Help me to get back!

• Thread starter jtoribio94
  • 20 comments
Spain
Madrid
jtoribio94
So... a few years ago i stoped simracing, at the time i used to race assetto corsa and pc2, didn’t get to buy gran turismo sport.

Now i want to get back to it but i don’t know where things are at the moment.

My old setup is
- ps4
- thrustmatser t500
- rseat cockpit

So i have a few questions that i hope you can help me with!

- has the sim racing world gone fully into pc? If so, that would be my first gaming computer but i guess that specs and stuff can be found in this forum already

- is my wheel obsolete or i can still race with it? If not, what would you buy?

- what sims are good nowadays? The new AC?

Thank you!!

Oh and btw, don’t ever get a gf that is too obsessive

So... a few years ago i stoped simracing, at the time i used to race assetto corsa and pc2, didn’t get to buy gran turismo sport.

My old setup is
- ps4
- thrustmatser t500
- rseat cockpit

- has the sim racing world gone fully into pc? If so, that would be my first gaming computer but i guess that specs and stuff can be found in this forum already

Thank you!!

1) Sim racing world has always been fully on pc. Pure sim racers will never look a a game console unless it is for relaxation and not really true sim racing.
2) Yes you can, no problem
3) Pcars 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione
4) Wreckfest :P
5) A few rally games, such as WRC 8
6) rFactor 2
7) Automobilista 2 at the end of this year.

My old setup is
- ps4
- thrustmatser t500
- rseat cockpit

Thank you!!

You're good to jump straight back in with the games (and wheel) you already have, nothings changed much really 👍.

1) Sim racing world has always been fully on pc. Pure sim racers will never look a a game console unless it is for relaxation and not really true sim racing.
2) Yes you can, no problem
3) Pcars 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione
4) Wreckfest :P
5) A few rally games, such as WRC 8
6) rFactor 2
7) Automobilista 2 at the end of this year.

Gran Turismo has been much more influential then any other PC sim. I disagree with the statement that the people currently competing in Gran Turismo Sport and F1 2019 are not "true" simracers.

Gran Turismo has been much more influential then any other PC sim. I disagree with the statement that the people currently competing in Gran Turismo Sport and F1 2019 are not "true" simracers.
That is because they aren't. GT isn't even a true sim. And because some people are competing in esports, doesn't necessarily mean they are true sim racers.

That's some serious PC master race type bullcrap right there 👎.
Nope, it is not. You don't seem to get what I mean and keep your comments to yourself because you don't know anything about me. 👎

It seems that you are a serious console and GT fanboy. I used to love playing GT but when I sold my PS3 and GT5 copy, I also sold my pc stuff because I was done with sim racing. I'm NOT a true sim racer, I'm only a casual sim racer.

BTW, FYI, I like consoles and I'm have been thinking of getting a PS5 and Gran Turismo again. ;)
I like both pc and console gaming.

To stir the pot even more: true esport sim racers compete in iRacing and not this simcade Gran Turismo thing. :lol:

Last edited:
Nope, it is not. You don't seem to get what I mean and keep your comments to yourself because you don't know anything about me. 👎

It seems that you are a serious console and GT fanboy. I used to love playing GT but when I sold my PS3 and GT5 copy, I also sold my pc stuff because I was done with sim racing. I'm NOT a true sim racer, I'm only a casual sim racer.

BTW, FYI, I like consoles and I'm have been thinking of getting a PS5 and Gran Turismo again. ;)
I like both pc and console gaming.

To stir the pot even more: true esport sim racers compete in iRacing and not this simcade Gran Turismo thing. :lol:
You do not have to have a PC to be a serious/true sim racer... fact. What you're stating is pure PC master race elitist bullcrap.... even though you think it isn't.

And you're wrong about me. I'm not a serious console racer and I'm not a GT fanboy. I'm a casual gamer of all types of games (not just racing) that happens to have a sim rig.

Last edited:

No, but it's really where all the mega in depth hyper realistic sims are, such as ACC, rFactor, R3E and PayRacing iRacing are. That said you've already got an extremely good base with PC2 and AC.

No it's not obsolete. Most games do still support it, but it is an old model. As to where you go from there would really depend on which platform you eventually decide to do your sim racing on.

ACC is very good, but it really needs a hefty gaming rig with a good processor to bring the most out of it. If I was going to suggest anything to you then I would seriously look at Wreckfest. It's probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on, and in my opinion it's a very definitely a sim with pretensions of being an arcade game. Honestly it should be in every sim racers collection.

I think I need this thread to help me get involved in the first place. I'm interested in understanding which games support a real manual transmission interface (especially a realistic clutch), and am thinking of getting a racing rig to support that.

Is that a thing? A life-like clutch?

I should also mention that I'd far prefer to use a console for this endeavor (and I don't have one, aside from a PS2, and that seems like ancient history).

I think I need this thread to help me get involved in the first place. I'm interested in understanding which games support a real manual transmission interface (especially a realistic clutch), and am thinking of getting a racing rig to support that.

I should also mention that I'd far prefer to use a console for this endeavor (and I don't have one, aside from a PS2, and that seems like ancient history).

I seem to recall that iRacing supports it? Depends on the car of course, most race cars don't use a clutch, you just mash the sequential.

I don't know what's available (or good) on XBox but as far as the PS 4 console goes Assetto Corsa and Project Cars (1 & 2 ) would be your best bet. I think Wreckfest also has a reasonable clutch but I'm not too sure on that one. Just don't get anything with Gran Turismo on it, the clutch in that series is one of the worst.

This isn't based on my own personal experience, as I don't have a shifter, but from complaints/praises I've read on this forum. @Scaff is a very good source of this kind of information 👍.

That is because they aren't. GT isn't even a true sim. And because some people are competing in esports, doesn't necessarily mean they are true sim racers.

That is BS elitist talk in my opinion. Define a true simracer please?

You mean a clutch like in a roadcar or F1 style? The new products from fanatec have great options for F!-style clutches. Their gear are compatible with consoles.

P%20APM%20Big_01-1000x666.png

For more elaborate realistic roadcarstyle clutches like the ones from heusinkveld you should look at PC gaming. But I heard the ones from fanatec arent bad either.

Pro_Transparant_40_V3.png

Last edited:
I don't know what's available (or good) on XBox but as far as the PS 4 console goes Assetto Corsa and Project Cars (1 & 2 ) would be your best bet. I think Wreckfest also has a reasonable clutch but I'm not too sure on that one. Just don't get anything with Gran Turismo on it, the clutch in that series is one of the worst.

This isn't based on my own personal experience, as I don't have a shifter, but from complaints/praises I've read on this forum. @Scaff is a very good source of this kind of information 👍.
As far as a shifter and clutch goes, Assetto Corsa is the best implementation of our on console.

I seem to recall that iRacing supports it? Depends on the car of course, most race cars don't use a clutch, you just mash the sequential.

You mean a clutch like in a roadcar or F1 style? The new products from fanatec have great options for F!-style clutches. Their gear are compatible with consoles.

P%20APM%20Big_01-1000x666.png

For more elaborate realistic roadcarstyle clutches like the ones from heusinkveld you should look at PC gaming. But I heard the ones from fanatec arent bad either.

Pro_Transparant_40_V3.png

As far as a shifter and clutch goes, Assetto Corsa is the best implementation of our on console.

Thanks everybody.

So would I be selling myself short by not going PC? Is the 3rd pedal experience in Asseto Corsa on PS4 significantly worse than some PC-only game?

Thanks everybody.

So would I be selling myself short by not going PC? Is the 3rd pedal experience in Asseto Corsa on PS4 significantly worse than some PC-only game?
As far as I know it's comparable to PC titles, and works the same as AC on PC (but the game itself is smaller because of the lack of game mods on console).

Thanks everybody.

It depends which race class you prefer to drive. The lower echelon clutch does add to the experience, but higher/mid tier use paddleshifts anyways. I never understood why people still want to heel and toe. Modern racingcars allready use semi-auto gearboxes.

GT Sport has the best online racing setup, with the most people, and IMO the best racing (thanks to iRacing's incident system). But it also has the most clowns and hacks. Also, the physics are good, but have reality holes. iRacing is a better all around sim/game, but it costs exponentially more and can be even more frustrating depending on who's around you. PCars2 and Assetto Corsa are fun, but IMO, lack alot, at least on console. I've been wanting to try Assetto Corsa Comp. for the PC, but haven't got around to it. I like Raceroom, and its a good middle ground for PC sims/games as far as cost and realism. It has low/no entry cost and decent number of users with interesting competitions. Its physics are different, but solid.

As far as pedals... I only race what's fastest. So the third pedal gets very little use. I haven't run across any races that required the use of a shifter and clutch, so its paddles all day for me.

And so is Forza Horizon/Motorsport, right? ;):lol:

Your T500RS is a great wheel with really good ffb and fantastic compatibility, on PC it supports everything out there. The main reasons (IMO) to go PC is compatibility, customizability and mods – and guaranteed 60 fps in all titles (as long as your comp can manage it).
I would use the recommended system specs for Assetto Corsa Competizione when deciding which computer to buy or build, since that title is the most demanding of all sims right now:
Intel Core i5-8600K or AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
16 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Radeon RX 580 (would probably go even higher here)
Most sims are good nowadays, at least those I have tested. In alphabetical order: Assetto Corsa (AC), Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC), Automobilista, Project Cars 2, RaceRoom Racing Experience (R3E), rFactor2. On the rally side: WRC8.
Made you stow away your rig, did she? :D
Define "true simracer".
Like I said above, main reasons to go PC: compatibility, customizability, mods and 60 fps.
- Although, when the PS5 and the nextbox comes in 2020 the console world should finally be rid of the 30 fps disease. -
Under "compatibility" I would put the many many options you have on the hardware side of things, as in the sheer number of wheels and pedals and other gear that is available.
AFAIK all the biggest sims (the ones I mention above) offer a proper clutch implementation. As for hardware, I can think of two right now that has a "realistic clutch feel". The protosimtech pedals and the Heusinkveld. Not sure if the Clubsport V3 has that "realistic feel" on the clutch.

Last edited:
Back