Honda Prelude Concept

Antarctica
TRAPPIST-1g
ProjectWHaT
Honda Prelude Concept

Original livestream

They literally showed the car for like 3 seconds. The stream is all in Japanese so I have no idea what he said. We'll have to wait for them to release a press kit

1698197989481.png

1698197997127.png

1698198004685.png

1698198009842.png

1698198768151.png

The PRELUDE Concept expresses Honda’s determination to always continue creating products that make people want to enjoy driving and pursue driving pleasure even while electrifying its products to achieve carbon neutrality and the popularization of automated driving technology. The joy of driving and distinctive individuality of this model will enable people to transcend their everyday life.

Last edited:
Yeah, the overall shape reminds me of the last gen Civic Coupe, but a lot of the details like the lights are very Prius-esque.

English transcription of the livestream. It seems like they really said nothing about the car other than it's electric

Prelude Concept will take the "joy of driving" into the full-fledged electrified future

I have introduced some of the mobility products that embody Honda's dreams, which represent the Honda of today and the future. But we know our customers are expecting one more thing from Honda, and that is sports models.

At the automobile electrification business briefing we held last year, I talked about future sports models. Today, to conclude my presentation, I would like to show you one of them – the specialty sports model.

Everyone, this is the Prelude Concept.

Honda has always been committed to creating sporty vehicles. And the word "prelude" means an "introductory or preceding performance." This model will become the prelude for our future models which will inherit the "joy of driving" into the full-fledged electrified future and embody Honda's unalterable sports mindset. The Prelude Concept is a specialty sports model that will offer exhilarating experience that makes you want to keep going forever and extraordinary excitement you never felt before.

In order to offer the "joy of driving" only Honda can realize, we are diligently progressing with development, so please keep your expectations high for this model.

Cue the internet whining about it not looking exactly like a 4th or 5th gen and it not having a H22.

The PRELUDE Concept expresses Honda’s determination to always continue creating products that make people want to enjoy driving and pursue driving pleasure even while electrifying its products to achieve carbon neutrality and the popularization of automated driving technology. The joy of driving and distinctive individuality of this model will enable people to transcend their everyday life.
People don't buy coupe versions of saloons/sedans to 'transcend their everyday life' they buy them to commute to work through heavy slow moving traffic, day in, day out. :rolleyes:

Other than whatever's going on with the front headlights (or just headlight?), I think it's a very good looking car. It's a heck of a lot more interesting than the average SUV everyone's tripping over themselves to buy anyway.

It's fine. Objectively it's a sleek, nice looking car. But in terms of Preludes, this thing looks too cab-forward and obviously front-wheel drive to be a Prelude. The older cars had more classic coupe proportions which actually confused quite a few people into thinking they were rear-drive.

Honda-Prelude_Si-1990-1280-02.jpg

2B9E939D-330E-4932-96C6-F9A1ADF74EE8.jpg

This thing is nice but I wouldn't buy one I don't think. It looks more like an Accord Coupe than anything. The Accord Coupe and CL have always had different proportions than the Prelude, clearly more front-drive and less sports coupey.

Honda-Accord_Coupe-1988-1280-04.jpg

I think the Integra is relatively faithful to the nameplate - even if people tend to forget the sedan existed - but this thing as a Prelude is a bit off. I support bringing back legendary names but several companies have basically forgotten what the essence of their nameplates were.

Last edited:
i find this cute looking for some reason but not especially pretty. cute designs are rare these days even in small cars

Last edited:
Good news!

According to Honda's PR people, the Prelude Concept is actually a hybrid rather than a BEV

It's actually hilarious, I've seen almost all news articles adding this update after Honda PR had to message them all to clarify that it's a hybrid. Would be nice if they had specifically said that in their original press releases

So probably the same drivetrain as the Accord/CR-V Hybrid. It's fantastic for those cars with effortless sub-40mph torque, but it's not exactly sporty/exciting. The available power is definitely lacking above 60mph. Maybe if the Prelude is in the 3200lb or less range it could be sporty feeling?

It's fine. Objectively it's a sleek, nice looking car. But in terms of Preludes, this thing looks too cab-forward and obviously front-wheel drive to be a Prelude. The older cars had more classic coupe proportions which actually confused quite a few people into thinking they were rear-drive.

View attachment 1298032

2B9E939D-330E-4932-96C6-F9A1ADF74EE8.jpg

This thing is nice but I wouldn't buy one I don't think. It looks more like an Accord Coupe than anything. The Accord Coupe and CL have always had different proportions than the Prelude, clearly more front-drive and less sports coupey.

View attachment 1298033

I think the Integra is relatively faithful to the nameplate - even if people tend to forget the sedan existed - but this thing as a Prelude is a bit off. I support bringing back legendary names but several companies have basically forgotten what the essence of their nameplates were.
The funny thing is they went through all the troubles to create a fake RWD look on the TLX resulting a very tiny rear seat room, and the ZDX and Prologue have that classic rear drive look thanks to the GM provided EV platforms.

IMG_0036.png

1998_dodge_intrepid_sedan_es_s_oem_1_815x543.jpg

IMG_0037.png

Honestly I hate it. It’s somehow even more cab-forward than both a mid-engined car and a car that was marketed specifically for its cab-forward design.

Edit: holy cow I just realized the actual hideously ugly car this thing is modeled after. It even has the same side windows.

IMG_6404.jpeg

Last edited:
Back