Help on finding powerbands

I know this sounds really stupid and it has probaly been answered before but I did do a search and came up with nothing. :crazy: I have a pretty good grasp on suspension, LSD, Brake, and all other tunning setting except the transmission. I get the initial theory of how to tune it. My real question is how exactly do you find the powerband of a car both NA and turbo. I know this is probably an obvious question but please bare with me. Hopfully someone out there has a finite method to dtermine cars powerbands. :indiff:

Goooooogle-it!..

tried a search on Automotive Dictionary and every dictionary came up with exactly the same meaning

Power Band: An rpm range where the majority of the engine's peak power is achieved. Usually starts just below engine's peak torque and ends just above the engine's peak power.

Alot of people don't get that.. usually it's those who change gears too much, going to a lower gear than they have to because they think it's best to stay as close to the redline/cutout as much as possible. Changing gears too much wastes time, especially in a world where thousandths (0.001) of a second count!! :boggled:

If the rpm going into a corner is about 500 or more rpm less than your peak torque, you should stick to that gear.. confused? :P

ie.. peak torque is 5000rpm.. dropped down to 3rd@4000rpm.. stay in that gear rather than dropping to 2nd at 6000rpm and then having to change to 3rd straight after.. because you're still within the powerband :D

Correct.. it would be so much easier to understand if the game still had the dyno sheet showing the power/torque figures like it has in GT2 (or was it GT1?)

Thank you KaiZen for giving me the answer to my question. I can only give you one gift and that is it was GT2 that gave you a nifty dyno sheat. One more thing what ever happened to turbo boast pressure adjustment like in GT1 I would still like to tune it in GT3.

I've heard of this turbo boost adjustment in GT1, but don't remember it?..

were you able to dial in the amount of boost?.. how did it work?

or did people just get confused becase the higher the stage (stage 1-4) the more boost there is..

In GT1 you are right about there being different boast levels depnending on the turbo you equip. The range of adjustment also increased the higher turbo you equiped. GT1 also gave you a dyno sheet to determine th effects of diferent turbo boast levels. sorry I was almost sure it was only in GT2 darn. Any way a higher setting increased peak power and lower setting offered better acceleration and responsivness. I need to do a bit more research but that would require me to get some of the licenses in GT1 because there are no money making free licence races. Why couldn't they put this setting in the GT's that followed maybe your right an it was to confusing to some people so it just got deleted. Hopfully this clears up your question if you want I can do more research into the settings and ther effects.

I was wondering if you KaiZen ever tune your transmission with another method other than the trany trick. If you do is ther some method you use.

I don't use the tranny trick, never have, and I don't see how useful it would be because you should be tuning your gears depending on the corner speeds of the track, but then, of course, you still have to compromise.

I'll try it one day, I guess, just to see if it really is effective, but in the mean time the way I tune my transmission is by making sure I can drift around certain corners without hitting the limiter. :sly:

So, I'd go to Grand Valley and make sure I can drift around the first corner in 2nd or 3rd, depending on the power of the car, at about 120-130 withouth hitting the limiter. Then just fix up the rest of the gears in the same way, making sure I dont hit the limiter midcorner around the rest of the corners on the track..

First, I'd change the Final Gear to around 4.4 or higher for lower toque cars (ie Japanese cars) or around 3.6 to 4 for high torque cars (v8 muscle), remembering that changing the final drive also effects the top speed of each gear.

You need good throttle control whilst drifting so find your balance, but of course the same technique can be applied for grip driving. If the car spins out too easily or breaks so much traction that you need to slow down too much to regain grip after drifting a little, tune it down (lower number). If you're bogging down or find you can't break traction as easily as you'd like, tune it up (higher number).

I think some people neglect how effective the final drive can really be for car control. Just my opinion, anyways..:crazy:

Generally, max speed in each gear would be (km/h):

1st : 60-80
2nd: 110-135
3rd: 140-165
4th: 160-190
5th: 210-240
6th: 280-max speed just before it hits the limiter on the GV straight

3rd to 6th are off the top of my head but they sound about right..

Good luck dude.. 👍

Back