Help: My next car, need something with some dignity, and sex appeal

  • Thread starter Thread starter porkchop87
  • 28 comments
  • 5,617 views
Messages
306
Messages
porkchop_7
Guys, I know there's a 100 threads like this... but please bear with me... I'm a 23 year old who owns a 2005 Chevy Aveo.

185243162_d7763073a9.jpg


I'm looking to get a new car (new or used), and I want something with a little more sex appeal... a little more dignity... definitely more horsepower... something I'd be proud to do an oil change on... I know a lot about cars... yet I have no idea what I want.

You have to understand, I go to university, don't have much money, but I don't want another dud... I want to be able to proudly work on my car... and not be embarrassed to admit to my ladyfriends that I own it...

I don't want a civic though... but that's approximately my price range... anyone have any ideas... what I like is too expensive... :nervous:
 
1992-2001 Honda Prelude. Power, sex appeal, and every time you shift you get to scream "VTAAAAAAAAK!"
 
1992-2001 Honda Prelude. Power, sex appeal, and every time you shift you get to scream "VTAAAAAAAAK!"

That's actually a really good response... but my buddy has a 'lude... :grumpy:
 
Or get any Rx7.:lol:
 
Can't you get yourself a used, imported Skyline up there in Canada?
 
Which is the max value you can afford?

Around the price of a new civic is the best I can do...

Can't you get yourself a used, imported Skyline up there in Canada?

I could, I do like skylines, but it isn't very practical (right-hand side driver, import fees?)... annnnnd now I'm sounding picky... sorry... these are good suggestions to put on my shortlist though...

I was also considering a used Impreza to destroy winters up here... but it may be out of my price range... unless somebody else knows better....

But please keep the suggestions coming...
 
What about a Porsche 928? 10k to 20k & looks to die for!
1995_porsche_928-pic-3468.jpeg
 
Last edited:
A Price of new Civic?

Hmm lets say 18 Grand, because some extras or what not..


How about go over the top with a S55 AMG

Tell me WHY NOT? Your young, and need some Spice in your life over that lil Cheavy!
 
How bout a newer Tacoma? Good for the winters. And a 4wd version would be a blast on the trails!

2008_tacoma_double_cab_1.jpg
 
All very good suggestions... I am grateful...
I think I may have made my choice... DJS2005's Porche suggestion inspired my choice...

nissan_300zx_twin_turbo%281990%29.jpg

Nissan 300zx

Okay, okay... I know winters will be nuts with RWD.... and this car will be over decade old... it will probably require a lot of maintenance and upkeep... and TLC... but... comments? Cool? Sub-zero? Uncool?
 
Try your hardest to find one that is unmolested; as stock as possible. And if you can, find a Z32 Twin Turbo version.
 
Try your hardest to find one that is unmolested; as stock as possible. And if you can, find a Z32 Twin Turbo version.

Thanks, this is sound advice.... so far I've found some decent listings where the car appears to be unriced and kept in good condition. I will not be picky on year, colour, features, or kms, as long as it's in great shape and runs well. But yes, TT is a must.
 
That's actually a really good response... but my buddy has a 'lude... :grumpy:

So? At one point, me and 3 other friends all had 'ludes. '93 SR-V (mine), '91 SR, '90 SR and '84. When we'd all meet up it looked like the local Prelude club was having a meeting, and rolling down the road together was always fun. Nothing wrong with owning the same car as a friend man, especially if its a 'lude.
 

Fair enough. I've moved it up to second on the shortlist.... whichever on my shortlist that I find that's in the best condition will be my next car at this point...
 
Okay, okay... I know winters will be nuts with RWD.... and this car will be over decade old... it will probably require a lot of maintenance and upkeep... and TLC... but... comments? Cool? Sub-zero? Uncool?

I've owned a TT 300ZX, you do not know what you're getting yourself into. Yes, any car from that era is going to require upkeep. A turbo car from that era is going to need even more upkeep. This is not a cheap car to maintain nor is it easy to work on.

Worst part, this car has not aged well. I loved my 300ZX and have nothing but fond memories of it, but whenever I see one on the road I always say to myself 'it doesn't look as good as I remember it."

Of the Japanese turbo sports cars of the 90's, I'd have to say the RX-7 & Supra are the timeless ones. The 300ZX? Not so much...

Thus, the THOUSANDS it will require to be in tip-top shape will never justify owning one unless you're a huge Z-car nut.

....

But wait, I offer solutions too!

$1,500 is all you need to spend for a car. Go to a Gov't auction and buy an old fleet FWD Impala or the like. For winters, everyone should be driving a beater.

Why? B/C you cannot control the other cars around you. Soccer mom in her big 4WD SUV with bald tires is going to destroy whatever is in front of her. Namely, your car.

$1500 beater? You win. Totaled out Japanese sports car you've sunk a lot of $$$ into? You lose.

Buy a beater for winter, for commuting, and crappy weather.

.....

But what about sex appeal and something you can be proud of? Well, unless you're a pretzel maker...you're not going to be proud of anything covered in road salt.

So what about those nice sunny days when spring is in the air and women's skirts magically get a lot shorter? Easy - you need vintage Detroit iron.

Doesn't matter how environmentally mental the chick is; if she shaves her armpits she'll love a ride in a muscle car. These are 'manly' cars that rumble and shake all the right parts of a woman. Even better, they're something you'll be proud of owning and you'll own it for a long time.

Look for GM products between 68-72 w/a 350. Big block cars tend to fetch higher prices as do numbers matching cars. Something like a Z/28 or SS Camaro clone would be perfect. Typically, sellers get less than 50cents on the dollar for a nicely done car. So you can buy someone's project in which they've already spent over $20,000 for the same price as that 300ZX.

Between the 2, which one do you think will be easier to maintain and look better whist cruising the boulevard?

....

But wait, there's more!

Ever figure in insurance into your budget? Liability on a beater will be pennies compared to a turbo Nissan w/comprehensive. Even better, you can insure your muscle car for the road only during the nice months of the year...saving you more $$$.

Seriously, get some old iron in your garage and buy a beater to leave outside. Every time you drive your 'nice' car it will feel special, which makes that $$$ even better spent.
 
Don't rule out the Tacoma either. A 4x4 model would help with traction on the winter roads. And the ground clearance would be high enough to keep road salt to a minimum. And since it's Japanese, it's cooler than domestic pickups.

Here is one in your area.
 
Don't rule out the Tacoma either. A 4x4 model would help with traction on the winter roads. And the ground clearance would be high enough to keep road salt to a minimum. And since it's Japanese, it's cooler than domestic pickups.

Here is one in your area.



You know these trucks have frame rot issues right? Ground clearance means ziltch when it comes to road salt as the tires kick it up. Google the recall if you don't believe me.
 
I've owned a TT 300ZX, you do not know what you're getting yourself into.
Yeah, but...
But wait, I offer solutions too!
Well, wait a second...
But what about sex appeal and something you can be proud of?
Alright, hold on, what if...
But wait, there's more!
:banghead:

Something like a Z/28 or SS Camaro clone would be perfect.

I see. Could you show me an example of this or something more specific? I'm having trouble finding listings or cars like this.

Don't rule out the Tacoma either.

I haven't. In fact, your suggestion changed my mind even more.

How about this guys? I take a bit of each suggestion... and come up with a hybrid? A 2002(ish) Subaru Impreza WRX... with turbo... with 4WD... with sex appeal... can be taken out in the salts and snow of Canada... leaves me with dignity... and under 10gs!!!! Decent on insurance, no? I mean, it's a 4 door sedan?

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/SUBARU/IMPREZA/MILTON/Ontario/5_9392833_ON20090715110843576/

That's not the exact listing I would get, it's just an example... it doesn't even have to be that year... as long as it's a WRX... are these cars reasonable prospects for under 10gs or so?

BrutherSuperior? astrosdude91? Anyone else?
 
This took 2min to find;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968...1749163?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43a3d9802b

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969...1212921?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f05db87f9

Much more sex appeal that any Subie...

(search ebay motors 1968-72 & set your price - shipping a car isn't as expensive as you think if you're willing to wait)


Then check local listings for a car under $2000 to drive in winter. Local gov't auctions of fleet vehicles is a decent place to find a cheap & reliable beater. Driving a 'nice car' 12mo out of the year is stupid if you live in the snow/salt belt. After a year or 2 the honeymoon is long over as rock chips, door dings, and upkeep costs start adding up...while your insurance premium only goes up.

Get a cheap car man. Clean the interior really well, change the oil occasionally, and drive it into the ground. Keep something special in the garage for nice days, special occasions, and hot dates. As long as you don't buy a rust bucket or polished turd, you'll never regret owning a muscle car. Don't expect it to be a sports car or a 1/4mi rocketship, it's just a very-very cool piece of history than makes a wonderful noise.

They're something special.
 
I think my car's got some decent sex appeal, gets quite a bit more attention than I expected with it. It's also sorta the reason why I met the girl I'm seeing haha.

 
You got a girl with a mullet machine? I'm impressed!
 
There are some decent suggestions in this thread, but please be wary of the maintenance that comes with some of these cars, ala the Mercedes & Porsche that were suggested.

With those cars, you get what you pay for, & considering your budget, you're probably going to want the most of out what you can afford with them.
 
You know these trucks have frame rot issues right? Ground clearance means ziltch when it comes to road salt as the tires kick it up. Google the recall if you don't believe me.

I thought just the first gen Tundra's (like mine:scared:) had the frame rot issues. I didn't think the Tacoma's suffered from the same issues. As far as road salt goes, we rarely get snow down here in Houston. And even when we do, it never sticks. So we don't have road salt down here. So maybe it's best that you didn't listen to me.:lol:

In regards to getting a muscle car. It would be a cool idea. But if you can't drive it for several months out of the year, then it seems like you'll be missing out on alot of fun that you could be having with another car.

A Subie WRX wouldn't be a bad choice. My friend almost bought a 2005. They are pretty good and quick little cars. And you can drive it all year round.

On the flip side, you could look at an Evo. But I don't trust Mitsubishi's bad reliability problems.

But whatever you get, just make sure you will be happy with it.👍
 
In regards to getting a muscle car. It would be a cool idea. But if you can't drive it for several months out of the year, then it seems like you'll be missing out on alot of fun that you could be having with another car.


Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Like I said before, a car that you have garaged & babied for nice sunny days will always feel special. It won't depreciate, it won't get smashed by sliding into something b/c of ice, it won't be covered in salt, and you have something to look forward to in Toronto at springtime...b/c the Leafs sure as hell are not going to the playoffs.
 
You got a girl with a mullet machine? I'm impressed!

It's way better than the usual rice mobile that everyone my age around here seems to have.
 
This took 2min to find
This is very tempting... I love muscle cars... but it's tough to find these in my area without having to dish out a lot of dough. And tough to find because clones are rarer in Canada than in the States... unless I get one from the US... it's a possibility. Another thing is, around here the winters are very long. It's probably why you don't see many cars like that (muscle cars) around here... maybe that's just another reason to get one.

Then check local listings for a car under $2000 to drive in winter.
I may as well just hold onto my Aveo to beat around in the winter, then take out my pussywagon in the summer. Or is there something I'm missing?

There are some decent suggestions in this thread, but please be wary of the maintenance that comes with some of these cars, ala the Mercedes & Porsche that were suggested.
Noted.

On the flip side, you could look at an Evo. But I don't trust Mitsubishi's bad reliability problems.

But whatever you get, just make sure you will be happy with it.:tup
I've looked at Evos too. It's also on the shortlist. Of course, I must be happy with it. But to be fair, I would probably be happier with anything other than the car I own right now. Look, I haven't done an oil change on a car since I've owned mine... I've just lost the passion, I stopped caring. But I want to be happy with what I own. At the same time, I like too many things, I'm not loyal to a make of car, I appreciate many cars. So I don't want to end up with a dud. I thought what better way to ask for advice on my next car than on a car forum.

b/c the Leafs sure as hell are not going to the playoffs.
Leafs who? It's been years since I've watched the team without a paper bag over my head.
 
Nobody blames you for not caring. It's really hard to car when you drive an Aveo hatchback.:sick:
 
Back