Hi from a complete newbie

• Thread starter Toireht
  • 21 comments
Sup, just picked up GT4, which is my first GT and my first "Simulation" racing game. How noobie am I? Well, this is my 1st day with the game, and I am not just learning how to play the game, I am also learning alot about cars from your guys site, thanks M-Specs. Coming into the game without knowing what oversteering and understeering meant and how to correct either might make beyond newbie, but have to start somewhere. My goals right now is getting all the Liscense tests done with either silver or gold, no copper. So far going pretty good, 7gold 25silver, but do you guys recommend going through all the tests first or doing one section then racing?

also any other tips for a complete newbie would be helpful :D thanks

Toireht
My goals right now is getting all the Liscense tests done with either silver or gold, no copper. So far going pretty good, 7gold 25silver, but do you guys recommend going through all the tests first or doing one section then racing?
HOLY CRAP!

I consider myself a GT addict, and when I went through the licenses I got mostly bronze, and a few silvers. To have these stats for your first GT game ever is pretty good dude - well done. 👍
I'll go back and get all golds once I'm done, but I just wanted to race...

I usually go through and do all the license tests first, then go race. That way there won't be a race that I can't enter because I haven't got the right license. I think this is the best way, because it will give you the greatest amount of skill for when it actually comes to the racing. :)

Welcome to GTP and enjoy your stay.

Yeah, congratulations on not getting any bronze yet. You're a born GT player. I usually have mostly bronze and silver. I usually get gold for b and a licences.

Some tips would be to take it slow and try to stay away from driving aids. More realistic that way.

did u keep on the same test til u got gold?

first tiem i played the game i got most bronze, this is the 2nd time im playing the game and i havent got a single bronze most silver but still a fair few golds, i got gold on the lap guide of the nurburgring i was well chuffed to not have to do that again, the pace car was so slow i was beside him 90% of the lap

BFI
did u keep on the same test til u got gold?

first tiem i played the game i got most bronze, this is the 2nd time im playing the game and i havent got a single bronze most silver but still a fair few golds, i got gold on the lap guide of the nurburgring i was well chuffed to not have to do that again, the pace car was so slow i was beside him 90% of the lap
Yeah, those are the easiest tests I must say. All you have to do is follow the pace car and usually your car is faster or you can keep up.

I would keep going until you get finish IA, because the later tests actually teach you about drviving a little more. Also, IA hosts my favorite license test, IA 15: 1 Lap Guide run Nurburgring.

I would do the license tests up to International B right now, then go racing with your prize cars. Go back and get the IA and S license later. Sounds like you're doing well for a start.

Welcome to GTPlanet!

Good job on the license tests so far 👍 What I would do is do all the license tests first, that way you get a glimpse of what tracks will be like, or atleast that is what I did. Good luck and Happy Racing :cheers:

Toireht
also any other tips for a complete newbie would be helpful :D thanks
Toireth, welcome to GTP. I must suck at this game then. :indiff:

I too started recently with GT4 and I've nearly completed all the licences (only S-16 to go) and most of mine are bronze. I must say revisiting the tests later on have made me a somewhat better driver as I've managed to silver some of them.
As Duke mentioned go for A and B, race a bit and come back for IA and IB.
Searching this site gives valuable tips although finding the right info can be a bit tedious. (But it is there!)

Good luck, I envy your results :)

AMG_SLK

AMG_SLK
Toireth, welcome to GTP. I must suck at this game then. :indiff:

I too started recently with GT4 and I've nearly completed all the licences (only S-16 to go) and most of mine are bronze. I must say revisiting the tests later on have made me a somewhat better driver as I've managed to silver some of them.
As Duke mentioned go for A and B, race a bit and come back for IA and IB.
Searching this site gives valuable tips although finding the right info can be a bit tedious. (But it is there!)

Good luck, I envy your results :)

AMG_SLK

@AMG SLK: De Benelux versie van GT4 zal moeilijker zijn dan de US versie zeker?
:dunce:

I am on my forth installment of GT and I've never achieved more than 4 golds! :) (Not that I wanted that, thou, just raced to pass, not to ace! :) ) congratulations anyway!

The best tip I can give is come and check the board everytime for news, there are excelent threads around here. And always, always, always use the search before posting a new thread if you don't want to be booooooooooed :D :cheers:

@ MSW, no idea, must be my GT4 skillset :indiff:
Fortunately my other skills (that provide my bread and butter) are much better :)
PS I don't want to offend you in anyway but I do think its wise to use English on this forum 👍

AMG_SLK.

Wow, Toireht. You're pretty good. I haven't gotten a single gold prize from the GT4 license tests yet, and I've been playing GT for three years. (I did get 7 Gold passes and one silver from the B-License in GT3).

Thanks guys :) Didnt get to play yesterday but today I worked on completing A and work on IB. Finished both of them, and ended up with 8gold, 37silver, 3copper :( . I cant drive worth a crap on ice, and still learning how to drive properly in street racing, just cant seem to turn correctly on 90 degree turns. I think I will try and go through IA and then start racing and come back to S liscense later down the road.

I'm actually golding the licenses and clearing the missions and I'm impressed but the a and b licence were not as tough as the international and super licences. but still a great start and for ice licences, tap slightly the throttle until your on a straight

First off, welcome to GTP Toireht and good luck with the licenses. I'd say do two or tree of the licenses nd then race for a while. You won't need the IA and S license for a while anyway. Be warned, there are some stupidly long races in this game, and the rally mde has this viscious 5 second penalty when you crash but you can get tips to help with that if you need any. Theres a lot of good info on this site, check the read this threads at the top of the forums for great tips, links to good threads and car lists ect. Also don't be shy and check out the rest of the forums too, the GT4 section is only one part of GTPlanet. Theres a great debate in the Movies and TV section right now on the 5 best looking actresses ever :lol:.

Wow! Unbelievable progress so far!

I can't actually recommend getting Golds right away. Silver yes, Gold no. But, you seem like you're on your way!

I'm of the same mind as Duke and live4speed... Get A,B and IB. Take a break, do some races and then come back later for IA and S. Learning is an iterative process. Getting some actual races will help you learn the courses just as well as the license well. Both build on each other.

Good luck. :D

jdw
Learning is an iterative process. Getting some actual races will help you learn the courses just as well as the license well. Both build on each other.
Agree with that. It is also worth racing/driving in slower cars to start with. It is much easier to learn the subtleties of a track at 100kmh than it is at 300kmh. Still, with the success you are having so far you should be fine, just don't waste too much time on the tests, they will be much easier to gold later after you have some racing experience.

Well went back and did the 3 test I got copper on and got silver on the first try, guess I just needed to step away and doing something else. Just finished the 1st 4 IA tests with silver, and decided to just do 2-4 tests a day and race the rest. Like jdw said, I think racing now will help me more instead of doing all the tests first.

When I started out I had to use the video demos quite alot, now that I am further along I barely ever use it, if not at all, and usualy get silver on the 4th or 5th try. So I guess these tests do help people just starting out quite alot :D

2 piece of advice...

1. gt isnt about licences.. spend some time racing, youll like it :)
2. be good to your mother :P

Back