Honda could be axing its UK car factory in 2022

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 36 comments
And to be fair to Honda, it is a great pity that there isn't even agreement on a transition period that might have stayed their hand on a decision until a bit further down the line. But this is why I'm taking issue with the way the Article 50 process has been handled by both the EU and the UK - surely it was not beyond the wit of man to separate different parts of the Withdrawal Agreement such that a transition period may have been legally guaranteed under all circumstances... and trade deal negotiations could have also taken place during the Article 50 process as opposed to after it... instead, the backstop issue has wrecked everything - and probably cost a lot of people in Swindon, and the car industry in the UK in general, their jobs.

Perhaps it is a subtle point, but what Honda's statements make clear is that Brexit need not necessarily have been a reason for them to pull out of the UK... but, the way that the negotiations have been botched has been a (large) contributory factor.

Perhaps it is a subtle point, but what Honda's statements make clear is that Brexit need not necessarily have been a reason for them to pull out of the UK... but, the way that the negotiations have been botched has been a (large) contributory factor.
Oh I agree that it didn't have to, but the way its been carried out means it is a big factor.

To be honest one of the reasons why I've not been surprised by it is that many of Honda's requirements were at odds with what many Brexitieers wanted out of Brexit anyway.

And Honda has now had to admit that it had planned to begin hybrid production in Swindon after all, with equipment for the new lines already ordered and on route.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk...lectric-cars-in-swindon-before-plant-closure/

That puts the nail in the desire to move all eV production to Japan argument.

So debunked arguments on this now cover: diesel sales (only 12%), model sales (civic remains Hondas sales lead product), and now EV wasn't going to happen outside Japan.

Odd that the one Honda attempted to say wasn't the cause is still standing strong.

So this thread popped up in my feed and I thought a final update on it would be good.

The site is now closed, with thousands out of work, however the final package offered by Honda and negotiated by the union being well above the UKs legal minimum, at 6.5 weeks salary per year of service with no cap.

The land is mainly being repuposed for warehousing and distribution hubs, which will not come close to offering jobs of a similar wage bracket as Honda did.

Those of us in the industry have also seen the more and more clear indicators that the final straw in the closure firmly rested on Brexit, a sad irony as Swindon was majority leave voters.

Last edited:
sad irony
Ignoring thousands of years of historical precedent and voting for your own demise is not sad, it's stupid. Call it what it is.

That said, I've been the child of a family who suffered a surprise layoff. I hope the region's industry is robust enough to find new jobs elsewhere. Most of their new situations will likely never bee as good as what they had. Like several of my own family members, they'll likely find themselves in a downward spiral. But it's what they wanted so I mean what can ya do.

Ignoring thousands of years of historical precedent and voting for your own demise is not sad, it's stupid. Call it what it is.

That said, I've been the child of a family who suffered a surprise layoff. I hope the region's industry is robust enough to find new jobs elsewhere. Most of their new situations will likely never bee as good as what they had. Like several of my own family members, they'll likely find themselves in a downward spiral. But it's what they wanted so I mean what can ya do.
Swindon is fortunate that unemployment is very low and most of it's very short term, however as you quite rightly say the chances of getting jobs with comparable salary's and packages are very low.

Back