Help with settings please!

• Thread starter kalamies
  • 2 comments
Some say that one should setup his car to suit his driving style but the thing is I don't understand pretty much anything about most of the settings so setting cars with trial and error (which I've been doing since thats been pretty much the only way to do it myself) is more like a lottery than actually learning anything. For example even if I were to see that the car is oversteering too much I wouldn't know what to do. Even if I change something and it becomes worse to drive I wouldn't know if it was because what I change or is it because some other settings don't fit with what I just changed. I have absolutely no idea what does camber and toe angle effect for example.

Any hints or tips or advices or sheer information about individual settings and general setting up of a car would be highly appreciated. I also think that if I were to get a go with good settings added with some knowledge about settings I should be able to get hang of the general setting up of a car so I could make my own settings for the cars that I don't have any settings at all.
In LFS I've learned to drift with various different drift settings but the setting up is a lot harder than in enthusia so I don't really understand the settings. I think I am fairly good in adapting to different settings so please share your settings! Oh and I'm of drifter type so please share your drift setups and any knowledge you have!

In enthusia life I now have cars like AE86 and S13 which I would like to setup for drifting I've managed to make some drift setups for S13 which allows me to make pretty long drifts and connect corners easily although I think they oversteer too much, and I haven't dared to touch the camber angle or toe angle at all because I have absolutely no idea what they do. I feel like I could get more of the car with better settings. Anyway I tried to make samekind of settings for AE86 but they didn't work so well with it the car wasn't so stable as S13 with the same settings so it's hard to drift in really controlled angles that the low-powered AE86 requires I think. Oh and is the enthusia LSD 2-way so does it work in direction of both acceleration and deceleration and is it ok to just put it to 100% for drifting or will it cause too much understeer?

My own S13 drift settings:
LSD 80%
Gear ratio 50%
Camber F 50% R 50%
Toe angle F 50% R 50%
Shock absorber F 50% R 60%
Spring rate F 40% R 45%
Height F 80% R 90%

Here are my settings for my S13 and my 86

S13
With these settings you will still get understeer but its not as bad, S13's just like to understeer because they don't have any weight on the front, so the front tires tend to slip. The best way to fix the understeer is to slightly use the E-Brake when you enter the corner or if you start to understeer use the E-Brake and it will fix the problem.

Ride Hight - F50% R50%
Spring Rate - F50% R50%
Damper - F50% R50%
Toe Angle - F25% R25%
Camber Angle - F20% R25%
Gear Ratio - 50%
LSD - about 30%

AE86

Ride Hight - F30% R30%
Spring Rate - for the front put the arrow under the F of front and put the rear in the same place
Damper - F50% R~40%(or have the top left of the arrow on the left side of the R of rear)
Toe Angle - F50% R50%
Camber Angle - F35% R35%
Gear Ratio - 50%
LSD - 0%

I hope this helps you and good luck!

As for how settings work, have a gander at the GT4 fr drift guide. It has tips on settings and what they do.

In brief, the stiffer everything is, the less body roll, but the easier the wheels lose contact (can't conform to sudden surface changes, like standing on the pedals of a push-bike with your knees and elbows locked, lots of juddering and teeth knocking) set everything to soft, and you get body roll, so enertia drift are more possible, but the tyres will have an easier time sticking to the road, so more traction.

Camber adjusts the angle of the tyre to the roads surface. With 0* set (cheesy diagram looking at the tyres from the front of back of the car |-----| ), you get max traction on straights, as the full tread of the tyre is on the road. As you increase the angle (-ve numbers) the tops of the tires tilt in, and the bottoms out ( /-----\ ) the tyres get more grip in corners as the body rols outwards onto the tread.

Toe adjusts the tyres in the other plane, so that the force of the acceleration is directed slightly inwards or outwards (get ready, it's back, this time, tryes viewed from above the car normal = |--^--| out = \--^--/ in = /--^--\ (chevron pointing to front)) out on the rear will increase oversteer as the power will be being send forwards and outward, in will aid straight line accelleration as the power is directed forward and inwards. You won't have to worry too much about toe, camber and suspention has a larger effect, or so I've noticed.

Thisis a basic idea of what happens, have a read of the guide, it's very helpful (I'm just hoping I've got these all the right way around ¬.¬; ). The setting can come from trial and error and fine tuning to match the car, track and driver, setting that work for one person may be totally wrong for you. Good luck, and happy drifting :)

Latest Posts

Back