Help with NASCAR Series

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dan Hill
  • 12 comments
  • 1,769 views
Messages
686
United Kingdom
Haywards Heath
Messages
Iamthestig209
I'm not into Nascar so I don't know whats the best car. They all cost the same and have the same stats so I bought a Toyota. But Which is this the best?

Also I have attempted to do this with the Toyota and at Indianapolis it struggles to keep a lead and is awful at Daytona. How do I win these events


Thank You.
 
That's the trick about NASCAR. All the cars are supposed to be the same.

The only difference between each car is the Livery. The thing to remember about these cars is that, race cars they may be, they're also bricks. They way a ton (metaphorically and literally) and don't always handle well. Racing: Soft tires will give you an immense advantage. The other trick about NASCAR is that they're very Draft friendly. You're having trouble at Daytona because you're trying too hard to go off on your own, more than likely. Stick with the pack and just hang around. Try to take off going in to 3 or so on the last lap for a good bet. Heck, you might also consider just picking one A.I. and riding their bumper for a while. Keep pushing them, and the two of you should be able to break out to a pretty decent lead.

Indy uses most of the same strategies, but should be a little easier to break away from if you make sure to not let the A.I.s hang out in your draft in the process. When you get to the front and back straights, move to the inside of the track. When you approach a corner, move back to the high side to angle the car in well. If an A.I. gets ready to pass you, don't be afraid to cut it off - just make sure you can actually get in front of the car, as you can get spun easily if you clip it with your rear bumper.
 
Seeing as the cars are equal slipstreaming and effective corner taking will be your main advantage. See more about slipstream and the best techniques here.
(Disregard the Skyline stuff, just learn the technique.)

EDIT:Tree'd.
 
Yes, what darkblade986 said. Also, don't pick Jeff Gordon's #24. It's still not cool to like him.

Hug the inside line. Always. You may have to dip your left wheels onto the apron to clear enough room to pass. Throttle off if you need to, but don't brake unless you absolutely have to.

If you have a DFGT, turn off the ASM with your dial thingamabob. If you have any other wheel, do this (from 0010111 at GameSpot forums):

I haven't seen this talked about yet on this board, and I bet there are a lot of people unaware of this function if you haven't read the manual in depth or explored the controller configuration menu.

The RA Menu allows you to tune some aspects of your car while you're actually on the track. You can adjust Traction Control, Stability Management, Anti-lock braking, 4WD distribution, and Brake Bias; and best of all you can change your adjustments throughout the race. Unlike the quick-tune menu that has to be unlocked, the RA Menu can be accessed at any time.

First, you've got to set your controller up for RA Access. I reccommend assigning the R3 button to "(RA function) Show Menu" and then assigining up and down on the control pad to "(RA function) Select+/-." Then all that's left is to assign left and right on the control pad to "(RA function) Adjust -/+"
(TIP: When all buttons are assigned, the symbols should read +, -, -, + from top to bottom or you'll have the adjustments backwards)

Now it's as simple as pressing R3 during a race to bring up your new RA Menu, and then using the control pad to quickly and easily make adjustments during a race. Enjoy.
 
Thanks for the replys and i'll have a go at your advice.It'll probably take me a while to get used to it.
 
Yes, what darkblade986 said. Also, don't pick Jeff Gordon's #24. It's still not cool to like him.

*Gentleman's Glove Slap*

I'd be driving his car if the challenge didn't give me Stewart's instead. Besides, isn't it Jimmie that everyone should be hating on now?
 
Yes, what darkblade986 said. Also, don't pick Jeff Gordon's #24. It's still not cool to like him.
Says you, I've been a Gordon fan since he entered the sport.
 
INDY Set the AERO to Full on Front and Back , Soft Tyres (RACE) -5 Ride Height Gear for 249 .

AI Wil Slow for ALL Corners Keep to the Inside and use the White Line on the Corners

To gain a Good Lead just ease off the Throttle 178/185 in the corners is Usually enough to give you a Healthy Lead by Lap 3 .

Daytona Try Darkblades Idea's , I keep getting Slammed and Turned around usually on Lap 8 or 9 so i may resort to Praying to God :lol:
 
*Gentleman's Glove Slap*

I'd be driving his car if the challenge didn't give me Stewart's instead. Besides, isn't it Jimmie that everyone should be hating on now?

Pretty much, but I'm an Earnhardt fan, so what do I know. I pretty much hate everyone... and after this last season, maybe even Earnhardt.

:lol:

Says you, I've been a Gordon fan since he entered the sport.

It's said in jest -- I do admire his accomplishments behind the wheel and respect him as a driver. His participation in GT5 is great if it helps open up more people to the NASCAR experience.
 
I had trouble getting gold in the expert Nascar events @ level 21, I would constantly get bronze while driving perfectly. As soon as I turned ABS from 1 to 0 (and as a result making ASM turn off) I got gold in every event with ease. I found that with ASM on with the G27 you can only do 318-320 KmPH around corners on Daytona, but with it off I could easily cruise at 340-350 KmPH. First place before the end of lap one instead of 6th place at the end of lap 2!

If you have a wheel turn ABS to 0 and you will win!
 
In the Nascar series you can use Soft race tires due to the no tire wear oddity which will give you a big advantage on every track other than Daytona. You can also crank up the DF quite a bit. I had no problem at all getting gold on the first 3 or was it 4 races. Daytona was another story however. I dropped down to the bottom of the track in the corner to go for the pass and the AI closed the door on me. Cars were passing by like a train and I fell from 2nd to 10th very quickly and then when I tried to move up into the draft the AI clipped me from behind and sent me spinning out into the infield. By the time I got back on the track they were to far ahead to catch any of the stream and so I ran round a round for the rest of the race in last place :( Oh well I got the Gold overall anyway.

I will go back and try it again at some point but need to hone my Nascar drafting skills a bit first. They stood no chance at all on Laguna Seca though :)

btw I used the Toyota, not that it makes a difference but that one was free with my pre-order so no point buying another one yet.

Interesting about that ABS setting. I have been running 1 all along but I was planning to start experimenting with it a bit. I'll give that a try and see how it does.
 
Pretty much, but I'm an Earnhardt fan, so what do I know. I pretty much hate everyone... and after this last season, maybe even Earnhardt.
You're telling me. When Gordon retires I might just stop watching because its become pathetic.
 
Update. I bought Soft Tyres and the only other component in chassis/body.

I Golded (on hard tyres) at High Speed Ring)
I Silvered Laguna Seca (also on hard tyres)
I Golded Indianapolis (on soft tyres)
I haven't done Grand Valley yet
Daytona I still can't do because I keep getting spun out.
 
Back