High Ping Low Ping Sweet Spot

• Thread starter Junkman55
  • 4 comments

Junkman55

(Banned)
United States
United States
Hypothetically speaking is there a ping sweet spot of time to and from server in the 3 daily’s .

The reason I am asking is everyone on the same page the lower the ping is better for all driving situations no getting round that. The only exception is The Who and why one driver will get the penalty and the other doesn’t. leads me to the low ping will get there and back first and the server is still waiting for the high ping to prove there was a penalty to be given. In all forums drivers never see their penalty get lowered or taken away . But They did say the driver that hit them from behind most times never gets the penalty. Every body knows one penalty can make you a winner or a bridesmaid.
Where in shooter gaming seeing enemy first with a low ping will give you the kills . In Racing getting a low ping will give you a Penalty first with a great drive.

Last edited:
Hypothetically speaking is there a ping sweet spot of time to and from server in the 3 daily’s .

The reason I am asking is everyone on the same page the lower the ping is better for all driving situations no getting round that. The only exception is The Who and why one driver will get the penalty and the other doesn’t. leads me to the low ping will get there and back first and the server is still waiting for the high ping to prove there was a penalty to be given. In all forums drivers never see their penalty get lowered or taken away . But They did say the driver that hit them from behind most times never gets the penalty. Every body knows one penalty can make you a winner or a bridesmaid.
Where in shooter gaming seeing enemy first with a low ping will give you the kills . In Racing getting a low ping will give you a Penalty first with a great drive.
No, because as mentioned in the other thread where you floated this idea, it's your own console that generates the penalty based on what it sees you doing.

No, because as mentioned in the other thread where you floated this idea, it's your own console that generates the penalty based on what it sees you doing.

I do agree with you that that the console generates the penalty. My question when will it apply to the race before or after it’s sent to the server to show two driver made contact.

Why I an curious is we are told that to be competitive on all online gaming having low ms ping will give you the advantage for seeing things faster then your competition . The number One complaints of GT Sport is the penalty system. The number one penalty is contact between drivers during the race. Having only one driver serve a penalty in a two driver contact is a problem.

My question when will it apply to the race before or after it’s sent to the server to show two driver made contact.
It isn't sent to any server to show contact; in any case for almost all races, there isn't even a server to send it to. Your console does it all, then it tells everyone else's console about it. Your console observes contact/off-track/yellow flag infringements, decides the penalty/SR hit, and then tells everyone else what the penalty was.
Why I an curious is we are told that to be competitive on all online gaming having low ms ping will give you the advantage for seeing things faster then your competition
No. That isn't how it works. You don't see things faster at all. Who's telling you that? Having a low ping allows everyone else to see your position accurately - the lower the ping, the more accurate the position. Great in online racing, terrible in first-person shooters (for you).

But your ping isn't the be-all and end-all; it's a one-time measurement of how long it takes data to take a round trip from your machine to whatever server you're sending the data to. You're just one person. A race is 12 or more people, and all of them are sending data to each other (except in the FIA races, when they're sending it to a regional server; these are in Amsterdam, Tokyo, Sydney, Sao Paulo, and Virginia).

Your ping to a server might be 15ms, but the other people aren't at that server. They're at home, and if their home is on the other side of the planet your ping to them could be 250ms or more (and vice versa). How long it takes data to go from you to your local server in Speedtest and back is simply irrelevant; how long it takes data to go from you to Virginia (in your case) and back is barely relevant.

Take a Daily Race in which you face someone who lives in Santiago, Chile. By in-game speed tests you record a 15ms ping to Virginia, but your data isn't going there. It's probably going down to Florida, through Panama, and down the Curie cable to Santiago. Round trip time is 140ms+, and that makes your ping to him - and his to you - 140ms+.

Now let's start adding drivers elsewhere in the Americas; put someone in Toronto, someone in Uruguay, someone in California... you need to send data to all of these people, and they all need to send data to each other. Suddenly "your" 15ms ping is 200ms+, because that's how long the round trip from Toronto to Montevideo is. That's peer-to-peer for you: only as good as the weakest link in the chain. As they say in Star Trek, ye cannae break the laws of physics.

However, it generally works. You'll see people skip around, and there's a couple of reasons for that. First is that your console is basically guessing where they are, based on where they were the last time they knew and where their last inputs say they were about to go; it's generally quite good, because the stream of information is constant, but it may be ten frames out at 200ms. A car about to turn a corner but not yet turning may be picked up ten frames later while turning, so your console guesses it's still going straight and it'll appear to go straight, before it updates to where it actually is and the car skips back onto the racing line and pointing the right way. The more sudden and unexpected the movement, the larger the disparity. The bigger issue is "jitter", which you can think of as variation in ping. Essentially the connection's ping is unstable and may send data much later than expected, then send a lot of it at once. That's what results in massive teleportation around the track, and while not definitely always the case, the longer trip that data takes (through junctions and data centres), the more likely it is to vary in latency.

The number One complaints of GT Sport is the penalty system. The number one penalty is contact between drivers during the race. Having only one driver serve a penalty in a two driver contact is a problem.
And that has nothing to do with ping, as previously discussed in the other thread.

I want to thank you for spending the time sharing your knowledge on this topic , Internet gaming is confusing . If you go on YouTube they talk about low lag , low latency, low ping all measure in time to give a more competitive and enjoyable experience.
The ping test to server in GT sport is the only test giving you information about your connection and the competition before each race . If some consoles are guessing because of a high ping time we try to avoid them. Can it also be said guessing can miss penalties

Last edited:
Back