Help me understand please

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
On the Japan Susuka Circuit Gr. prototype SERIES.
No matter what l do in any car l can never get near the top 10!
I am always last to start, then it rains between laps 3-5 so l pull in pits and put wets on.
Straight away l am released outside the pit perimeter so l get a penalty.
The other cars don’t pit stop and skid all over the place.
I for some reason also go ice skating?
Yet l have wets on and they haven’t.
On the main straight l am forced to decelerate from 200 to 60.

So l go from a 1.50 lap to a 3.36.
Eventually l no not how l gain a few places
But my fuel suddenly disappears so l am forced to make a pit stop.
Onward we go and lap 8 or nine just as l am making headway like position 8 my fuel goes again!
Back into pit stop and again thrown into the pit lane perimeter,
Wow another penalty.
And let’s throw in a half doz spin offs on a straight track with no other car about!
Why?
All l ask is for a level playing field.
I just purchased the 15nm Fanatec DD
Coupled together with V3 peddles and the rig is a Red Bull play seat ( that really is not man enough for the Fanatec set up.
This lot with import duty was around £2000.
I should be enjoying this game but sad to say l am not any more.
There are a few other menus and licences l am
Having difficulty on as well.
Why are we always the last on the grid to start?
I am 35sec behind the leader on the 1st corner.
To end l am a 67 year old Pensioner from Surrey UK.
Please be respectful in your answer as l am new to this, so no l am not familiar with sim racing.
I have raced up to 200mph in real life and spent my entire working life in the transport industry having driven millions yes millions of miles.
So l am aware of what is reality and what is not.
Cheers guys

Attachments

• 10F0DEA8-ED5E-4E79-8B98-B34FFB44942A.jpeg
    10F0DEA8-ED5E-4E79-8B98-B34FFB44942A.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 4
I am always last to start, then it rains between laps 3-5 so l pull in pits and put wets on.

Onward we go and lap 8 or nine just as l am making headway like position 8 my fuel goes again!
Wow another penalty.
And let’s throw in a half doz spin offs on a straight track with no other car about!
Why?
There's... a lot going on here, and without seeing it we're going to have a bad time solving it. Can you take screenshots/video using the console's inbuilt Share/Create features and share them here?

However, aside from that you shouldn't be "forced to decelerate from 200 to 60" just because it's raining. It suggests that there's something fundamentally wrong with what you're doing.

You'll also not get automatic pit lane exit penalties. More likely than not, you're getting the penalty for crossing the pit entry lines.

The comments about how your fuel "suddenly disappears" suggests you're not keeping an eye on your fuel consumption (this is the screen with the green markings in the multi-function display) and either need to drive more conservatively to preserve your fuel - including short-shifting, which is a good idea when it's raining too - or switch to a leaner fuel map (you have six levels on the same MFD screen). It doesn't vanish, it diminishes according to your driving.

When you say that you switch to "wets", do you need to use full Wet tyres? There's a surface water gauge left of screen which shows three levels of wetness: if the gauge is below the first marker, it's dry enough to use slicks; if the gauge is above the second marker, it's wet enough to require Wets; if it's between those, Intermediate tyres are what you need. Once the track dries out, drive in the wetter parts off the racing line to preserve your Inters until it's well below the first marker - otherwise you'll encounter patches where your slicks will give up if you fit them too early.

There's also a weather radar that shows you the amount of rain coming in, and generally light blue is slick weather, blue to green is Inters, and yellow to red is Wet.

I'd also note that your fuel and tyre consumption, and general vehicle driveability, will vary greatly within the Gr.1 class (although you don't need a Gr.1 car for this series). If you're going at it in an old Group C car, you'll likely have a bad time on all fronts (although the Mazda 787B is quite frugal) unless you're already quite capable in the game. A more modern hybrid LMP1H is kinder, and the Mazda LM55 Vision GT is quite the weapon - although keep an eye on fuel consumption and don't rev it out.

Edit: Just ran the race in the LM55 and won by 18 seconds. Did seven laps on Racing Medium, three on Racing Soft, with around 15 litres of fuel picked up in the stop. Never needed wet/inter tyres as it never got wet enough - a little lift and coast to manage deceleration with the moist surface - and certainly didn't pick up a pit lane penalty...

1710640617821.png

Oh, and the "starting last" (or near enough) thing is just how GT has worked for quite a while now.

Last edited:
There's... a lot going on here, and without seeing it we're going to have a bad time solving it. Can you take screenshots/video using the console's inbuilt Share/Create features and share them here?

However, aside from that you shouldn't be "forced to decelerate from 200 to 60" just because it's raining. It suggests that there's something fundamentally wrong with what you're doing.

You'll also not get automatic pit lane exit penalties. More likely than not, you're getting the penalty for crossing the pit entry lines.

The comments about how your fuel "suddenly disappears" suggests you're not keeping an eye on your fuel consumption (this is the screen with the green markings in the multi-function display) and either need to drive more conservatively to preserve your fuel - including short-shifting, which is a good idea when it's raining too - or switch to a leaner fuel map (you have six levels on the same MFD screen). It doesn't vanish, it diminishes according to your driving.

When you say that you switch to "wets", do you need to use full Wet tyres? There's a surface water gauge left of screen which shows three levels of wetness: if the gauge is below the first marker, it's dry enough to use slicks; if the gauge is above the second marker, it's wet enough to require Wets; if it's between those, Intermediate tyres are what you need. Once the track dries out, drive in the wetter parts off the racing line to preserve your Inters until it's well below the first marker - otherwise you'll encounter patches where your slicks will give up if you fit them too early.

There's also a weather radar that shows you the amount of rain coming in, and generally light blue is slick weather, blue to green is Inters, and yellow to red is Wet.

I'd also note that your fuel and tyre consumption, and general vehicle driveability, will vary greatly within the Gr.1 class (although you don't need a Gr.1 car for this series). If you're going at it in an old Group C car, you'll likely have a bad time on all fronts (although the Mazda 787B is quite frugal) unless you're already quite capable in the game. A more modern hybrid LMP1H is kinder, and the Mazda LM55 Vision GT is quite the weapon - although keep an eye on fuel consumption and don't rev it out.

Oh, and the "starting last" (or near enough) thing is just how GT has worked for quite a while now.
Thanks for that.
Unfortunately most of it is beyond me as l am new lol.
It just seems to me on a very few races that l am battling with every one.
This particular race involves driving as though you stole the car otherwise you won’t get anyware.
The forced deceleration is the penalty from as you say going over the pit lane on exit.
However when they give me control after Pitting l am already on the lines!
As for wet tyres l pulled into the pits when it rained torrentially.
And had them put on.
The other cars didn’t and it was like an ice rink with them skidding all over the place,
Now with me having wets on in this downpour l should be able to at least keep my car on the track
Yet it’s not so as l am also skidding like a drunk.
And no one can get to over 30mph for some reason
The car l am using is the only one that fits the remit in my garage.
Mercedes CLK-LM ‘98 599 bhp /940kg MR/NA
Just to throw insult into the mix, my steering wheel curser freezes whilst in the pit and it’s race over for me as l have to turn everything off.
I have not connected it to the PC yet as they have not put any drivers or software for this 15nm FANATEC
So l am on a massive learning curve with a long wait.
Many thanks for your kind response
Peter

The car l am using is the only one that fits the remit in my garage.
Mercedes CLK-LM ‘98 599 bhp /940kg MR/NA
You won't get far with that. It's a Gr.2 car, and everything else in the race is a category higher. They'll be more powerful, have more downforce, be better on fuel consumption, and I personally find the CLK-LM a nasty car to drive.

Get yourself a Mazda LM55 Vision GT (either of them; the Gr.1 is 50PP worse but will still shatter this and any Gr.1 race) for 1m credits.

The forced deceleration is the penalty from as you say going over the pit lane on exit.
However when they give me control after Pitting l am already on the lines!
I've just done the race and didn't get any pit lane exit penalty. There's no track in the game where pitlane autodrive results in a pit lane exit penalty. It's likely you're exceeding the lines on pit lane entry - this won't show the penalty until you leave the pits, making you think it's for the exit.
As for wet tyres l pulled into the pits when it rained torrentially.
And had them put on.
The other cars didn’t and it was like an ice rink with them skidding all over the place,
Now with me having wets on in this downpour l should be able to at least keep my car on the track
Yet it’s not so as l am also skidding like a drunk.
Again, it depends on what the surface water meter is showing. You can see in my screenshot above, it's right on the slick/inter cusp but I stayed on slicks because the rain was patchy (per the radar) and unlikely to build up further, and with care the slicks can last a couple of pixels into inter territory.

I have raced up to 200mph in real life and spent my entire working life in the transport industry having driven millions yes millions of miles.
It is this line in your OP that has me very interested, a 67 yr old Brit that has raced in real life up to 200 mph, there are not many British GP drivers that is unknown to many and one that had worked in transport industry too, very curious to know who you were on the track, and who you raced with and against. I am beginning to dive in the history of British GP in the late 70s and 80s. And wanting to know more....

It is this line in your OP that has me very interested, a 67 yr old Brit that has raced in real life up to 200 mph, there are not many British GP drivers that is unknown to many and one that had worked in transport industry too, very curious to know who you were on the track, and who you race with and against. I am beginning to dive in the history of British GP in the late 70s and 80s. And wanting to know mo

Sorry l wish l had not written that now.

Wow another penalty.
Why?
Coupled together with V3 peddles and the rig is a Red Bull play seat ( that really is not man enough for the Fanatec set up.
Please be respectful in your answer as l am new to this, so no l am not familiar with sim racing.
Cheers guys
I’ll make a reference video for this race, gimme a bit.

Wow another penalty.
Why?
Cheers guys

I’ll make a reference video for this race, gimme a bit.
I suggest using the ‘16 Toyota TS050, it’s good on fuel, fast out of corners, and has decent grip being AWD. I ended up going with a 1 stop, but a 2 stop or no stop is also possible depending on how much and when it rains. I started on Mediums and switched to Intermediate's when the it started raining. The rain isn’t the exact same every time, one race I could have just run mediums the entire race, because it never got wet enough for wet tires. On this run, I almost screwed myself over with the intermediates, as the rain meter peaked into the 3rd bar slightly a couple of times, but I got lucky in the end. P2 was over a minute behind on this run, even though it was not where near a clean run. So there should be lots of wiggle room in there, and still win the race.

IMG_4954.jpeg

Last edited:

Wow another penalty.
Why?
Cheers guys

Fellow 60+ year old ways in. Be patient... Driving "sim" games have a learning curve, I'd say especially if you recently switched to that fancy wheel setup. Spend a few hours, or weeks, driving slower cars in easier events, really get a feel for the limits. In real life if you were going to do a track day, would you jump into an F1 car right away or maybe start in something you could actually drive and have fun? Get familiar with the HUD, there's a lot of information and can be overwhelming in the beginning, it was for me, it took me months to realize you could change the fuel map and zoom in/out on the weather radar. I remember trying the Prototype races the first few times and feeling like they were impossible and unfair, turns out they're neither, but those races are difficult "endgame" content. Stick with it, be patient with yourself and enjoy the victories! Cheers

Something else I thought of, the 30 minute Le Sarthe event is great practice for learning the nuances of this game. It has all the variables, weather, tire wear, fuel economy awareness and many different viable strategies for victory. Your CLK is an easy winner plus all those credits!

What tracks in the UK can you get a car up to 200 mph on?
Silverstone, but the man said he is a Brit, does not mean he only raced in the UK... there are other tracks all over Europe and such he could have raced...

Buy a group1 car, slicks and wet tyres, run hard on slicks to begin with, watch the radar and pit before it rains, stick on wets and turn TC upto 3 and short shift to avoid spinning the drive tyres out, by the end of the first wet lap you should be up with the leaders watch for the dry line before coming back to slicks.

Back