Help with radiator caps

• Thread starter takatasan
  • 6 comments
Canada
Canada
brant2788
im wanting to buy a skunk2 or mugen radiator cap for my unmodefied civic with d15b7 engine. my question is will an upgraded cap increase cooling at all on my stock engine or are they more for racing applications? thanks in advance for any tips.

A radiator cap does pretty much nothing more than keep coolant in the system. Its basically a heat exchanger and pressure relief valve but won't do anything on a stock motor. Save your money.

A radiator cap does pretty much nothing more than keep coolant in the system. Its basically a heat exchanger and pressure relief valve but won't do anything on a stock motor. Save your money.
This. Don't waste your money; spend it on something that will actually make a difference to the driving experience. Good tyres are always a solid place to start.

im wanting to buy a skunk2 or mugen radiator cap for my unmodefied civic with d15b7 engine. my question is will an upgraded cap increase cooling at all on my stock engine or are they more for racing applications? thanks in advance for any tips.
Acceptable Use Policy
You will post all messages in English.
You will not use “textspeak” (“r”, “u”, “plz”, etc.) in your messages. Decent grammar is expected at all times, including proper usage of capital letters.
And no. It's a radiator cap. It won't do anything that the standard one doesn't - which is to stop the coolant leaving the top of the radiator by closing it.

A radiator cap regulates cooling system pressure, typically at 14-15 lbs...this pressure increases the boiling point of the coolant by about 45 degrees F over a non pressurized system. A aftermarket cap with a stiffer spring will allow a hotter engine operating temperature without the coolant boiling but for a Civic I wouldn't go there...does nothing to increase cooling.

Wasted money that could go to a swap. Even though it is just an extremely small percentage of what a swap will cost it is still a step forward if your looking for performance...

My advice though would be this dealing with an unmodified Civic.

Regardless of the model as long as it is a 2000 or older model. A set of hx wheels with stickier rubber. A bushing set because that stock crap needs replacement. A good set of brake pads along with Brembo Blanks for rotors. A rear subframe brace to strengthen the rear end for the next mod. A set of coilovers or a good spring damper setup. A Koni/GC setup can go a long way.

Lighten the car with easy free mods aka remove unwanted weight where you can.

A good fluid flush from everything goes a long way also. Tranny, Radiator, Clutch fluid, Brake Fluid, Oil goes a long way with a D Series. The big thing though is there has been no HP mods that cost big money for the car yet.

With the fact that you mentioned the overpriced items I sense you are looking for performance. The bottom line is you will feel more performance from lightening your chassis, maintaining good maintenance on the Drivetrain, enhancing the handling. For power adders you have no reason to stick with the D unless you are looking to turbocharge, but that has a whole boatload of supporting mods that needs to be done to the car with the money spent there you could have already built yourself a sound 200hp LSVtec that will perform wonders, but don't skimp out on everything else I mentioned. Screw a radiator cap at this point ;-)

Back