Highbeams broken?

I think there is a bug with the headlights? I've found I can see much, much better on low beam than I can on highbeam. I found this when I was driving the 908. When the highbeam was on, it would illuminate the sides of the track, but it wouldn't illuminate anything infront of your car, ie the road. The low beam illuminated the road in front of me like it should, and it seemed to be what you'd expect from low beam in a car. Can anyone else test their highbeams to see if they find the same findings?

I think there is a bug with the headlights? I've found I can see much, much better on low beam than I can on highbeam. I found this when I was driving the 908. When the highbeam was on, it would illuminate the sides of the track, but it wouldn't illuminate anything infront of your car, ie the road. The low beam illuminated the road in front of me like it should, and it seemed to be what you'd expect from low beam in a car. Can anyone else test their highbeams to see if they find the same findings?

i have the same issue with the 908.

This also happens with me - however it also happens for me in real life, once I switch to high beam the spread of light moves away from the car and lights up the side of the roads.

I wouldn't say it's a glitch, more of PD trying to emulate real life but not quite getting it 100%.

Bearing mind we are talking race/sports cars and not road going saloons; highbeam is supposed to spread the light and driving lights/spots should provide the fill. So what you are saying is actually PD getting it right, it is just the driving lights/spots may not be working to create the fill in front of the car. It is all down to the reflectors.

The lamb at night in the grand tour event is horrible due to bad lights. I can't see anything with either high or low beam.

This also happens with me - however it also happens for me in real life, once I switch to high beam the spread of light moves away from the car and lights up the side of the roads.

I wouldn't say it's a glitch, more of PD trying to emulate real life but not quite getting it 100%.

I would say your car might fail the MOT.
The lights should not aim towards oncoming traffic but slightly to the left as you drive in england.

The lamb at night in the grand tour event is horrible due to bad lights. I can't see anything with either high or low beam.

This seems to be a bug with the course creator theme tracks.
The lights don't light up the road at all in some places, it's really sad because the lighting effects at Le Mans or the Nordschleife are insane and you see enough.

This happens to me in all my cars.
Really, I only use the high beam for flashing people, other wise just keep the lowbeam on.

Bearing mind we are talking race/sports cars and not road going saloons; highbeam is supposed to spread the light and driving lights/spots should provide the fill. So what you are saying is actually PD getting it right, it is just the driving lights/spots may not be working to create the fill in front of the car. It is all down to the reflectors.

No it isn't working correctly. The point of highbeam is to see better than you can with lowbeam, if that isn't happening then something is broken. In this case Highbeam does nothing to illuminate the road in front of you, It is marginally better than no light at all.

I just thought the same thing today. I was on the Nurb and it seems as if the high beams (even in road cars) just make the tree's, and objects in the far distance and to the side light up somewhat, but the road in front of you around 30 feet is pitch black. I'm forced to toggle between low and high beams around corners just to see where the road is. In some spots the road is literally invisible with high beams. I did notice cars with xenon halogen's light the road significantly better.

Look at real race footage from Le Mans, Sebring, Daytona, or Nurburgrig. Our lights in GT5 are a far cry from reality. Videos of GT5 at night may look bright, but in front of your own display, lighting is way too dark. Unless you boost the brightness, then it white washes and will look like crap in daylight.

Here we go again. Watch a vid of an LMP round LeMans at night, onboard footage. Yea, from the side of the track it looks bright, different story from a more driving PoV. Keep in mind cameras tend to amplify what is there and make things brighter as well. Listen to an interview with one of the drivers, more than likely they will say they more or less are driving from memory. There is a reason they don't put the one off "gentleman drivers" in the car at night.

High Beams are fine. Please go drive at night at speed in a low light area. The real difference between high and low is more or less the high beams project further out, which means they are more helpful at speed rather than slow driving.

When your driving fast, what is 75 feet in front of you is completely irrelevant. It's too late to do anything at speed to avoid it, hence "out driving the lights".

A) Bumper Cam is absurdly low compared to where you actually would sit. So you can't really see to far out, where the high beams would be more beneficial.
B) Shadows are indeed way to dark in GT5 (Which could be to blame), from the cockpit.

The highbeam from the golf xenon headlights project enough light to make out objects a couple hundred metres away, the highbeams in gt5 don't even illuminate 50m of actual road.

I've been to my share of ALMS races. The headlights light up the car in front like a Christmas tree! GT5's headlamps are abysmal. Take a look at Shift 2 Unleashed's pre-release night racing shots. THAT'S what night racing looks like!

(Don't get me wrong, there's much in Shift that needs improvement - hopefully Shift2 will take care of some of it. But Shift got engine and car noise GREAT, and night racing looks like it is going to be good, too. GT5 could learn some from them, in places. This might be blasphemy here, but it is just how I feel)

From my rare occasions venturing forth in the dark I have always thought that the high beams should also illuminate the road!

Also, driving at night during the game while it is light in the room you are playing makes it very difficult. I feel the lights are a little off, but better than most think under the right circumstances.

on my toyota when i turn on the high beams it leaves the low beams on so it only adds light. it's not like that in the game. how come?

Latest Posts

Back