Hommell Berlinette RS Coupe 1999

  • Thread starter Thread starter smearz
  • 10 comments
  • 5,233 views
Messages
24
Messages
CHRISakaTATO
What is up with this car?

It seems like it should be great. Mid-engine; good-lookin'; exotic; big wheels and tires; weird mechanism thing on the side glass (?)...anyway....
Seems like.

But then you drive it.

It's got no low-end torque, doesn't pick up good speed until midway through 3rd gear, runs the road like it's on butter-coated rollerblades, and it's got absolutely no stopping power whatsoever.

I slightly tuned mine to use it in the Amateur Tous France Championship and Le Sarthe just eats this thing alive. It is so unstable at high speeds it's ridiculous.

Anyone figure this thing out?
 
What is up with this car?

It seems like it should be great. Mid-engine; good-lookin'; exotic; big wheels and tires; weird mechanism thing on the side glass (?)...anyway....
Seems like.

But then you drive it.

It's got no low-end torque, doesn't pick up good speed until midway through 3rd gear, runs the road like it's on butter-coated rollerblades, and it's got absolutely no stopping power whatsoever.

I slightly tuned mine to use it in the Amateur Tous France Championship and Le Sarthe just eats this thing alive. It is so unstable at high speeds it's ridiculous.

Anyone figure this thing out?

I didnt think it was too bad tbh, wasnt by any means great and i was expecting "more", but hey i only used it for that one race.
 
It's fine for that france championships you mentioned earlier, I've done it with a bone stock hommell, though mine was on some sport hards. Lift off oversteer is a characteristic of MR cars and ignoring the inhertent oversteer on most MR cars, the hommell handles quite well. As for accerlation, it only have a hundered or so horses (not quite sure how much exactly), it's no drag racing car but once you get it going, you can keep it going easily due to it's light weight.
 
I thought this car was alot better in GT4, one of my favourites in fact. But i'm not a big fan of it in GT5, it just doesn't seem to handle well. I might tweak the setup if I find time to which should improve the handling.
 
its kind of like a french lotus elise but not as good.... i won it somwhere and used it in the french thing....
 
its kind of like a french lotus elise but not as good.... i won it somwhere and used it in the french thing....

That's exactly what I thought when I first drove it. The Elise was a pain in the ass to figure out how to keep from losing grip. This thing is that x100. It's crazy how little it takes to lose grip.

The RS stands for Reál Shi..é, which is French for real shi..y.
 
"butter-coated rollerblades" - thats one to remember lol:sly:

Its ok if you give it some better tires. I think it suffers in the same way the Elise does, but it benefits quite a bit from that little extra bit of grip.
 
I think this car wins the award for "Looks most like a car from GT1".
 
I've not driven it, but there are some cars that PD obviously didn't double check. The biggest disappointment in GT for me is the S7. Every GT game that has featured it has got it completely wrong. I could maybe understand if they messed up in GT4 and then fixed it in GT5, but it seems as though all the did was port the old data from 4 into 5. I wouldn't be surprised if the code for the car had the rear tire width set to .05 inches.
 
I love that car, actually. I think it handles great. Not much acceleration, but no problems in the corner.
 
I attempted to take it to the 'Ring but it wouldn't start. Just gave up, it seems.
 
Back