Honda Odyssey 2000 auto tranny has died

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hot4
  • 11 comments
  • 880 views
Messages
339
Hi All,
I'm approaching this forum as a last resort for advice and help. My 4 cylinder Honda Odyssey 2000 auto tranny has died and I cannot drive the car. I have had the car serviced routinely by Honda during it's warranty and by authorized car service centres since. I have read various reports concerning the tranny in the US and when I approached Honda Australia I was told that it does not apply here in Australia. A recall concerning the tranny was issued for the 6 cylinder Honda Odyssey here in Australia but still Honda Australia will not help or even consider my case because I have a 4 cylinder. The only way I can be satisfied that my Honda should not be repaired by Honda is if the tranny was manufactured in a factory that has no history of producing defective tranny's. How can I find this information?
 
Well, the first number/letter of the VIN tells you where the car was manufactured. Although this does not provide conclusive evidence, you might be able to gain some information from it.
 
Huh, I didn't realize they made four cylinder Odysseys.
 
All first gen (4 reular doors) Odessys were 4 cylinders. Esentially a stretched Accord platform.
In Australia the 2nd gens had 4 cylinders, but not in the US.
In Australia, all 3rd gens will be 4 cylinder i-VTEC engines. (The power-hungry US only gets a V6.)
 
My cousins 2004 Sienna (SP?) has a defect already in the tranny I think from what I heard. Oh we have a 2002 ex V6 oddessy (SP?) and we had a minor problem with the tranny.
 
skip0110
In Australia, all 3rd gens will be 4 cylinder i-VTEC engines. (The power-hungry US only gets a V6.)

We already have 3rd gen Odysseys here in Aus (they are the flatter new ones, like in GT4:P right?)
 
I think you do.
1st gen
97odysse_p.jpg


2nd gen
00hondaodyssey.jpg


3rd gen
hn2005odyssey1155353m.jpg
 
Ours have the flat sleek headlights, like 2nd gen but new. Like the ones in GT4:P.

0,1658,383732,00.jpg
 
Japanese 3rd Generation Odyssey:

photo02.jpg
 
Yeah The Japanese one.
 
retsmah
Huh, I didn't realize they made four cylinder Odysseys.

You don't remember this?

96odyssey.jpg


Awful thing. And people think that because the 1999-2004 models were so good, models like these (1995-1998) can command a premium on the used market. Worse, people pay the premium, because they think there's some connection between the quality of the 99-04 models and the 95-98 models, while in reality the 95-98 models were hateful trash heaps and the 1999 redesign was among the best in automotive history.

Because of the strong bond between Honda and Isuzu at the time (1996-1999 Acura SLX was a rebadged Isuzu Trooper; 1994-2002 Honda Passport was a rebadged Isuzu Rodeo), Isuzu got a version of this called the Oasis. Angered at the lack of sales, Isuzu decided not to get the redesigned 1999 Odyssey as the next-generation Isuzu Oasis, instead quietly cancelling the first-generation model in 1999. Long-term, this move will probably end up bankrupting Isuzu's retail sales division, since, of course, the Odyssey took off after the 1999 redesign.
 
Back