Honda Prelude (H22) info needed!

  • Thread starter Thread starter eliseracer
  • 17 comments
  • 1,885 views
Messages
1,578
I am looking for anyone who can answer me the following question. It has to do with the Prelude's H22 (I-4 2.2L) motor/transmission.

If I'm driving down the highway in that car, doing 5,500rpm in fourth gear, what is my speed (about)?

I'll give a pie to whoever helps me out here... Thanks. 👍
 
What year? Manual/Auto?

I still wouldn't be able to help you, but that would be important info :)
 
Okay, here's the deal.

It is a 2000 Honda Prelude i-4 2.2L, manual, 5 speed, 4th gear at 5,500rpm.

This guy I know said he got it go very fast, a little too fast to be true, IMO. I just wanted to see what the ACTUAL numbers are. Thanks.
 
I've had a 2000 Prelude until recently, and honestly, I never noticed that... :odd:
 
Nooooooooooo!!! You have no idea?!?! You're my only hope! Try to remember. Please?

Hahaha thanks though.
 
I have a 1992 Prelude with the 2.2. But, I'm not going to test that for you. I like my license and cheap insurance. I can tell you I've been going 45 in 2nd gear at 5500 if that gives you an idea. :)
 
http://www.car-stats.com/stats/showstats/showstatsgivenid.aspx

Car-Stats says that the Prelude can reach 120 mph (and I would guess that it tops out somewhere around there). Manual cars are speed-limited in the top gear, fo a 5spd in 4th can often go faster than in 5th. Say at 5500 rpm, it is going no more than 130, possibly 125?
 
it's not going 130 mph in 4th. trust me. honda's gear ratios might seem kind of wide, but not that wide...
 
I heard that fifth gear on the Prelude (maybe other Hondas as well) is almost specifically reserved for gas mileage?

Thanks for the help. Anyone with an accurate, maybe confirmed answer though?

Thanks again.
 
Generally, all cars' last gear is for highway cruising, therefore, gas milage.
 
5500 w/ governor = about 120.....w/o governer i dunno....about the same...
 
Oooooooh okay. Thanks a lot for the help. It isn't governed.

I'll get baking, what kind of pie do you all like?
 
Why does it matter?
In this country you can only drive (legally) 70-75 MPH, unless you happen to be in Montana, or is it South Dakota?
If you didn't bet money on it, it isn't all that important.
If you did bet money, He's got the burden of Proof.

The H22 powered Prelude is a fairly formidable little car. Cool looking, fast, economical, and harder to find than hen's teeth on the open market.
 
When I am trying to go as fast as I can I have rarely gone into 5th gear. I found out my gear ratios and found out I should shift into 5th when my RPM reaches 6200, even though the redline is 6800. And this is one one of the closest-gear ratio Honda sports cars they made. If you're in 5th gear in an H22, you are really flying...
 
Well all I know is a D15Z's 3rd gear does 115..........and a S4C 's first gear was 42 mph 2nd gear was 70 3rd was 95ish 4th was 120 and 5th i don't know.................that's on 15inch rims with standard size tires....
So i'm ASSUMING a prelude has longer gears......sooo....
 
Okay, here's the deal.

1990 Accord 4 door. 16 inch wheels, Michelin Pilot HX tires. That same Prelude motor, transmission, brakes, seats and some of the same suspension components.

Now what's the speed? Around the same? Presuming under a "controlled environment". Not MY car, I wasn't driving.
 
gearing and tire size make a difference.

but considering that my 76 BMW 2002 can do over a hundred in fourth and it only has 100hp but has the aerodynamics of a brick, i say you can easily do 120 in that same scenario with a recent prelude. most top gears in 5 speeds are overdrives, merely there to reduce fuel consumption and revs at cruising speed.

whatever the top speed of the car is, it is probably attainable in fourth.
 
Back