Help needed in seeking a new wheel setup!

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Hybrid_Tifoso
Hi guys,

I need your help in searching for a new gaming setup to mount my steering wheel, but before that, a prelude.

I am the owner of a wheel, and since the only table that is in front of the TV is made of glass that nobody would dare to affix their wheels to, I always mount it on a tall flat chair with practically no chairback, and I’d sit on a movable chair when playing GT5. Unfortunately, whenever I step on the pedals hard, the movable chair would be pushed behind and make a creaking noise, which isn’t all that desirable, especially when you’re playing at night when everybody is asleep. Furthermore, the tall flat chair has an iron bar as the chairback, which obstructs my vision of the screen. And I never dare to make violent movements with the wheel for fear of it toppling over. Even if I don’t do that, the chair along with the wheel will still be pushed forward gradually after a few hours playing. So I believe I will need a racing wheel setup sometime in the future, even if it’s not imminent.

Here’re a few requirements for a setup to qualify for my consideration:
  • the seat must not creak whenever the person sitting on it is applying force to any parts
  • the setup must be movable. That way, my mother won’t complain it being an eyesore
  • the seat must be easy to set up and for the wheel to be mounted
  • the setup must cost less than 190 USD. It’d be even better if it costs less than 130 USD
  • the setup must be durable and comfortable for the person sitting on it
  • the seat should preferably allow a gearstick to be mounted onto it as well, although that’s not a mandatory requirement
The list is not exhaustive, and more requirements may be added, but that’s all I can think of for now.

Wheel stands are out of the question, because that means I’ll have to use my movable chair if I decide to go with one.

Right now I’m considering a Playseat Challenge, and with a few of them listed for 90 USD (excluding shipping) on eBay, it’s quite an alluring deal as well. One problem though, is that if I’m correct, the seat doesn’t support any extensions, so I can’t use my gearstick.

I’m around 5 feet and 7 inches tall, so would I be too small to get seated on the Challenge comfortably?

Also, any other suggestions on what other setups may qualify for me?

I’m using a Logitech G29, and the base of the TV is 55 cm above the ground, if that helps.

Thanks for looking! :)

Last edited:
Playseat challenge tics exactly all your boxes and I highly recommend it. It might creak a little, but will stay very stable. According to the specs, the recommended height ranges from 120cm to 220 cm. There are ready made options for a gearshift mount, but I recommend a DIY route. Because the optional gearshiftbar is fixed in in a rather high position.

There are some prefab Gearshift mounting kits available on ebay and maybe you can find 3d printed option. Other solutions are easyily found on google.

Latest Posts

Back