Hi, Help me choose the best wheel and cockpit!

• Thread starter kms7852
  • 14 comments
ScarySAT
Hi, I'm really new here and I just got into racing.

Currently I have PS3 and Hometheater system setup with 40" Samsung LED TV. I really want to experience the full racing with a wheel and cockpit as well.

My budget for now for wheel is around 350-400 dollars. But the cheaper the better if it has good quality as well.

I've done some research and my list narrowed down to three.
G25, G27, Fanatec (I'm not sure which one in Fanatec wheels would be good)

From what I heard, G27 does not have sequential mode and the shifters don't work in many games including GT5P or Midnight Club LA etc.

G25 works fine with GTP5 and many other games. However, I heard it has pretty bad feel of gear shifting compare to G27 gear box. Also, it does not have adjustable pedals, LED lights, and only two buttons.

Fanatec Wheels are amazing but they are a bit pricy because most of them do not include gear box.

My friend, who currently has two G25, offered me to sell one of his newer one to me for $200 dollars. He told me the gear box feels better because it's the "newer" G25. Since he bought it at end of 2007, I wasn't sure if the warranty would be void and if it breaks, I won't get it repaired. It works fine for now, (I saw it working) but I wasn't sure about this offer.

On the other hand, G27's are sold 299.99 on Best Buy and I was interested into it. However the compatibility issue with PS3 games that I want to play such as Dirt 2, GT5P, Midnight Club LA, NFS: Shift. I was not sure if this was my best bet.

Fanatec Wheels, I did not hear much issues but because I did not hear a lot about it as much as I did with G series of logitech. So if anyone can fill me in on this, I would really appreciate it.

Please help me choose the best wheel that I could buy right now. I really want to start racing but the problems with G27 draws me back and G25's inferior gear shift feeling, no LED light, only two buttons, also draws me back as well. I wish there's G28 that combined G27 and G25 haha.
If I should wait until GT5 comes out and a new wheel would come out by then, I would rather wait.

I will pretty much play Dirt 2, Midnight Club LA, GT5 and GT5P, NFS:Shift on PS3.

Also, if you can recommend any cockpit that is under 400 dollars that would be great too. (I looked into playseat Evo and it looked fine)

Thank you soooo much. I know there would be tons of Thread out there regarding G27 vs G25 but I wanted to ask one more time at this time of the year because those thread seems to be a little bit old to me.

Ahh, my thread got long. haha

I race dirt 2 and the clutch dont work and led
with need for speed shift the clutch work but not the led
i avent found a game for ps3 were the leds works
not even f1 champ edition nore does the cluch
clutch works with gt5p and shift
as for sequentiel shift the steering padel those a fine job
I hive find that the g27 as a calabration problem that comes from the manufacture but not all of them they forgot to put locktite on a batch
but is easly fix by thenthning a few screws on the ffb motor
so you could buy new and get a small problem or you could buy your budys g25 and hope for the best to!
either way the feeling of those steering is extraordanairy
g27 more fearture and the g25 as proven its reliable.
so it goes on how much you want to pay
and the waranty on logitech wheeels are 1 year.
as for your cockpit abs(black 1 1/2 in plastic black ) tubing is your best bet
you can assemble your cockpit with parts too long race with it without gluing it adjust the length and hight then cut back so it fits like a glove then glue it together
you can eliminat flex by putinig steel crossbrace made with steel shelf railing that they sell to put shelves in closet.
and it all doable with the simpless tool in your living room.
ps never tried the fantec so no opinion on that.
hope this helps

Thank you guys for such a fast reply. I did bought playseat Evo and the gear holder for 330 dollars. USD. I still haven't decided on wheels though. I'm leaning more on new G27. If G27 clutch does not work on Dirt 2. Do you have to use automatic gears?
Also the paddle shifters do work with GT5P and Dirt2 and NFS:Shift?
Thanks again.

Thank you guys for such a fast reply. I did bought playseat Evo and the gear holder for 330 dollars. USD. I still haven't decided on wheels though. I'm leaning more on new G27. If G27 clutch does not work on Dirt 2. Do you have to use automatic gears?
Also the paddle shifters do work with GT5P and Dirt2 and NFS:Shift?
Thanks again.
for dirt 2
you can use auto/seq/h pattern
the clutch is a second brake pedal
I use the left steering shifter padel as handbrake and use the shifter in h pattern
you can shift from 5 to 3 gear in a flash!
yes the paddle work on all those games

For h pattern in Dirt 2, Would I have to use clutch?
And for sequential, I use the paddle shifters for it, right?

I think I am planning to buy G27.
So no LED works so far with any game in PS3?

"So no LED works so far with any game in PS3?"

LEDs work with supercar challenge and F1ce, although they're not much use unless you have your wheel at eye level. Yes you can use the paddles to shift in sequential mode for Dirt 2.

Oh great thanks. I think I'm fsho buying G27 now.
Last question! Have anyone tried GRID on G27? Does manual work and do you have to clutch everytime? Thanks!

Ah, I already bought Playseat Evo, Black one from Amazon.
Well, I have TV on top of my TV stand so VRC would be too low for me.
Thank you though. I'm looking to purchase G27 :)

For h pattern in Dirt 2, Would I have to use clutch?
And for sequential, I use the paddle shifters for it, right?

I think I am planning to buy G27.
So no LED works so far with any game in PS3?

Dirt 2 doesn't make use of the clutch at all. You can choose to either use the paddles or shifter for it, but the clutch is non existent.

I use the paddles, and the clutch as my ebrake, or I use the shifter as my ebrake, and go with auto transmission.

I played grid with the G25 and it was awful. The game seemed to be made strictly with controllers in mind. The cars are very, very twitchy and I gave up on it after the first few hours.

Sounds like NFS Shift, wasnt to bad on the controller but try playing it on the wheel the car was so touchy like a redictulas amount.

Latest Posts

Back