Help!!! Need tune tips to increase tire life

• Thread starter Ledeof
  • 16 comments
United States
Detroit
Casuals
I would appreciate some tips to increase the tire wear for a Formula Gran Turismo in Indy oval track for an online race.

Tire wear is set to normal and the car is limited to 700 hp / 650 cv.

I can't run more than 17 laps full trottle with racing soft tires.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I would appreciate some tips to increase the tire wear for a Formula Gran Turismo in Indy oval track for an online race.

Tire wear is set to normal and the car is limited to 700 hp / 650 cv.

I can't run more than 17 laps full trottle with racing soft tires.

Thanks in advance!!
If you post the setup you currently have we can more easily evaluate where you are losing tire life. :)

My first impulse would be to try some camber <1.0
Which tire is loosing life the fastest? outside front or inside rear?
Also what are your Aero settings?

The tires loosing life fast are the outside both right front and right rear equally. The outside tires are burning up. The inside tires are fine.

Aero I set ful way to left, at minimum (I don't remember the values) due to the oval track.

The tires loosing life fast are the outside both right front and right rear equally. The outside tires are burning up. The inside tires are fine.

Aero I set ful way to left, at minimum (I don't remember the values) due to the oval track.
Ok I figured that's where your aero was at. Add a couple clicks to the ARB values transfer some weight to the inside tires.
Also how much more life are you looking for couple laps? like say to 20 laps before you should PIT?

I'm looking for at least 20 laps. 21 would be great.

I can run until lap 18 when the tires are level 2 and the car becomes hard to drive. The rear makes the car rotate when tire is level 2. As the race has 80 laps I'm trying to do 3 stops. If possible 2, but would need to run until lap 27. I really don`t think it is possible even with racing hard tires. I didn't see so much difference in tire life for this car in this track.

I'm looking for at least 20 laps. 21 would be great.

I can run until lap 18 when the tires are level 2 and the car becomes hard to drive. The rear makes the car rotate when tire is level 2. As the race has 80 laps I'm trying to do 3 stops. If possible 2, but would need to run until lap 27. I really don`t think it is possible even with racing hard tires. I didn't see so much difference in tire life for this car in this track.
how long are the other guys running in the race before they get fresh rubber?

how long are the other guys running in the race before they get fresh rubber?
20 laps. Only few can run the twenty laps full throttle. Some of them must go a little bit slower in the last lap to get the pit with safety.

Have you tested running some aero? This is Indy, not Daytona. Would you gain enough in the corners to make it worth the extra downforce and less sliding of the tires?
I'll try this and checjk the balance between the tire life and lap time. You are right maybe losing a bit of speed can save the tires

20 laps. Only few can run the twenty laps full throttle. Some of them must go a little bit slower in the last lap to get the pit with safety.
Also it may worth looking into slowing down a bit for the turns even if you loose say .500 a lap getting 23-25 laps on a set will make that up I think. Cause on the last set you can go all out.
Maybe a little of bit everything suggested will get you to the magic 25-27 lap range.

I would definitely think you'd need to run some camber in order to extend the life of those Racing Soft tires. Also, like Motor City Hami mentioned, your car is sliding a bit in the corners. You could try some aero, as he suggested, but you may also want to adjust how much throttle you're applying throughout the entire turn. Sliding chews up tires. I was racing at Motegi's oval track a few weeks ago. We were all running Chevrolet Camaro's (2010) modified to GT3 specifications. I got bumped or I swerved to avoid a car, I can't remember which, but I got sideways and slid at about 130 MPH and I literally watched my tire meter go 4...3...2...1! By time I stopped and straightened the car out my car was completely unmanageable. Now, your sliding isn't nearly as severe as my example, but at the speeds you're travelling the lateral sliding is still going to eat away at those outside tires.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I would suggest that you make changes - one at a time! - and go run some laps in an online room set to private but set tire wear at very fast. Run a couple of stints in your current setup to establish the baseline set for your current setup on very fast wear. Then apply the changes one at a time and see if they help or hurt your goals. I'm recommending setting tire wear to very fast just so you don't have to run 20 laps each time.

Good luck!! :cheers: 👍

Guys! ALB123, Otaliema, Motor City and DaBomm... a bit of every single tip you all gave to me and the car is great now:

- Added a bit of camber and Aero and now the car is more stable in the corners.

- Average lap times reduced from 39.6 to 39.5 s, due, I think, to the stability on the corners, now I have more corner exit speed.

- Added stiff to the AR Bars and the outside tires are not burning too much. It takes more time to become red during the corners.

- I can run 20 laps with full throttle safely. 21 if I run more carefully about the line and speed.

And believe me, It still has margin to be improved!! But the race is today and I already feel prepared for that.

Thank you all! :cheers::)👍:gtpflag:

- I can run 20 laps with full throttle safely. 21 if I run more carefully about the line and speed.

And believe me, It still has margin to be improved!! But the race is today and I already feel prepared for that.

I'm glad we could help you meet your goal and good luck in your race today. :D

Guys! ALB123, Otaliema, Motor City and DaBomm... a bit of every single tip you all gave to me and the car is great now:

- Added a bit of camber and Aero and now the car is more stable in the corners.

- Average lap times reduced from 39.6 to 39.5 s, due, I think, to the stability on the corners, now I have more corner exit speed.

- Added stiff to the AR Bars and the outside tires are not burning too much. It takes more time to become red during the corners.

great to hear. Now see if you can push it out to 25 laps 👍 the longer you run after your friends have pit means you can adjust your stratagy and beat them in a way they can't do anything about. Other then crashing into you. :lol:

Back