Honda NSX 650pp-High Speed Ring

• Thread starter Groundking
  • 24 comments
GTP_Groundking
This is my setup for the honda NSX which i have mannaged to break into the 1'11's with.

Power (BHP) 407 - +38
Weight (kg) 1079 - %85
Tyres s3/F - R1/R

Ride height (mm) -10/F - -5/R
Spring rate 4/F - 5/R
Damper 3/F - 3/R
Toe (in/out) +0.10/F+R
Brake balance 7/F+R
Max Turning angle-40
TC-3
ABS-1

1st Gear-43mph-3.066
2ND Gear-68mph-1.956
3rd Gear-94MPH-1.428
4th Gear-119-1.125
5th Gear-144-0.931
6th Gear-190-0.795
Final Gear-4.443

Comment please, and post improvements that you have made ;)

-GK

I only mannaged to do a 1.11:8 last night, most of the time i was doin low 1.12. I didnt try it enought tho only did 10 laps. Your set up is very good. Im goin to try my gearing with your set up to see how that suits, cos there isnt much between. The only thing i didnt like was redline in 6th gear when im drifting someone

I use R1/R1 and I think I drove a few 1.09.xxx
Will check it later on.

Try R3s and you'll find yourself doing low 1'09s. ;)

R3's are no fun at all :) Besides, I hate being slipstreamed. With my current setup, all those R3'ers can't keep up with me on the straight, not even when slipstreaming.

This is my setup for the honda NSX which i have mannaged to break into the 1'11's with.

Power (BHP) 407 - +38
Weight (kg) 1079 - %85
Tyres s3/F - R1/R

Ride height (mm) -10/F - -5/R
Spring rate 4/F - 5/R
Damper 3/F - 3/R
Toe (in/out) +0.10/F+R
Brake balance 7/F+R
Max Turning angle-40
TC-3
ABS-1

1st Gear-43mph-3.066
2ND Gear-68mph-1.956
3rd Gear-94MPH-1.428
4th Gear-119-1.125
5th Gear-144-0.931
6th Gear-190-0.795
Final Gear-4.443

Comment please, and post improvements that you have made ;)

-GK

Wot no camber?

First thing I'm gonna say is turn the damn TC off. Having TCS on an MR layout car can really, really screw with your cornering, as throttle application mid corner is often vital to save lift off oversteer murduring you if things get sideways. This allows you to use lift off oversteer as an asset rather then a liability, or though perhaps not so much on HSR due to the tracks camber, however on the flat esses you can really gain some.

I would also recommend tyres in the same class rather then S3 R1, although there will be a major drop in PP, you should still be able to keep 85% weight by dropping the power, cornering speed will be vastly improved on the flipside though, and you should still have more grunt then the R3 goers, enough to slingshot yourself ahead before the line on the straight. Mismatching tyres isn't to bad on say R1/R2, but having a set of sports and a set of racing tyres, will take away the NSXs fantastic poise and balance.

Hm, my NSX is much stiffer. My suspension is 6-7, 6-7.
And I use R1/R2, there's plenty of power or weight reduction left.

I'm managing some high 1.09's at the moment.

I have an unfinished tune for HSR and the NSX-R on R1s... Everything is done except the gearbox.... I have it standard now and its already doing 1.10s, high 1.09s... The thing which boggles me, is if I start to tune the gearbox my times go up... going into 1.11s, so Im actually thinking of leaving it stock since thats still been the fastest up til now...

I have an unfinished tune for HSR and the NSX-R on R1s... Everything is done except the gearbox.... I have it standard now and its already doing 1.10s, high 1.09s... The thing which boggles me, is if I start to tune the gearbox my times go up... going into 1.11s, so Im actually thinking of leaving it stock since thats still been the fastest up til now...

I have some gears that will make it go low 1'09's. You need a little longer gears for the sweeping turns. If you want I will give them to you.

I have some gears that will make it go low 1'09's. You need a little longer gears for the sweeping turns. If you want I will give them to you.

That would be great.... and the finishing touch to that tune which I never finished 👍 If you can, PM it to me :)

Let me get them right now..5 mins

1 - 3.066
2 - 1.956
3 - 1.428
4 - 1.125
5 - .914
6 - .795
Final - 4.164

Turn 2 use 4th
S Curve - 3rd
Last turn use 4th

Best Lap was 1'09.0XX

Last edited:
Let me get them right now..5 mins

1 - 3.066
2 - 1.956
3 - 1.428
4 - 1.125
5 - .914
6 - .795
Final - 4.164

Turn 2 use 4th
S Curve - 3rd
Last turn use 4th

Best Lap was 1'09.0XX

Nice one! 👍 Im going to give these shot with my tune when I have some time :)

I just typed a lot of text here, but it failed to post and I can't get it back :grumpy:

Anyway, in short, I didn't notice that much of a difference. I previously brought the final ratio down and left the other gears alone. But both your setup and my setup have no problem with the long sweeping turns or top speed when slipstreaming.

I think the biggest problem with the NSX is choosing the tyres. I switched from R1/R2 to R2/R2 and brought the weight down to 85%. The problem is that the car gets very, very slippery sometimes. It's fun to drive in controlable situations, like the long sweeping turns, but I hate it after the first corner. Sometimes it will just snap loose and there's nothing you can do about it.

Choosing a softer tyre on the rear seems the solve this problem (a bit). But the main fact remains, that if you remove too much weight with the NSX it becomes unstable. In my opinion at least :)

Try not to upset ths NSXs balance when cornering at speed such as in T1, feather the throttle but don't lay off fully and you should be able to make the turn easily on a correct line at around 165mph+ on R1s all round. If it lets loose then just stay flat in the throttle and carefully, VERY CAREFULLY apply a tiny amount of countersteer to bring it back into your control.

If you're still fearing this happening, set your suspension to stabilise the car and aim for understeer rather then opting for the easy option of putting some softer rear tyres on. That is if this is more beneficial then opting for the soft tyres, as you might want to have softer tyres on the rear if you're happy to drop a few horses in exchange.

Don't get me wrong, I like the NSX very much all over the circuit, just not T1. When very little correction is needed, it sometimes just goes wrong. Maybe it's because of the wheel (G25), because when things go very sideways I usually recover quite good. It's just that little twitch at the end of a corner at high speed (like T1) when you want to correct just a little and *bang*, it just snaps brutally to the other side.

It could also be my suspension. This is how it's set up:

6 - 6
7 - 7
Camber: 2.1 - 1.8

It's just that I feel that the car doesn't respond quickly enough when changing direction with softer settings. And I like the fact that it tends to oversteer rather than understeer. Just not at T1 :D

I'm using a G25 as well and I can quite easily counter the twitch you sometimes get (not to say I'm a better driver, it just can be done). Just keep your foot jammed to the floor when doing it so you don't shift the weight around more then need be.

Tuning for under or oversteer is all about bringing everything in the suspension set up to do so. The best advice I can give is to play around with one number at a time, see it's effects, then try another. This applies for spring rate, dampers, toe and everything else inbetween. It's much better to learn this way then for someone to just write some numbers down. Keep in mind that the NSX is an MR layout car though, as other cars react differently to the same adjustments, even other MR cars, but there are more similarities with cars layed out the same, then those not.

Back