Hillclimbs

SigmaViper11
I did a search for hill climbs but mostly what I found was in reference to bringing back pikes peak or the course editor. If I over looked something, my apologies.
I haven't posted in quite some time but here is my thing, with Gran Turismo putting more focus on drifting, time attack and real world curses, I'm surprised they haven't been reported taking note of hill climb course like the aforementioned Pikes Peak, or Gydo Pass, Goodwood, or the Race to the Sky course. For that matter I'm surprised we don't have any form of autocross really.
I'm not saying it should be DLC or whether or not in can be made in the Course editor. My point is, while we have plenty of race tracks (Circuits, Rally etc) why not put a little focus on some point to point races that the fans will likely enjoy.
Maybe in GT5, maybe GT6, hopefully not so far as a 7thy installment if we get there. I think it would be good, both for the variety of the game as well as for more challenges for people to refine their skills with. Try to beat Monster Tajima.

Its just a thought and it seems not many have addressed it directly.

Hill-climbing is one of the earliest and greatest forms of motor racing, along with true long-distance inter-city, cross-country type races, e.g. as perpetuated by the Mille Miglia until it too was stopped. Sadly the latter kind of racing doesn't really exist anymore (unless you count rallying, e.g. Paris-Dakar), but hill-climbing is still pretty popular.

It should definitely be in the game, in some form. 👍

Last edited:
In Japan they have an amazing hillclimb called SHOMARU PASS and i have it for rFactor and it is one of the best and challenging hillclimbs + fun as hell. It is unique and fantastic to race with a Rally car because it is extremely thinner.

In this video some crazy guy with a radical SR8:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3j6I9gKgsA

Despite the awful music in this video 2 guys in a Touge event (it looks better than the first video just mute it lol):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx_9tAXTOwY

Again turn off the sound and a guy drifting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_msRe6W5Jhc

And the real deal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNZaRfzxfOA

And i must add...this is in Japan...i repeat...IN JAPAN...okay KAZ!:dopey:

Drive the Nordschleife backwards from the straight til around the Karussel. Your decision to drive the straight or not. It's close enough to an uphill run, haha.

Drive the Nordschleife backwards from the straight til around the Karussel. Your decision to drive the straight or not. It's close enough to an uphill run, haha.

Well, the thing is I'm not trying to ghettofy it. I want legit hill climbs that people can do time attack runs, touge or drifting.

And what as been provided by the rest of you are excellent examples of what I'm talking about.

I would love hill climb tracks, both dirt and tarmac! I have a few Mt Aso and Eifel custom tracks that could be considered hill climbs but without a full ability to play with the elevation they aren't spectacular. I'd really like to see Pikes Peak back.

I am definitely one of those people who want to see true uphill/downhill tracks make their way to the GT series. I'll never be disappointed by PD adding new race tracks to the game, but I would much rather see a few "tracks" that are actually mountain roads (Japanese, Euro, American mtn passes, stuff like that).

So with that in mind. You want uphill...this is uphill!!! This is the Irohozaka Touge, located in Nikko Japan. One path is uphill, the other is downhill.

Yes, the Irohazaka touge both connect with each other.

Here's a screen shot I took from Google maps:
IrohaSlopes.png

And here's a few pics off of google.
matyupityu_irohazaka.jpg

IrohazakaNikko.jpg

183147634_e71fe51d90_b1.jpg

I'm not completely sure if this shot is real or not. It almost looks too good to be true...
60676842.jpg

I know there are dozens of other Japanese touges, but I think this one is unique in that a full loop can be made. A "track" like this would add so many possibilities to the GT series.

A hillclimb area (lots of courses within one map) would be awesome. Cars like the Caterham and the Ginetta would be perfect for them!

It's in the same 'arena' as rally stages as well, and I'd hope that PD have learnt something from the GT5 implementation of rally stages. I thought the random generation idea was good, but the stages were often too wide and pretty boring to be honest. Some real hardcore set stages would be cool (like the DiRT efforts, which are fantastic), and some work on the random gen idea would be great for both rally and hillclimb events.

I am definitely one of those people who want to see true uphill/downhill tracks make their way to the GT series. I'll never be disappointed by PD adding new race tracks to the game, but I would much rather see a few "tracks" that are actually mountain roads (Japanese, Euro, American mtn passes, stuff like that).

So with that in mind. You want uphill...this is uphill!!! This is the Irohozaka Touge, located in Nikko Japan. One path is uphill, the other is downhill.

And here's a few pics off of google.

I'm not completely sure if this shot is real or not. It almost looks too good to be true...

I know there are dozens of other Japanese touges, but I think this one is unique in that a full loop can be made. A "track" like this would add so many possibilities to the GT series.

(pictures removed)

I love to see this without a doubt :drool:

Point to point races in GT5 felt incomplete in my opinion as many other things that GT5 has in the game already.

I am not in the online world and i am one of those who plays just for race against AI but mostly to set lap times in circuits and point or point roads as Rally or hillclimbs.

pCARS added 2 amazing roads Azure coast and California Highway and those looks and are incredible. And you can race too. More or less 8 minutes run with a Caterham R500 and with a F1 car 6 minutes of pure fun.

GT needs this.👍

Here's a video I found randomly. It's wing suit flying above the Irohozaka touge...this guy is :censored:ing nuts...but look at how beautiful those roads are!!!

[url]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xmlAW_1hgT8[/URL]

Those tracks would have me up all night for days. They are absolutely beautiful tracks that would be perfect for point to point hill stages.

Those look like some serious challenges too, but would also give the lower horsepower cars more place to race as well.

ShortAznGuy
Do you guys think Gran Turismo will have an updated Pikes Peak now that it's paved? Legit hill climb!

Not a chance. It's waaaaay too big for them to be able to model it in a timely fashion.

Not a chance. It's waaaaay too big for them to be able to model it in a timely fashion.

They made a 30283 meters oval, Nurburgring VLN and 24h version...and they can´t make Pikes Peak which is 19.983 meters long and has 156 curves...???

Nurburgring 24h is 25.359 meters and has 89 curves.

Yeah...that makes sense...they can´t...:dopey:

Foxiol
They made a 30283 meters oval, Nurburgring VLN and 24h version...and they can´t make Pikes Peak which is 19.983 meters long and has 156 curves...???

Nurburgring 24h is 25.359 meters and has 89 curves.

Yeah...that makes sense...they can´t...:dopey:

I think you are failing to understand that track length doesn't directly correspond with how much modelling needs to be done.

Pikes peak goes up a mountain. If you want to model the course, you also have to model a mountain.

They've just scanned Bathurst... For GT6. Now what makes you think that they could scan and create Pikes Peak in time for a later GT5 DLC?

I think you are failing to understand that track length doesn't directly correspond with how much modelling needs to be done.

Pikes peak goes up a mountain. If you want to model the course, you also have to model a mountain.

They've just scanned Bathurst... For GT6. Now what makes you think that they could scan and create Pikes Peak in time for a later GT5 DLC?

Oh well for upcoming DLC impossible (but if they make it for the upcoming year it is possible) but PD can make it.

I think Pikes Peak will come. I think most of those secret tracks that were unveiled a while back will come. I'm pretty sure they can manage several hill climbs. Hoever, I think all of that will be in the next installment of Gran Turismo.

Back