Wolfdude nice drifting as always ;)


ps im so jealous of your g25 lol

Pad like me?

Might go crazy and win the Pad championship lol or just go out to get a DFGT.
 
I feel like to make the wheel spin smooth its all about throttle control.
Recently turned my FFB settings up to 10 and i feel it is alot better
because you feel what is happening easier ,more force feed back would be better i think.
My driving has become more smooth since turning up the feedback.
350Z on N3's is perfecton with suspension tuning.
 
my personal opinion the more girp the more you have to punch the gas in a turn is it just me???? i thought it was about throttle control
 
I have some question here. How come your wheel turn so smooth on countersteering? I kinda feel it's pretty hard to turn at FFB: 5 -_- and you have it at 10(Which is alot harder right?) I'm using a GT Force Pro btw. Another question is if i was able to slide my car somehow it would not move forward to the corner but keep sliding out to the side what am I doing wrong?

My wheels turn smooth/fast because I turn Power-Assisted Steering ON. This is in the Options Menu under Steering Wheels. Some prefer not to have this ON but I can only drift with this ON... Think of this as power steering ;)

Wolfdude nice drifting as always ;)
...
Might go crazy and win the Pad championship lol or just go out to get a DFGT.

Thanks dude... You know I'm nowhere near the level of you guys who've been drifting since GT2,3 or 4. Still learning ;) Get a wheel... Christmas is coming so start behaving....

my personal opinion the more girp the more you have to punch the gas in a turn is it just me???? i thought it was about throttle control

Same here... more grip, the more I have to step on the throttle to spin the wheels.

:cheers:
 
Back