(Help!) What camera to buy!?

• Thread starter Tvensky
  • 7 comments
Latvia
Riga, Latvia
Tvensky
Hi, Im new to this section of GTPlanet..

I really need some help from you guys, I know that some of you here are very smart people and know a lot of useful stuff! đź‘Ť

I dont know much about modern digital cameras since I never had one!
I want to buy a new digital camera my funds are from 300 - 450 euro, it should have lens with zoom, or at least have option to add/buy it later, I want it to be similar to GT5 photomode camera, to shoot sharp and blurry pictures, I dont want it to be super pro, what I want is it to be easy to use (its for my girlfriend mainly, and for me! :))

Can someone help me to choose or at least tell me what are the main things that I need to know when I buy digital camera!

Maybe someone knows exactly which cameras are good for good price!

Any help much appreciated! Many thanks! đź‘Ť

I asked this question not so long ago and got the following suggestions:
Nikon D3100
Canon 550D/600D
Both of which fall into or just over your price range and will allow you to do the similar things to the GT5 camera with the extra lenses available for purchase. The lens they come with is a good starting point though.

I however ended up with a Lumix G2, which while now being outdated by the G3 is a good camera that will fall within your price range. Its not be quite the same level as the Nikon or Canon but with the right lenses its makes a great bit of kit. However lenses are more expensive for it as its a newer style of mount compared to the Nikon and Canon so its not as easy to expand the versatility of the camera.

I would recommend the Canon EOS Rebel T3 (EOS 1100D). It has everything you were looking for and its in your price range.

But the Canon EOS Rebel T2i (EOS 550D) is probably the better choice. It's a bit more expensive than the T3 but it also has better picture quality and awesome video. Hundreds of people will be able to help you online because it's a very popular camera. I have one and it's pretty easy to use, and it's professional but not "super pro".

There are also some point-and-shoot cameras that are similar quality but won't have the same options as the GT5 cameras.

With both the T3 and the T2i, the lens selection is pretty good.

thanks a lot! I will look into them, and find what suites us the best..

if you have any other suggestions, please tell me!

My Canon T1i has served me well for the last few years. I'd highly recommend that or the T2i. Anything newer than that will likely go over your 450 euro price point.

As previously stated, the kit lens does a fine job and if you find you need either more "reach" or want to go down the prime lens route, add an external flash or at the very least pick up a tripod, that's all easily doable (for a price, of course).

thanks a lot! I will look into them, and find what suites us the best..

if you have any other suggestions, please tell me!

I'll echo the suggestions of the 600D or similar range of Canon cameras. There are some good, cheap, primes available for the EF/EF-S system it uses as well.

As for blurry and sharp photos, I strongly suggest you read over some guides on exposure and depth of field when using a dSLR. This way you understand how to best achieve these results with the camera; these types of cameras, dSLR's, yield the best results when you've learned some of the more advanced functions.

Cheapest very decent to very good camera body, plus dirt cheap (really good) lenses is Sony + Minolta lenses. Alpha 350 is a very decent body for $350 on eBay if you are comfortable going used (crop sensor), and you can get a Minolta 35-70 F4 lens for around $40-60, which is a very decent and quite sharp performer with fantastic color. Minolta 70-210 F4 is another super lens for around $150 if you want to upgrade for more telephoto capabilities, and very sharp. Lower range Sonys won't compete as low light pros (high ISO) for the most part, and certainly not for fast action sports, but otherwise they are equally as capable as Nikon and Canon for a fraction of the price.

Thanks! we buyed Nikon D5100 this far I love it, just have to learn how to do all that stuff manually!

Back