Help Needed - Daily Races Unplayable

• Thread starter OakenGoby
  • 7 comments
United States
United States
I’ve played GT7 for the past two months or so with very few internet connectivity-related issues. For the last two weeks, though, I have been unable to participate in a single daily race. I can enter the race and during the rolling start my car just moves to the front of the pack and the other cars remain stationary. I’m usually able to complete the race, passing the stationary cars every lap. The end results are normal - i.e., my finishing position is based on my overall race time. I’m unable to actively participate in the race.

My internet is about 400-500 down and 12-30 up with ping between 15-35. The internet connectivity test shows “good network environment.” I’ve reinstalled GT7, power cycled my modem/router, and power cycled the ps5, all to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you gone through this list? If not, that's a good starting place:

Have you gone through this list? If not, that's a good starting place:

Yes. I’m strapped with the settings available on my gateway (T-Mobile 5G). Again, all was fine for months until about two weeks ago. I’m able to assign a static IP and that’s about it as far as settings go.
IMG_5298.jpeg

Last edited:
As in... a mobile phone network data connection?

Matthew Broderick GIF
Yes. I have a home gateway that operates on 5G. It’s the only thing available to me. Posted my test results above. Also…

Attachments

• IMG_5299.jpeg
    IMG_5299.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 7
I have a home gateway that operates on 5G. It’s the only thing available to me.
Honestly, I'm amazed you've not seen an issue before now - I'd absolutely expect the "drive alone" phenomenon* from a mobile data connection; mobile data is terrible for latency, and for packet loss. FYI, bandwidth isn't immediately relevant once you're into double digits, other than giving your connection more space for doing other things at the same time; you could play GT7 online perfectly well with 8 up/2 down.

Moreover, a quick Google suggests T-Mobile rather likes slapping people who use P2P on data with a throttled connection - and Daily Races use a mesh peer-to-peer connection. You might not have changed anything in the last two weeks, but that doesn't mean nothing has changed...

Really, there's not anything anyone here can do to help with it. If you want a better experience, a landline/cable connection is the way to go - but if that's not available you're really out of options I'm afraid.

*There's also a solid chance it's only you who thinks you're driving alone, while everyone else can see you and may even take hits from you that you don't know about.

Honestly, I'm amazed you've not seen an issue before now - I'd absolutely expect the "drive alone" phenomenon* from a mobile data connection; mobile data is terrible for latency, and for packet loss. FYI, bandwidth isn't immediately relevant once you're into double digits, other than giving your connection more space for doing other things at the same time; you could play GT7 online perfectly well with 8 up/2 down.

Moreover, a quick Google suggests T-Mobile rather likes slapping people who use P2P on data with a throttled connection - and Daily Races use a mesh peer-to-peer connection. You might not have changed anything in the last two weeks, but that doesn't mean nothing has changed...

Really, there's not anything anyone here can do to help with it. If you want a better experience, a landline/cable connection is the way to go - but if that's not available you're really out of options I'm afraid.

*There's also a solid chance it's only you who thinks you're driving alone, while everyone else can see you and may even take hits from you that you don't know about.

I appreciate you trying to help. I’ve used the service for over a year with very few issues, including online gaming. I’ve been in contact with T-Mobile - no changes on their end other than 5G SA. I’m looking into external antenna and disabling WiFi on the gateway to see if that changes anything. The gateway performs double duty as a cellular modem and WiFi router.

Latest Posts

Back