HELP: Tracks not Rendering

Chrunch Houston

Probably should be called Chrunch Louisville
Premium
United States
Kentucky
Chrunch_Houston
I have been having trouble lately with GT6. I have encountered frequent freezes and odd behavior.

Last night on the advice of some guy on YouTube, I restored the file system, option 3 from the safe mode menu.

Tonight I encountered a new problem:

Has anyone seen this? What is the fix?

My first thought was that the HDD is failing and slow, but it seems that when I stop on the track even a slow HDD would catch up and the GPU would render the scene.

I have a PS3 Slim purchased in November 2009.

I have been having trouble lately with GT6. I have encountered frequent freezes and odd behavior.

Last night on the advice of some guy on YouTube, I restored the file system, option 3 from the safe mode menu.

Tonight I encountered a new problem:

Has anyone seen this? What is the fix?

My first thought was that the HDD is failing and slow, but it seems that when I stop on the track even a slow HDD would catch up and the GPU would render the scene.

I have a PS3 Slim purchased in November 2009.

Have you tried other games? If you have the disc version of GT6 it might well be the disc but if it persists in other games you should try re-entering safe mode and selecting "rebuild database". Beware, it will delete messages and I'm pretty sure music track information (artist, album etc) so you should back them up on USB drive.

Try that and post your results!

I've had that a couple of times but I'm not 100% sure how I fixed it. Those slim PS3's are a bugger for hoarding dust in the vents and just under the top cover (got the same console bought at the same time) so try that first. What you're seeing might be a sign of thermal throttling. If that fails and as a last resort, do the game updates again.

Have you tried other games? If you have the disc version of GT6 it might well be the disc but if it persists in other games you should try re-entering safe mode and selecting "rebuild database". Beware, it will delete messages and I'm pretty sure music track information (artist, album etc) so you should back them up on USB drive.

Try that and post your results!
I tried GT5 and did watched a 20 B-spec race, there were no problems
I've had that a couple of times but I'm not 100% sure how I fixed it. Those slim PS3's are a bugger for hoarding dust in the vents and just under the top cover (got the same console bought at the same time) so try that first. What you're seeing might be a sign of thermal throttling. If that fails and as a last resort, do the game updates again.
You may be on to something. The fan is very loud when ever I play.

I took a brush to the vents on the front and back, but there was no lint or debris. But I noticed the bottom seemed pretty hot. I got an empty wine bag from a three liter box of wine and filled it with cool water. I set the PS3 on top of it.

So the next night, while the PS3 was sitting on it's little water bed, I ran my room and fan never went above medium speed. I had no visual problems like in the video above. Tomorrow I am going to stop on my way home from work and get a can of compressed air and crack the PS3 open and blow it out. I have had 2 cats for most of the life of the thing, so I am pretty sure that the heat exchanger is probably pretty hairy.

But, the night before last I had a weird new problem. The PS3 was not over heating the fan was on low or medium all night.

At the end of a race, there was no results screen and the cars seemed to autodrive around for longer than normal. Then the other cars dissapeared, and I was left autodriving around the track all by myself. I had to quit the game and it reset the console with a triple beep. I was hosting and the whole room got kicked.

Last night the first two races, the same thing happened. I restarted the room and left, to let a friend host. This time the same thing happened but it did not destroy the room just me.

Today I deleted the 20 GB game data, and went through the 21 updates. It took about 2 hours and 45 minutes. I get about 85 Mbps download speed.

I will update after I run my room tonight.

What you've seen is exactly the same as how my console acts when it's ready for a clean. Especially the lock ups at the end of races and 3 beeps on disconnection. No real need for an air duster either as the console is very basic when you open it up. I just use a small paint brush to loosen the dust and a straw to blow it away and it's good for a few months.

After I deleted the game data I tried updating GT6 from scratch, It failed multiple times. The download always worked but when I started the game, the installation always failed. I even wiped the PS3 of all data with option 4 from the Safe Menu. My Ps3 was broken.

I ended up buying a used fatty PS3 from a local Game Stop for $89. Now I am back up and running.

If you are going through the update process within GT6, after the download, pay no attention to the 'time remaining'. mine started out at 'about 1340 mins' that dropped quickly and said '8 minutes remaining' for about 45 minutes, and '5 minutes remaining' for about an hour. The HDD light kept flickering, so I waited. It took about four hours. Pay no attention to what it says, just keep your eye on that flashing HDD light.

Back