Help with setup...

• Thread starter XBimmer
  • 3 comments
Is there a comprehensive document that will help setup/tune cars in EPR?

For instance if I have a high HP FR car and it's got horrid highspeed brake-on oversteer, what should I tune to fix it?

The tune settings are so general and the little slider of oversteer<-->understeer is pretty vague.

When do I want to lower the height and how much?
Do I stiffen springs when?
What's the best relationship to spring stiffness to damper strength for example?

What does each element do to handling?

Etc.

I'd love to see some detailed info on this... They put it in the game (like GT did also) and give you no real info on how they effect the game cars. There's no way these things function just like a car in real life, so real life race tuning books would be worthless.

Why games like this and GT don't have some type of "crew chief" or "mechanic" feature is beyond me. It should monitor your driving style, and make suggestions as to how to set up the car.

Ermmm.......LOL

All a set up is, is personal preference.

Take this for example, this guy was getting 20k points per lap in the D1 multiplayer game in LFS, None of us could figure out how and kept asking for his setup......so finally, he asked us for our setups.....so I gave him mine, (I being only capable of 9k per lap max) and he puts in a 22k pointer on his first lap.

It's not the car, it's the driver that matters most. He did this with 5 other peoples set ups, said he liked a few setups better than others but still pulled 21-24k points with every one of them.

All a set up is for is for making the car fit your individual preference. I can't tell you how to set up your car, nobody on here can. And you may have a different set up for each car even.

It's something that cannot be taught through pen and paper, or in this case keyboard and monitor, lol. You just have to try different things and figure out what you like and dislike. Takes time, but all good things come in due time.

Sorry, that's all your getting out of me. The truth. I can give you my setup but it won't do you any good because it's MY setup and not yours.

PS, and YES, this game is realistic, MORE-SO than GT, and yes the affects of changing different parameters is EXACTLY like real lfie. Ex, softer suspension = more able over bumpy surface, but increased body roll = less stability and less control in general. However harder suspension = twitchy car behavior, which can = harder to control, but also more predictable and stable which can make you more precise, which can make you faster. It's a trade off. Ex. 2, with LSD, open diff will be very unstable and offer almost no forward bite, but will be very agile and manuverable, locked diff will be very stable and tons of forward bite, but will make your car do one of two things, understeer horribly, or oversteer horribly depending on your driving habbits/ablilities, Also car will be less responsive. EVERYTHING is a tradeoff, your always giving up one thing for another when you change a setup, all you can do is make the car reflect your personal driving preferences more. However camber is important here, contact patch is very important to grip, every car likes a different amount, but generally -2.0* front and -1.5* rear is a good starting point.

Really, just read the "vague" footnotes incuded, they are correct and all you really need to know. It's up to you to find your sweet spots in the car setup throught trial and error, just like everyone else.

I wish I could help, but I'm not very good at tuning, largely because I never bother with it. All I ever do in Enthusia's tuning menu is adjust the tuning level of the car, the gearing, and the differentials.

rsmithdrift
YES, this game is realistic, MORE-SO than GT, and yes the affects of changing different parameters is EXACTLY like real lfie. Ex, softer suspension = more able over bumpy surface, but increased body roll = less stability and less control in general.

Although it must be admitted that there are hardly enough bumpy surfaces in the game to take advantage of those softer suspensions. :lol:

Although it must be admitted that there are hardly enough bumpy surfaces in the game to take advantage of those softer suspensions. :lol:

Very true, and from my own point of view (given how well much of EPR is done) I find tuning and the range of option in EPR to be quite honestly appaling.

Its far too simplistic and without a value range almost imposiable to discuss in any way.

Dampers lack even basic bound and rebound adjustment, and the LSD tuning is reduced to a very simplistic level. How are you suposed to work on rally/race car set-ups without these basics?

@XBimmer You may find my GT4 tuning guides of use in this area, while the were written for GT4, the basic approach does still hold true and may well be of use/interest. You can find a link to them in my sig.

The one thing I would add is that EPR (IIRC) does not seem to represent the often unexpected results of using very extreme settings as well as I would have hoped (which GT4 does to a degree) and tuning is an area I would love to see greatly expanded in the next EPR (fingers crossed).

Regards

Scaff

Back