HKS racint controller, changing potentiometers?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rittig
  • 12 comments
  • 1,190 views
Messages
60
Messages
ClausR
Hi.

I just wore out my 3rd HKS Racing Controller...

I keep wearing out the throttle potentiometer, it seems. I've tried stripping it and cleaning the pot-meter with contact cleaner and pressurized air, but it only provided a short time fix.
I tried "tightening it up" with pliers, but that did no good.
Anyone know if that potentiometer can be bought retail? Where? Name or parts-no?
 
Wow.

I saw these things when they were released. Really fancied one.

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Maybe think about a DFGT?

I'm quite pleased to see someone actually uses one of these, but to have such a high failure rate?

I'd of given up after the second one.

Sorry I can't help with you particular issue, but if I do use a controller, for a quick drift or if a mate comes over and I want then to use the wheel, I set throttle and brake to the triggers, with triangle gear up, square gear down, x as reverse and circle as handbrake. I find this gives me an acceptable amount of control.

I'm not sure how much the HKS is, but I'm guessing you could have bought a DFGT with the money you have spent on 3 of them.

I've had my DFGT years now. The FFB motor went in my first one, but as it was under warranty, Logitech sent me a brand new one and didn't even want the broken one back! The replacement has never missed a beat, and it gets some serious abuse from me whilst drifting and generally larking about.

Good luck, hopefully someone will be along to help with sourcing parts if your dead set on using the HKS still.
 
Holy crap you paid that much money for an over glorified DS3?
 
I tried one for a while, until it wore out as you have seen. I have the G25 wheel that I use when I want to set up a table in front of the TV to mount it to. But for most daily driving I lay back in a couch and use the HKS Controller.

It would be nice to have a higher quality model. I now have a second PS3 with the wheel set up permanently so I can just change location inside the house to drive now.

And the HKS did feel better for my shaky 10 thumbs.
 
Hi.

I just wore out my 3rd HKS Racing Controller...

I keep wearing out the throttle potentiometer, it seems. I've tried stripping it and cleaning the pot-meter with contact cleaner and pressurized air, but it only provided a short time fix.
I tried "tightening it up" with pliers, but that did no good.
Anyone know if that potentiometer can be bought retail? Where? Name or parts-no?

If you lived in the US, I would gladly sell you my HKS controller that I rarely use now that I have a DFGT.....
 
Use a hammer to smash this faulty thing, And buy a wheel don't waste your money anymore , you'll be satisfied and come out cheaper in the long run
 
You are all entitled to your opinons of course, even without knowing the parameters :-)

Yes, I really, really like the HKS controller. I'll keep buying them when they wear out, it I have to.
But if I could just exchange the potentiometer, that would save me some money, and that would be nice.

I have no room for a stearing wheel, so that is not an option for me. (The wife and kids take up a loooot of space).

Using the DS3 controller is an option, I tried that using the triggers for throttle/brake, and this works just fine. But still, I like the ergonomics of the HKS better, and prefer that solution.

Please? Anyone? Changing pot-meters? (I'm experinced with a soldering iron and pump).
Or if anyone had a cheap/reliable source for more HKS controllers, that might be good too. Gamestop seems to have sold out now...
 
I don't think anyone has ever changed the pot meter on these things, you should open a defective one again and see if you can get something similar from an electrical shop
 
Never heard of a racing controller before. Just googled and it looks pretty good. There's one problem with it though: you get precise accelerating and braking, but you don't get precise steering (you still have to use an analog stick).
 
Never heard of a racing controller before. Just googled and it looks pretty good. There's one problem with it though: you get precise accelerating and braking, but you don't get precise steering (you still have to use an analog stick).

Steering wheel (dial) is above the analog stick.

I would suggest OP looks for something like this instead

vrc_usb_controller.jpg
 
Steering wheel (dial) is above the analog stick.
Oh, is that what that is? I actually really like the look on those controllers, its a shame they apparently don't last very long (and I have a wheel anyway).
 
I don't think anyone has ever changed the pot meter on these things, you should open a defective one again and see if you can get something similar from an electrical shop

I already opened it up and cleaned the pot-meter (contact cleaner and pressurized air), but it only bought me another 2 weeks... Yes, I suppose my next step would be to remove the pot-meter, and bring it to the local Electronics shop for investigation. Just thought maybe someone had already done that?
 
Steering wheel (dial) is above the analog stick.

I would suggest OP looks for something like this instead

vrc_usb_controller.jpg

Yeah, I use something similar for my RC cars, but it doesn't handle gearshifts, and I need that for GT6...
 
Back