High Mileage Tuning: 1981 Toyota Celica XX 2800GT

  • Thread starter Thread starter 95GTIVR6
  • 4 comments
  • 4,705 views

95GTIVR6

Rice, I love it.
Premium
Messages
825
United States
Charlotte, NC
Messages
CosmicMS3
Messages
I2valve
Welcome to the first installment of High Mileage Tuning. This thread is meant to display characteristics of cars in GT4 that cannot be ontained with little or no mileage on the clock. These settings are not as mild as those revealed in my recommendations but not as wild as a race car. Also, another advantage to this set-up is the ability to convert the vehicle back to its original, stock settings. Although this voids any engine balancing, weight reduction, port polish, etc, I believe anyone who trys this set-up will be pleased with the overall results. Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions you may have to contribute to these settings.

Car:1998 Audi S4
Engine: 2.7l V6 DOHC
Aspiration: Turbocharged
Drivetrain: Front Engine, All Wheel Drive
HP/TQ: 264@5,800/294@3,600
Weight: 3322lbs


Modifications:
Engine/Exhaust: Racing Exhaust, Sports ECU
Brakes: Racing, Brake Controller
Drivetrain: Customizable Transmission, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Customizable LSD, Carbon Driveshaft
Suspension: Racing
Turbo: Stage 3, Racing Intercooler
Other: VCD Controller, Body Refresher, GT Wing
Tires: R3-Medium

Track Analysis: Nurburgring Nordschleife
After installing the selected modifications, I then decided to test & tune at one of the most unforgiving tracks in the world, the Nurburgring Nordschleife. This track is full of uneven surfaces and off-camber turns along with hairpins and the imfamous "Karussel". Thus, a tuner must be wary of these infractions when tweaking or modifying their settings.

Information:
Lap Time: 7'17.546 (one lap)
Tuned HP: 443

Settings:
Spring Rate: 9.0 / 6.2
Ride Height: 138 / 134
Shock Bound: 4 / 5
Shock Rebound: 7 / 7
Camber Angle: 2.7 / 2.2
Toe Angle: 0 / -1
Stabilizers: 4 / 5
Brake Balance: 11 / 9
LSD Init. Torque: 20 / 15
LSD Acceleration: 45 / 35
LSD Deceleration: 25 / 15
Downforce: 12 / 8
Transmission Level: 11
Front Wheel Dist. 40

Notes:
The S4 is a fairly heavy car for its overall dimensions but because of the bumpiness of the selected track, overall ride height and spring rates should be affected. I have found that with this setting, overall braking isnt the greatest and if not in a straight line, the rear end tends to fly out. However, because of its weight, a driver can anticipate this reaction and counteract with throttle control and countersteer. Overall acceleration is good due to the sheer mass of the vehicle and additional downforce provided by the GT wing.

I believe this set-up is directed more towards those who prefer drift-type settings but still wish to keep the car under control durring slight cornering and other manuvers. For those who would want a more grip-type set-up, I would suggest an increase in the Rear LSD Accel. and Init. Torque amounts. Also, the transmission is just auto-set at Lvl. 11. I found that the car will top out along the final long straight before you finish, custom settings should fix the problem.
 
Kool, i'll try that on my audi the next time i go on see what its like on midfield. 👍
 
I’ve just tried these settings on Tsukuba and I’m not impressed. I first did a few days without your settings (but the car did have all of the mods) and I was surprised on how well the car handled. I’d been off 4WD cars because of the tons of under steer, but the S4 was amazingly balanced, it didn’t feel heavy and there wasn’t a hint of under steer. It set a time just 2 sec off the pace of the 650HP Supra I spent tuning purposely for that track

But I’m sorry to say, but as soon as I put on your settings, the poised S4 became a big grey lump. These settings give a lot of under steer and generally make the weight of the car felt. I think it was be down to the soft suspension? I’ll give it a try around the Nurburgring soon and report back, but so far, I’m not impressed. Sorry :(
 
DonS1mpson
I’ve just tried these settings on Tsukuba and I’m not impressed. I first did a few days without your settings (but the car did have all of the mods) and I was surprised on how well the car handled. I’d been off 4WD cars because of the tons of under steer, but the S4 was amazingly balanced, it didn’t feel heavy and there wasn’t a hint of under steer. It set a time just 2 sec off the pace of the 650HP Supra I spent tuning purposely for that track

But I’m sorry to say, but as soon as I put on your settings, the poised S4 became a big grey lump. These settings give a lot of under steer and generally make the weight of the car felt. I think it was be down to the soft suspension? I’ll give it a try around the Nurburgring soon and report back, but so far, I’m not impressed. Sorry :(


Hmm, yeah, the S4 I posted was specifically set-up for the Nurburgring. I can imagine that the settings wouldnt fare well on Tsukuba. They are two very different types of tracks. I made these settings while testing at Infineon Raceway, maybe these will turn out better sonce they are used on a smaller, tighter track.

Settings:
Spring Rate: 9.5 / 11
Ride Height: 131 / 126
Shock Bound: 5 / 7
Shock Rebound: 7 / 8
Camber Angle: 2.5 / 3.5
Toe Angle: 0 / -1
Stabilizers: 4 / 5
Brake Balance: 10 / 12
LSD Init. Torque: 10 / 15
LSD Acceleration: 35 / 45
LSD Deceleration: 15 / 25
Downforce: 15 / 7
Transmission Level: 12
Front Wheel Dist: 35

Maybe these will help. Remember, however, that everyone has a different driving style. Personally, I am one to always brake before the corners and then turn in, minimizing the amount of braking while cornering. You may have a different driving style which would mean different settings. Anyways, hope these new settings help.
 
Car:1981 Toyota Celica XX 2800GT
Engine: 2.8l L6 DOHC
Aspiration: Natural
Drivetrain: Front Engine, Rear-wheel drive
HP/TQ: 170@5,600/173@4,400
Weight: 2717lbs


Modifications:
Engine/Exhaust: Racing Exhaust, Sports ECU, NA Stage 3
Brakes: Racing, Brake Controller
Drivetrain: Customizable Transmission, Triple Plate Clutch, Racing Flywheel, Customizable LSD, Carbon Driveshaft
Suspension: Racing
Other: Body Refresher, GT Wing
Tires: R3-Medium

Information:
Track: Nurburgring Nordschleife
Lap Time: 7'43.901 (one lap)
Tuned HP: 288

Settings:
Spring Rate: 6.0 / 9.6
Ride Height: 137 / 144
Shock Bound: 6 / 4
Shock Rebound: 7 / 6
Camber Angle: 2.5 / 3.0
Toe Angle: 1 / -1
Stabilizers: 4 / 5
Brake Balance: 8 / 7
LSD Init. Torque: 21
LSD Acceleration: 42
LSD Deceleration: 25
Downforce: 8 / 11
Transmission Level: 9

Notes:
The Celica XX with this setting is sure to give a good time to anyone willing to try it out. The settings allow for a lot of spring movement, especially in the back, to accomodate the bumpiness of the course. The camber angles may be a little higher than some of you would like but I found this to be a good setting for cornering. The transmission can be adjusted further, but I found an auto setting of 9 tops off the gears quite nicely.

This is meant to be a "grip" type set-up rather than a "drift" type. I have never been really good at drifting so I choose to stay away from it. For those of you who would want the rear end to come out more, I would suggest lowering the Acceration side of the LSD first, and then move onto stiffening up the rear shocks and eventually changing the rear downforce.
 
Back