Hillman Imp 1963

United Kingdom
Pompey
CyKosis1973
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp

BHP789K_Hillman_Imp_dogfoodrun_2010.jpg

UGX434F_Stiletto_Imp07.jpg

The saloon was the Hillman Imp - the fastback body shown looks like the Sunbeam Stilletto.

I agree with sirjim it would be great to have the Hillman Imp to compete with the Mini especially if we also had the Ford Anglia (I will do a thread on that now if one hasn't already been started). For many years Minis, Imps and Anglias dominated the British saloon car racing scene in the up to 1 litre category and the up to 1300cc category and I have many happy memories of watching races between these three cars.

Clip from a recent race meeting shows Imps, Minis, Anglias, Lotus Cortinas in action:

The saloon was the Hillman Imp - the fastback body shown looks like the Sunbeam Stilletto.

I agree with sirjim it would be great to have the Hillman Imp to compete with the Mini especially if we also had the Ford Anglia (I will do a thread on that now if one hasn't already been started). For many years Minis, Imps and Anglias dominated the British saloon car racing scene in the up to 1 litre category and the up to 1300cc category and I have many happy memories of watching races between these three cars.

Clip from a recent race meeting shows Imps, Minis, Anglias, Lotus Cortinas in action:

Nice video, tough track Oulten Park, I like it though. I appreciate the two above are the coupé bodies, the Imp was preferred by the racers, but I love the look of the fastbacks 👍

{Cy}

Hi CyKosis - I also love the fastbacks. As you probably know the Rootes group contained many former British car company names so the different model styles or trim levels were given different names:

Hillman Imp - saloon
Sunbeam Stilleto - Imp fastback with four headlights
Singer Chamois - Imp fastback with two headlights
Commer Imp - Imp van

The imp engine was an excellent and very lightweight aluminium lump of 875 or 998cc which had a great racing history and versions of it dominated the British motorcycle sidecar racing scene until motors from the Yamaha TZ750 two stroke race bike took over.

I wonder how many readers remember the great imp based sports cars the Davrian Imp and the Clan Crusader.

First the Davrian which was incredibly successful in British circuit and rally racing - it only weighed approximately 460kg in road trim and was co-designed by former Ferrari F1 driver and engineer Mike Parkes.

Davrian Imp.jpg
Davrian Imp Black.jpg

Next the Imp based Clan Crusader:

Clan Crusader front.jpg
Clan Crusader rear.png

Last edited:
1963_Hillman_Imp_%2821873624542%29.jpg
1963_Hillman_Imp_%2821697719288%29.jpg

Firs of all, the red car in the suggestion is an Sunbeam looks like an Stiletto... And a second thing, here's some specifications

Hillman Imp 1963

Powertrain: 875 cc , Inline-4 , SOHC , single Solex carburetor , 40 hp / 4800 rpm , 70,5 Nm / 2800 rpm , 4-speed manual

Dimensions: Length 3531 mm , Width 1530 mm , Height 1384 mm , Weight 711 kg

Performance: Top speed 122 km/h , 0-100 km/h 23,2 sec

Information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillman_Imp

Last edited:
Back