High End Race Cars (Bad Steering Phyiscs).

  • Thread starter Thread starter squeakD
  • 16 comments
  • 1,154 views
Messages
514
So.., very excited today that I racked up like 10 million credits. I head off the the dealership to buy that Audio R10 TDI Race Car (for a cool 4.75 million). I get that beast on a track for a test drive, and the excitement quickly faded.

Polyphony bombed the "steering physics" for these high end race cars. These cars are nowhere near as responsive as they should be. These high end beasts should be "twitchy as hell". The steering is not twitchy enough making it sluggish and the vehicles not as responsive as they should be around turns.

I do not drive any of my vehicles with the "active steering assist" either. I always have this off. Even with this assist off these race cars are still not responsive enough. The default filter they have applied to these vehicles is too strong for the monster cars.

It's very disappointing too because when running races up in these higher level events.., the same level of physics doesn't appy to the AI. They plow through corners with ease.., and on straights (some cars) get that nitro boost (that doesn't seem to be available in the tuning shop)..:)

I hate to compare the two titles.., but Polyphony could take a lesson from T-10 in the steering physics for these cars. In Forza-3 they are freakin twitchy as all hell (as they should be).
 
You ever driven a "high end" car?
 
How do you know they aren't as responsive as they are supposed to be? Unless you have driven it yourself. Have you ever driven the X2010? Or even the FGT, since these have really good handling and are an unfair comparison from your senses
 
Look folks..., don't get all bent out of shape over this. YES the physics ARE wrong for these cars. In REAL LIFE they are extremely twitching. You get into these high end race cars like this Audi and Formula cars they are very twitchy (as they're supposed to be). Not long ago there was a write up where a few pro F1 drivers who tried both GT-5 and F1-2010.., ALL said the vehicles aren't "twitchy enough".

I'm not saying they're impossible to drive.., but the steering responsiveness for these vehicles is certainly too sluggish.
 
Look folks..., don't get all bent out of shape over this. YES the physics ARE wrong for these cars.

Couldn't have said it any better myself!
Game is done and out, nothing that can be done about it. You just need to wait until the next installment.
👍
 
Just to add.., if you have Forza-3.., go drive the same car in that game, and you'll see how much more accurate it is in that title. I'm not saying T10's got it perfect.., but much closer to real life.
 
Couldn't have said it any better myself!
Game is done and out, nothing that can be done about it. You just need to wait until the next installment.
👍

I'll still drive these cars..., I just didn't expect the steering response to be so sluggish. The vehicle looks amazing.., and sounds fairly good too. I'll just dig into the tuning more and see if I can compensate for it somewhere else.
 
If the R10 is proving somewhat "lagging" in realism try out one of the Group C Prototypes. Whilst competing in the Dream Car Championship on the Circuit de la Sarthe in the wet in the Minolta 88-CV I really had to concentrate to keep that car in a straight line. In fact, even in the dry the car is fairly "twitchy" if you apply too much power out of a corner. I'm not sure if this is anything to do with the R10's negative characteristics because I have yet to buy one myself and test its handling. :boggled:
 
If the R10 is proving somewhat "lagging" in realism try out one of the Group C Prototypes. Whilst competing in the Dream Car Championship on the Circuit de la Sarthe in the wet in the Minolta 88-CV I really had to concentrate to keep that car in a straight line. In fact, even in the dry the car is fairly "twitchy" if you apply too much power out of a corner. I'm not sure if this is anything to do with the R10's negative characteristics because I have yet to buy one myself and test its handling. :boggled:

Will def check that one out! Thanks.., sounds like the handling I'm looking for :)
 
The R10 is definitely much harder to manage, still nowhere near is tricky as Forza's LMPs though.
 
So.., very excited today that I racked up like 10 million credits. I head off the the dealership to buy that Audio R10 TDI Race Car (for a cool 4.75 million). I get that beast on a track for a test drive, and the excitement quickly faded.

Polyphony bombed the "steering physics" for these high end race cars. These cars are nowhere near as responsive as they should be. These high end beasts should be "twitchy as hell". The steering is not twitchy enough making it sluggish and the vehicles not as responsive as they should be around turns.

I do not drive any of my vehicles with the "active steering assist" either. I always have this off. Even with this assist off these race cars are still not responsive enough. The default filter they have applied to these vehicles is too strong for the monster cars.

It's very disappointing too because when running races up in these higher level events.., the same level of physics doesn't appy to the AI. They plow through corners with ease.., and on straights (some cars) get that nitro boost (that doesn't seem to be available in the tuning shop)..:)

I hate to compare the two titles.., but Polyphony could take a lesson from T-10 in the steering physics for these cars. In Forza-3 they are freakin twitchy as all hell (as they should be).

Did you change the suspension and camber settings? I can make any car twitchy.
 
That might be true, but some of it is also just down to the wheel you are using. In a real racing car the wheel in your hands are directly attached to the wheels on the ground. It is not in your living room. It is just a faked system, that could be better, could be worse, but the wheel you are using will also affect this. The dead zone, the accuracy of the wheel etc. where in a racing cars these things aren't there.
 
I have the same experience, I bought a 908 HDI and was pleased with its lap times, although I crashed it on my very first attempts to drive this car fast.

It is a stable car in my opinion, however I bought a McLaren F1 LM spec and BMW V12 LM spec later. Both are very twitchy and skid much more than my 908 HDI.
 
Try the Bentley Speed 8 or the 787B for a twitchy car. It's like driving on ice sometimes!
 
Wheel or controller? With G25 cars like 908 or 787B is plenty twitchy....

Turning ABS off helps too...
 
Every car in GT5 comes with a standard +20 toe in the back. It makes the car more stable while turning (some say for accessibility purposes), but also understeering, and generally reluctant to change direction.

Not saying the R10 wasn't made sluggish, but setting a 0 toe in the back will surely liven things up.
 
How about this...try tuning the suspetion... dont be a noob and leave it as default.... if your not custom tuning each car to your driving style and just leaving them defualt after you max out the performance, your making a mistake!!!!!!
 
Back