• Thread starter Michelin
  • 9 comments

Michelin

What ties you to this world?
Premium
Brazil
São Paulo
GTP_Michelin
So, the last few days I've been having issues turning on my PC. It simply gets in a boot trying to turn on then turning off.
Yesterday, I opened it up (it's a DELL Desktop Optiplex 390), switched up the RAMs (2x 2GB DDR3) and removed my video card (NVIDIA GeForce GT710) to remove the battery.
Did that, closed it and turned it on, and everything was working fine. I was able to work, play ETS2, ATS, Dolphin Emulator, etc.

Today, had to the same steps, but instead it asked to run the DELL Diagnostics tool. By doing that, I got the following:

Error Code: 2000-0151
Validation: 115053
Msg: Hard Drive 1 - S/N WD-WX51A61S5682, incorrect status = 3E
SMART Predictive Failure

From what I researched, it seems like I would have to get a new HDD because mine is about to bite the dust.

My main issue with that is that I got this PC back in 2018, with a 250GB HDD that died. I then got a 128GB SSD with an 500GB HDD, and the HDD is once again giving me issues.
Back in 2019, I had the same issue of trying to turn on and then the PC turning off by itself (it keeps doing that on a loop until I remove the power cable), that then resulted on the old HDD dying and me getting the current setup I have.

Does anyone know anyway I can fix that error other than having to get a new HDD?

Sorry to burst the bubble, but that hard drive will need replacing. I dont assume to know what load you put on your drives nor the environment they are kept in, but do know that no HDD or SSD is meant to last forever. Of all the components on a PC, those fail the most.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but that hard drive will need replacing. I dont assume to know what load you put on your drives nor the environment they are kept in, but do know that no HDD or SSD is meant to last forever. Of all the components on a PC, those fail the most.

I 2nd this. If you can still get it to boot, backup any data on ASAP! GL!

Jerome

I got the PC to boot yesterday and haven't turned it off yet since, so guess I'll back up everything. I haven't used even 10% of the 500GB, so I'm really thinking in just swiping both for an 500GB SSD. And probably just double the RAM while I'm doing that.

I would suggest not using it for now.
Use another computer to download a linux and make an image of the recovery partition.
Then install it on an SSD.

Or make recovery discs if you can.

Now the problem got worse, since it simply doesn't want to turn it on. I think that, apart from the HDD, either the processor or the power supply has issues. Hopefully I can find somewhere open to fix it while we are quarantined.

Now the problem got worse, since it simply doesn't want to turn it on. I think that, apart from the HDD, either the processor or the power supply has issues. Hopefully I can find somewhere open to fix it while we are quarantined.
Good luck with that.
Governments are making "Non Essential" businesses shut down.

So when you turn it on, there is no beep, no lights, fan spin?

Good luck with that.
Governments are making "Non Essential" businesses shut down.

So when you turn it on, there is no beep, no lights, fan spin?

Two videos I made so you can see what's happening at this moment:

Well, the issue kept getting fixed and coming back, until the motherboard gave away. Had to get a new PC, which I spent roughly $500 in it.

Back