Help with pick up trucks

England
In Front of GT4
Hi Guys,
so i'm new to this forum, and this probably already has its own thread, but i did search it and couldn't find one...
i like to do everything in order, so i'm about to do the beginner Pick up truck races.
i know none of the pick up trucks and i'm looking for a recommendation for a good one, or any races where you could win one that's worth having.
thanks

Hi Guys,
so i'm new to this forum, and this probably already has its own thread, but i did search it and couldn't find one...
i like to do everything in order, so i'm about to do the beginner Pick up truck races.
i know none of the pick up trucks and i'm looking for a recommendation for a good one, or any races where you could win one that's worth having.
thanks

Welcome to GTPlanet!:gtpflag:

For trucks, I recommend either the Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie '04 or the Ford F-150 Lightning '03

If I remember correctly, they can be purchased in the new car dealerships.

Or any races where you could win one that's worth having

The Chevy Silverado SST Concept '02 is the prize car for winning the Sport Truck race Series itself, but this isn't much help unless you already have a truck to begin with!:ill::odd::lol:

Good luck!
GTsail

Last edited:
Welcome to GTPlanet!:gtpflag:

For trucks, I recommend either the Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie '04 or the Ford F-150 Lightning '03

If I remember correctly, they can be purchased in the new car dealerships.

Good luck!
GTsail

Hmmm... the Toyota Tacoma has less weight, but needs more power (maybe Turbo or something...) aaand it is cheaper.
Ah and BTW, welcome :gtpflag:

The Ford and Dodge are powerful enough to win bone stock, but they require an altered approach. These vehicles are very heavy and sit very high off the ground. They will need a more direct (and earlier) braking line, slower entry speeds and more moderate throttle control than most cars of similar peformance level. Body roll is going to become a major issue. One thing these trucks DO have is torque, and they have it in spades. Expect to make most of your time by capitalizing on corner exit speed. If you can hold a more stable approach inside the turn to set up a better exit, you'll probably find yourself passing folks faster than you expected.

I'd never actually attempted this race in the Tacoma, but I plan on giving it a trial run sooner or later. The lighter (lol) curb weight appeals to me.

Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Slow in, fast out.

I would go for the F-150 over the Dodge because of the weight, and the Ford sits much lower. It was also designed as a sport truck vs the Ram.

Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Slow in, fast out.

Thanks for this, i tend to brake late and understeer, so that will need a change of style.

having read the suggestions, i'm thinking about getting the Ford, and stiffening the suspension, simply as i was particularly unnerved when my Golf GTI swung forward under braking, these trucks will be much worse for that i'm guessing.

Thanks very much!!!:)👍

I'd go for the Dodge Ram. You'll get lots of A-Spec points with it. In fact I can't see any reason to get any of the other trucks, unless you have some sort of emotional attachment to it.

I'll be honest...i hate trucks...
its one or the other, so i might try them out on arcade, see which one i prefer and get that one.

I'll be honest...i hate trucks...

Try the Dodge Ram 1500 and you may soon change your opinion.;):lol:

Take the Dodge Ram to any of the Easy Special Condition races on dirt, and you will soon be winning races and will be putting a hurting on the AI rally cars.:)

The races at Swiss Alps and Tahiti are pretty straight-forward, but I used to enjoy driving the Cathedral tracks the most.

Good luck!
GTsail

The trucks do suck out loud, uphill both ways, with the sun in your eyes, for sure. However, you have to remember that whatever intrinsic disadvantages you face, the opposition has to overcome as well. In short: the odds will be even.

Just remember to drive YOUR line, whether the opposition is there or not. If you need some advantage (more power, better grip, etc) consider the Ram, as its low points value will allow you to pack in some goodies without facing as much of a point loss.

Actually, of the trucks I have driven (all but the Tacoma), the Ford is (in my opinion) the best of the trucks, hands down. Best handling, best brake, best top end, etc. It's just that there's this "glitch" with the Ram with regard to A-spec points values. Seems the truck was valued similar to the low-powered Kei cars, but it actually performs MUCH better, giving an A-spec advantage. If you were hunting points, this is the way to go, hands down.

i'll be honest, i'm not really bothered about the points, what are they actually for? just a measure of how good you are i presume. i'll test them both and find out. thanks for the pointers

Try the Dodge Ram 1500 and you may soon change your opinion.;):lol:

Take the Dodge Ram to any of the Easy Special Condition races on dirt, and you will soon be winning races and will be putting a hurting on the AI rally cars.:)

The races at Swiss Alps and Tahiti are pretty straight-forward, but I used to enjoy driving the Cathedral tracks the most.

Good luck!
GTsail

Actually with at most light mods the Dodge Ram can win all the Medium events in the Special Conditions Hall at 200 points per, mod that puppy to the max and win all the Hard events as well, except the Tsukuba Wet race. But that's what black Mazda 787B's are for.

Basically a pretty easy 6000+ points.

hmmm, its a tough decision. i tried the Ford this morning, and despite being impressed by the lack of under and oversteer, it seemed to handle very well, i didnt really like it. i'm about to try the Dodge, and i doubt i'll like that either...
i think its the fact that its a truck thats putting me off if that makes sense, they're not sporty cars.

They are definitely NOT sports cars, you're spot-on with that observation. Nothing you can ever do will ever make them handle like sports cars, either. The best news, though, is that you only HAVE to drive them for 3 short races, so 20 minutes later, you can forget it ever happened.

Because I'm fairly confident that you may at one point in the future consider chasing some (if not all) points, I would recommend the Dodge. You can tackle the aforementioned Special Conditions races, most of Beginner hall, etc. with one vehicle for an easy bunch of points. Plus, it can rather handily win the Sport Truck races, even stock.

Keep in mind that any truck you buy will likely sit unused in your garage after winning the truck race, Dodge Ram aside. Its not like money is hard to come by in GT4, but why throw it away.

On the other hand, it's kinda fun beating up on Cobras and Vettes in the US hall with a pickup truck. And getting 200 A-Spec points for it too. The Dodge Ram does this easily.

I think I remember using a slightly tuned F-150 for the Sport Truck race.

But I warn you, the Silverado SST is a challenge because it has a faster acceleration than the other trucks.

I used the Ford in the end, with weight reduction to try and keep the Silverado concept in sight off the line. Didn't really need it, only place I didnt win with a comfortable gap was Seattle.

I would recomend the Toyota ute with all engen mods and a racing flywheel with a Carbon Drive shaft then B-SPEC Bob will have no problems winning

Back