Honda CBR cylinder head?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wee_man
  • 3 comments
  • 955 views
Messages
1,476
Sorry another thread and more information that continues to allude me on the net and libraries.
Anyone know how the Honda CBR cylinder head is made? I'm guessing it's alluminium die cast, and cast in two halves/casts? Though I can't be certain and need a definate answere.
 
Hi wee_man

Good question, pretty much any high performance bike head is made using high pressure die casting. This forces out more of the air bubbles that can plague an ally casting.

And I imagine it would be more than a two piece mould. Heads are a complex shape, even before machining, and the mould will probably have a lot of movements in it.

The head will have some initial machining, then the valve seats will be pressed in, the cam ladder or camcaps will be bolted on and the camshaft bore will be drilled plus any final machining.

cheers,

Kurtis.
 
KurtisGSXR
Hi wee_man

Good question, pretty much any high performance bike head is made using high pressure die casting. This forces out more of the air bubbles that can plague an ally casting.

And I imagine it would be more than a two piece mould. Heads are a complex shape, even before machining, and the mould will probably have a lot of movements in it.

The head will have some initial machining, then the valve seats will be pressed in, the cam ladder or camcaps will be bolted on and the camshaft bore will be drilled plus any final machining.

cheers,

Kurtis.

Thanks a lot for the help Kurtis :) 👍 . You comfirmed my thoughts. The information was great, can't find anything like that on the net :).
Cheers again.
btw are you an automotive engineer or in the buisiness?
 
No worries bud. Happy to help.

Bit of both to be honest. I design bikes, and I love my job! Are you studying for Auto Eng?


Kurtis.
 
Back