Help with G27 wiring

• Thread starter GTP_rpm
  • 8 comments

GTP_rpm

Premium
GTP_rpm
Hello, as part of my college project I am improving the colleges simulator. It has run for several years without manual/paddle shifting and has been set to auto. It appears to be a G27 wheel and pedal system retro-fitted into a 1997 Formula 3 car. Pic below;

10256473_10152061096893053_5473447319101572177_n.jpg

I have rectified the steering wheel micro-switches and confirmed continuity but it is missing the wiring coming through the middle of the steering wheel boss/hub. See pictures below;

10256473_10152061096943053_4656394964740041852_n.jpg

10341460_10152061097313053_7182059579766576184_n.jpg

10258115_10152061097508053_7399257535166250714_n.jpg

My question's are;

1) Can someone confirm the original steering wheel wiring (to the paddles and buttons) come up the inside of the steering wheel boss?

2) Is the connector that is vacant (in the pic below) on the left the connector I require for the paddles/steering wheel buttons?

10246422_10152061097728053_3234746249068923978_n.jpg

3) Is there any continuity between this wiring on the G27 and that of the G25?

Thank you very much in advance.

Ian

I've just seen that you're in Hemel! I'm in Hemel! I'm an electronic engineering HNC student, I'll come help you? I'll accept payment in hours of simulator time.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how long the cable is going to be but you might run into noise and/or attenuation issues. As for the pinout of the wheel connector, I can take my G27's wheel off and have a look but I'm not too keen to open the casing unless you really can't find the info anywhere. It's safe to assume the unoccupied header on the main board is for the wheel, but of course you'll need to know the colours... I somehow doubt there's any commonality between the G25 and 27, though, because of the number of buttons and the G27's LEDs.

This is for a PC though, right? You could program a separate HID device, I'm sure whatever software you're running will be ok with that.

I've just seen that you're in Hemel! I'm in Hemel! I'm an electronic engineering HNC student, I'll come help you? I'll accept payment in hours of simulator time.

Seriously though, I'm not sure how long the cable is going to be but you might run into noise and/or attenuation issues. As for the pinout of the wheel connector, I can take my G27's wheel off and have a look but I'm not too keen to open the casing unless you really can't find the info anywhere. It's safe to assume the unoccupied header on the main board is for the wheel, but of course you'll need to know the colours... I somehow doubt there's any commonality between the G25 and 27, though, because of the number of buttons and the G27's LEDs.

This is for a PC though, right? You could program a separate HID device, I'm sure whatever software you're running will be ok with that.
Hello,

I'm not in Hemel anymore, still local but it needs to be my own work really. I am bidding on a broken G27 at the moment, so we shall see what happens from there.

I plan to make my own wiring up (a hybrid of the original connectors so it all works up there) with an AS connection and curly cable attached to the wheel, as done in the trade.

I'll keep this topic updated as I intend to get a driver in and do back to back tests on rFactor with MoTec plug-in and compare data to justify the work of making the paddles operative.

Good Luck! Sounds like you found yourself a pretty sweet project. Maybe for your next project you can convince them how improving the display setup will also benefit in lap times. Or maybe some sort of pedal build for improved lap times. :cheers:

Edit: Or if you need to keep it all about electronics maybe a dashboard with working gauges, rev lights and switches.

Hello,

I'm not in Hemel anymore, still local but it needs to be my own work really. I am bidding on a broken G27 at the moment, so we shall see what happens from there.

I plan to make my own wiring up (a hybrid of the original connectors so it all works up there) with an AS connection and curly cable attached to the wheel, as done in the trade.

I'll keep this topic updated as I intend to get a driver in and do back to back tests on rFactor with MoTec plug-in and compare data to justify the work of making the paddles operative.

Hang on, I'm confused:

- "I plan to make my own wiring up" - Are we talking literally just the wiring from the G27's base to the wheel, or do you need the circuit from inside the G27's wheel itself (i.e. the shift registers for the buttons and the LEDs)?
- "a hybrid of the original connectors so it all works up there" - What's 'up there', the wheel end or the base end?
- What's an AS connection, these?

1385377023811.jpg

If it would help you out I could get photos of the PCB found in the G27's wheel, on the front there are two ICs (a 74HC165D PISO register and 74HC595 SIPO register, if I remember correctly), two transistors (SMD code 1AM, so they're MMBT3904 PNP), the LEDs, paddle microswitches, two 4-way headers (for the left and right banks of buttons on the wheel front) and a ton of resistors; pull ups, LED current limiters, at least one bridge 0R and maybe some others. I doubt it'd be a difficult circuit to rebuild if that's what you need to do to get the shifter working, you could also have a shift light in the cockpit without much trouble.

Yes, the plan is to source the original cable for the paddles, but obviously it won't be long enough. So, I intend to plug it in at the base, route the new cable up the inside of the chassis and then use an AS connector (as you've pictured) mounted on the dash somewhere. Then, I will do the same for the steering wheel end.

Back