Help on the Benz Motor Patent car: Thanks to those who helped! Docs shown inside

  • Thread starter Thread starter SVX
  • 16 comments
  • 2,738 views

SVX

The White Comet
Premium
Messages
14,427
New Zealand
Kanagawa, JP
Hi everybody,

For school, we have to create a project on a invention that has changed your life and/or the life of people around you. Of course, I had to choose the car.
I need a bit of help though. I have seen two different years of when the Benz Motor Patent car was made. For instance, in GT4 it says the car was made in 1886, though at other places on the internet it says that is was made in 1885.

You'll also get credit in the presentation.

Thanks in advance,


SVX.
 
Mercedes themselves say 1886, as it's their 125th anniversary this year.
 
From what I recall, the patent was released on January 28th, 1886. That means the 1885 date was during its testing and manufacturing phase. Using modern model-year techniques, that makes it an '86 model, not an '85. :boggled:
 
From what I recall, the patent was released on January 28th, 1886. That means the 1885 date was during its testing and manufacturing phase. Using modern model-year techniques, that makes it an '86 model, not an '85. :boggled:

This is quite correct, the actual complete fully working prototype Motorwagen was completed in 1885. He actually brought it to the public in July of 1886.

It was January 29th Benz filed for the patent BTW.

1886-carl-benz-patent.jpg
 
Thanks everyone!
 
JCE
You're welcome. Don't forget to post pics when finished! :D

Yes, we would all love to see a fellow GTPlanet-er's community helped project!
 
For sure. I need help again. Could someone please help me with how the engine works? I keep on finding on how the engine idles, but not the full diagram. Thanks for the help.
 
Off the top of my head, the basic principle is still that of a regular internal combustion engine. You have a cylinder (just one of them) mounted on its side, a single piston attached via conrod to the crankshaft, which is also mounted to a massive flywheel that helps the engine spin at a constant speed. It also means there's no "crankcase" as such because it's out in the open, and it's lubricated with a constant-loss system. I'm not sure how the head works - I assume it's sleeve valve operated by pushrods (as you can see in the image below).

800px-Benz_Patent_Motorwagen_Engine.jpg


The engine runs at a constant speed and drive is engaged via a leather clutch belt. No throttle, you just push a lever that gradually engages drive and lets you potter along.

Vid of one starting and running:



And a drive:

 
Thanks a lot mate!
 
Sorry for the double post.

Here is my homework that a few GTPlaneters had contributed. Yes, I did show these EXACT documents to my class.

Enjoy!







Click for big.


As I said in the presentation, thanks a lot to JCE, Pupik and homeforsummer!
 
Awesome, looks good! Let us know what grade you got! :D
 
JCE
Awesome, looks good! Let us know what grade you got! :D

Thanks mate! We don't have grades in my school, but I think it gets noted in our report cards.
 
SVX
Thanks mate! We don't have grades in my school, but I think it gets noted in our report cards.

Wow, that is a sweet deal! :D
 
Thanks for the props...that's probably the only time I've ever been claimed in the Acknowledgements section of a report before!
 
JCE
Wow, that is a sweet deal! :D

Yeap. :D

Thanks for the props...that's probably the only time I've ever been claimed in the Acknowledgments section of a report before!

That surprises me, you give out lots of info to people and this is your first time noted? Wow.
 
Back