Help With Online Race Replays! + Ghosting is always on(?)

• Thread starter Foxbenali
  • 5 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
I'm not really a massive gamer but I got into this game recently whilst setting up online play for my nephew and his cousins...

REPLAYS:

Not familiar with using these types of sites but could someone please let me know how I can get the online replays to show the cars driving smoothly. It seems only the host's car drives smoothly while the others are twitchy and oddly erratic? Is there any way to have realistic smooth replays for online friends racing?

GHOST ON
Also, I've tried to turn off the ghosting completely but it never seems to go off. What am I missing?

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
REPLAYS:
Not familiar with using these types of sites but could someone please let me know how I can get the online replays to show the cars driving smoothly. It seems only the host's car drives smoothly while the others are twitchy and oddly erratic? Is there any way to have realistic smooth replays for online friends racing?
This is what's known as "lag". Essentially, because it takes time for two-way communication between devices (roughly 1 millisecond for every 600 miles of separation, increased slightly depending on how many exchanges it passes through, plus a handful of milliseconds depending on how well or badly each end-device is configured), during which time cars can move several hundred feet, each console only knows exactly where the guy playing it is positioned. For all the other cars it's receiving data and then guessing where the car is going to be based on inputs, position, speed of travel, and where it should be going, until the next time it receives data and can update it.

That means you'll only see the local car moving "smoothly", while all the others will have varying degrees of twitchiness - the further away they are geographically, and the poorer their domestic internet configuration, the twitchier they will be.

It's not something you can work around because you can't break the laws of physics. You can ameliorate it with an optimised internet configuration, which you'll find in the pinned threads in this forum, but it really needs all of your "online friends" to do the same (which isn't always possible) and even then there'll be some lag unless you're all in the same building.

GHOST ON
Also, I've tried to turn off the ghosting completely but it never seems to go off. What am I missing?
There are situations in which a car will ghost even with ghosting off, although I can't entirely recall what they are in GT Sport. Crashing incredibly violently would probably be among them.

This is what's known as "lag". Essentially, because it takes time for two-way communication between devices (roughly 1 millisecond for every 600 miles of separation, increased slightly depending on how many exchanges it passes through, plus a handful of milliseconds depending on how well or badly each end-device is configured), during which time cars can move several hundred feet, each console only knows exactly where the guy playing it is positioned. For all the other cars it's receiving data and then guessing where the car is going to be based on inputs, position, speed of travel, and where it should be going, until the next time it receives data and can update it.

That means you'll only see the local car moving "smoothly", while all the others will have varying degrees of twitchiness - the further away they are geographically, and the poorer their domestic internet configuration, the twitchier they will be.

It's not something you can work around because you can't break the laws of physics. You can ameliorate it with an optimised internet configuration, which you'll find in the pinned threads in this forum, but it really needs all of your "online friends" to do the same (which isn't always possible) and even then there'll be some lag unless you're all in the same building.

There are situations in which a car will ghost even with ghosting off, although I can't entirely recall what they are in GT Sport. Crashing incredibly violently would probably be among them.

Hey, thanks for replying.
That's disappointing, since I remember seeing replays of others with lots of cars on the track and the jittery driving didn't catch my attention.

I've seen a few posts relating to the ghosting and have followed the instructions but it hasn't worked. I guess there's no way at all to completely avoid?

(I don't get why they'd give the option to turn off ghosting if that's the case.)

Ps -

Is there any way at all to have the game setup on LAN. I realise gt7 has been out for a while and they shut may shut down the servers for GT Sport... Was wondering if we'd still be able to race against eachother...

Spent a lot of time unlocking all the tracks and all the Gr 3 cars and tuning them to make them as equal as possible - across 5 different consoles/ accounts.

Don't want to go through that again(!)

Last edited:
That's disappointing, since I remember seeing replays of others with lots of cars on the track and the jittery driving didn't catch my attention.
Again, it's highly dependant on where everyone is and if they've got a sensibly configured home network or are trying to connect over wifi from 70 feet away on the opposite side of a microwave.

In fixed-server events - like the "FIA" races - there's less lag due to this configuration and the geographical restrictions. For open lobbies, in mesh P2P with players able to connect from the other side of the world (and technically the International Space Station also; satellite internet is mince for latency), you're at the mercy of the person furthest away with the worst home network and local infrastructure. A room full of people from just - in your case - the UK or Western Europe should be largely fine if people aren't plugged into a potato.

I've seen a few posts relating to the ghosting and have followed the instructions but it hasn't worked. I guess there's no way at all to completely avoid?
In context, ghosting being on or off affects how cars behave in close quarters; it's essentially a mechanism that stops cars from bashing into each other in the corners and gaining unfair advantage. You can see this in online multiplayer, where lower rated (and therefore ability) drivers are ghosted in corners instead of coming into contact with one another, but this is turned off for higher rated (and therefore ability) drivers who should be able to conduct themselves in a more sporting manner.

Cars will still ghost in some circumstances regardless, but from recollection it requires a lot of energy, or pointing the wrong way, or not moving. Also cars are always ghosted when serving penalties.

Again, it's highly dependant on where everyone is and if they've got a sensibly configured home network or are trying to connect over wifi from 70 feet away on the opposite side of a microwave.

In fixed-server events - like the "FIA" races - there's less lag due to this configuration and the geographical restrictions. For open lobbies, in mesh P2P with players able to connect from the other side of the world (and technically the International Space Station also; satellite internet is mince for latency), you're at the mercy of the person furthest away with the worst home network and local infrastructure. A room full of people from just - in your case - the UK or Western Europe should be largely fine if people aren't plugged into a potato.

In context, ghosting being on or off affects how cars behave in close quarters; it's essentially a mechanism that stops cars from bashing into each other in the corners and gaining unfair advantage. You can see this in online multiplayer, where lower rated (and therefore ability) drivers are ghosted in corners instead of coming into contact with one another, but this is turned off for higher rated (and therefore ability) drivers who should be able to conduct themselves in a more sporting manner.

Cars will still ghost in some circumstances regardless, but from recollection it requires a lot of energy, or pointing the wrong way, or not moving. Also cars are always ghosted when serving penalties.

Thanks for these posts. A lot of detailed info. I get what you're saying... Looks like we might have to get them all over maybe during the school break and have them play together under one roof on one good connection.

LAN is not possible, I'm guessing?

Thanks for these posts. A lot of detailed info. I get what you're saying... Looks like we might have to get them all over maybe during the school break and have them play together under one roof on one good connection.

LAN is not possible, I'm guessing?
Not technically no, but - like GT5/6 - you can make a quasi-LAN.

If all the machines are in the same place, connected to the same router (through a switch, as domestic routers tend to only have four ethernet ports), and you create a friends-only lobby for only those players, it'll act just like a LAN - so long as the outbound/inbound connection to the outside world remains uninterrupted.

Our UKGTP LANs used exactly this setup.

Back