HID Bulb Question.

• Thread starter Picc84
  • 15 comments
AmuseR1
So I got a pile of parts off a friend. And in this pile of parts, which I paid next to nothing for, was a set of HID ballasts. Now the guy I bought these off of has purple bulbs in them. which I really do not want. Can I run a different color (K) bulb with the same ballasts? Or do I need a whole new kit?

Last edited:
You can run any HIB bulb with any ballast, but I'm not sure if all the bulbs will fit in a car's stock location if it doesn't have HIDs stock. It's not recommended to use HID bulbs in stock headlights because the normal reflectors aren't designed for the much brighter bulbs. You end up with hotspots on the ground where it's so bright you can't actually see anything, awful glare, and oncoming cars flashing their brights at you. What you need is a projector retrofit to put those HID bulbs in. That way they'll shine exactly like a stock car's projector HIDs.

What Keef said.

And if you are going to run HID's get 4300K bulbs or whatever since they are white and closer to day light then anything else. Blue and purple might look cool but they are worthless at night.

Yeah, I'm to the point where I'm seriously considering brake checking the next jerk who tailgates me with HID bulbs in improper housings.

Its a shame how expensive retrofit kits are, too. There's a company selling them on the forum for my car, cheapest you're going to get is like $800 for a single Xenon setup with TSX projectors I think - or maybe from an Lexus RX. Eventually I want a quad-xenon setup...that'll be a good $1500.

You can run any HIB bulb with any ballast, but I'm not sure if all the bulbs will fit in a car's stock location if it doesn't have HIDs stock.

I thought you needed a specific ballast for a specific bulb type? In other words, a ballast for a D1S will not work with a D2S bulb. I don't think the connectors are even the same... But I admit I'm not an expert. Feel free to clarify.

M

Its a shame how expensive retrofit kits are, too. There's a company selling them on the forum for my car, cheapest you're going to get is like $800 for a single Xenon setup with TSX projectors I think - or maybe from an Lexus RX. Eventually I want a quad-xenon setup...that'll be a good $1500.

It's the projectors that are expensive because they have to get OEM ones.

What Keef said.

And if you are going to run HID's get 4300K bulbs or whatever since they are white and closer to day light then anything else. Blue and purple might look cool but they are worthless at night.
Straight up blue, sure, but if done properly, a white-blue can do a fantastic job at lighting up the road. But, with that, it seems only the manufacturers can get it right.

well luckily I got halo "Angle Eyes" which are made for HID's, so That should be fine. And thanks guys! I now just have to pick up bulbs at AnA one of these days...

24168620023_large.jpg

Are they self-leveling? If not, that's illegal in some states. And also stupid and annoying for other drivers.

Straight up blue, sure, but if done properly, a white-blue can do a fantastic job at lighting up the road. But, with that, it seems only the manufacturers can get it right.

White-ish blue still isn't as good as straight up white at night. Your eyes have a harder time with the blue spectrum of light and an easier time with the red.

Are they self-leveling? If not, that's illegal in some states. And also stupid and annoying for other drivers.

A lot of OEM systems don't even self level, although they should. I know the Navigators and Escalades back in the day were just HID bulbs in a halogen housing or at least that is how it appeared. All new cars probably have to have self levelling on them now.

White-ish blue still isn't as good as straight up white at night. Your eyes have a harder time with the blue spectrum of light and an easier time with the red.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I see just fine with the TL's headlamps as much as I do with the BMW's white angel eyes.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. I see just fine with the TL's headlamps as much as I do with the BMW's white angel eyes.

Except your TL produces white light not blue light. And it's not a matter of opinion, white light means it's easier for your to see then blue light, it's the way our eyes works.

Back