Help with tuning definitions

TurkeyBurgers
Hey GTP guys. I am a nub and I don't really understand the difference between "Active Stability Management" and "Traction Control". Can someone help me? I see traction control goes from off to 1-10, and active stability management is either on/off. Do they both control wheel spin? Does one have to be on for the other to be on? Please help. -TurkeyBurgers

Don't worry about what they mean, turn them both off. ;) Your laptimes will improve if you do. :)

What about active steering? I have to have something on. If I don't use traction control, my wheels spin through the first three gears in the higher end cars! If I don't use Active Steering, the car is really really hard to keep from spinning out with a pad. I don't know what the difference is for Active Stability Management. I just can't drive without a wheel with these things turned off.

TC will only automatically feather the the throttle to avoid wheel spin, while ASM will actually adjust the handling of the car to avoid a skid or a slide (I'm not sure by what means in the game--brakes? suspension? black magic?). They're totally independent of each other, so you can have one off and one on, both off/on, etc. Unfortunately, they're generally only going to prevent you from exploring the limits of adhesion, which is how you go fast. Like NLxAROSA said, if you've got the feel of a car, you'll be faster with them off. Sometimes, if I'm driving a really evil car or one with loads of torque and RWD (like the F2007) that's hard to handle on the gamepad, I'll turn TC to 1, but I always leave ASM off.

Sorry, didn't see your last post before I hit submit for mine. Are you using the right analog stick for gas/brake? That will make it easier to feather the throttle off the line to reduce wheelspin.

I am now alshain. WOW what a difference. Why the fook didn't anyone tell me this SOONER?!?! Seriously big thanks. It is a huge difference. I will do alot of practice runs with all the aids turned off. I feel like I am starting from the beginner races all over again. I will see if I can keep the car under any sort of reasonable control.

So THAT'S how the viper actually corners! WHAT a DIFFERENCE! I was never able to really use first gear before! I can just curl right around the tight hairpins! With a little practice I just might make a somewhat decent driver yet! Man I don't know if I feel like a doofus for not using it sooner, or relieved to finally see that it is possible to turn off driving assistance.

Most tunes over here (not just mine) are tuned with all aids OFF, except ABS, which is set to 1. And PRO physics ofcourse. ;) Using standard physics and/or ASM and/or TC will actually make them handle worse. Also, loose the active steering, you can steer just right on your own, you know. ;) :P

Glad it helped. Isn't this game great? :)

Well, ok there are times I want to hurl it out the window. But I keep coming back for more, lol...

Ok I have everything off except active steering. I will try and baby step it. Today had alot of big changes so I will save that for last. Does active steering reduce speed?

It will probably reduce your cornering speed, yes. It tries to countersteer if you experience oversteer, so it will prevent you from really getting the most grip available to you. How much time it costs you depends on your driving style and how much you're attacking the corners, but the worst part probably is that it just plain gives you a bad idea of how the car handles since you're not in entire control of your car. :(

Back