Horizon 3 Car count speculation.

• Thread starter SimTourist
  • 24 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
MHFanatik
I've speculated on FM6's car and track counts last year and was pretty much on point. This time let's try to realistically estimate how many cars Horizon 3 will have at launch. Forza 6 currently has 524 cars, Horizon 2 has 330. Obviously Playground can't include any race cars in their game, so overall car count will be lower than Forza 6 at least at the launch, but because both franchises now feature night/rain it's easier for devs to share car assets between games. I'd say a realistic target would be 460 cars like Forza 6 had at launch, including all the road cars that have been added through DLC in FM6, but obviously excluding race cars. That would be a respectable increase of 260 new models compared to stock Horizon 2 which had 200 cars at launch. Plenty of variety and fun cars to drive for everyone.

The idea of 460 cars right off the bat in an open world game is drool-worthy.

I'm going to be a little more pessimistic though. Somewhere between 350-380 before launch. I'm not counting the Team Forza cars, and I get this strange feeling that Horizon always has to hold back for some reason. While I'd love for every single road car to show up in FH3 - there's no lack-of-disc-space excuse these days - I doubt it'll happen.

I'd love for some of the formula cars to be available as prizes for winning championships. H2 would've been really fun in an open wheel racer.

Is Forza horizon 3 confirmed for 2016? I've seen several Xbox exclusive lists for this year and it's not on any of them, but all the lists do say "so far".

My geuss is that most of the road cars in Forza 6 will make it into FH3. I also think that some of the big super/hyper cars that are coming out in 2016/2017 will likely be included as well.

Horizon typically hasn't been announced until closer to E3.

I stumbled across some speculation that Forza could be moving to a three year dev cycle (good), and slotting another spinoff into the "off" year (bad). It's mostly based off a comment from Greenawalt. While it'd be nice to see some extra time put into each successive Motorsport and Horizon title, I'm not sure I'd like to see another game spun off the series, as I already think franchise fatigue affects it.

Playground is back at work on a title, so it's a safe assumption FH3 is that.

I've speculated on FM6's car and track counts last year and was pretty much on point. This time let's try to realistically estimate how many cars Horizon 3 will have at launch. Forza 6 currently has 524 cars, Horizon 2 has 330. Obviously Playground can't include any race cars in their game, so overall car count will be lower than Forza 6 at least at the launch, but because both franchises now feature night/rain it's easier for devs to share car assets between games. I'd say a realistic target would be 460 cars like Forza 6 had at launch, including all the road cars that have been added through DLC in FM6, but obviously excluding race cars. That would be a respectable increase of 260 new models compared to stock Horizon 2 which had 200 cars at launch. Plenty of variety and fun cars to drive for everyone.
400-450 in FH3 sounds about right. I still need to finish FH2 and Storm Island. Not to mention I still have a long way to go in F6. So I really am not ready for another Forza game yet at all.

As much as I love FH2 and F6, it would be nice to see this series pushed to a 3 year cycle instead of 2.

Horizon typically hasn't been announced until closer to E3.

I stumbled across some speculation that Forza could be moving to a three year dev cycle (good), and slotting another spinoff into the "off" year (bad). It's mostly based off a comment from Greenawalt. While it'd be nice to see some extra time put into each successive Motorsport and Horizon title, I'm not sure I'd like to see another game spun off the series, as I already think franchise fatigue affects it.

Playground is back at work on a title, so it's a safe assumption FH3 is that.

This made me hope for Forza Motorbikes all over again. With T10's eclectic approach to vehicles, we'd be certain to see the best line-up of bikes ever and the livery editor would provide so many opportunities for recreating model variants off of the single model.

I'm more interested in the location this time. Basing off 1 & 2, we can already expect just what cars themselves are likely to make it.

I'm more interested in the location this time. Basing off 1 & 2, we can already expect just what cars themselves are likely to make it.
Me too. I'm hopeful it'll be Japan next. It should have Tokyo, windy roads located in areas like Mt. Akita together with a village, and even its highways to do some wangan. Oooo just thinking about it is getting excited! Fingers crossed. :D

If FH3 turns out to be "Horizon Asia" then I hope it takes place in Japan with the centre stage being in Tokyo alongside winding mountain roads. Perhaps PG can introduce touge and/or drift battles as a new game modes?

As for car count, I'm expecting somewhere in the region of 380-400 for the vanilla release.

Me too. I'm hopeful it'll be Japan next. It should have Tokyo, windy roads located in areas like Mt. Akita together with a village, and even its highways to do some wangan. Oooo just thinking about it is getting excited! Fingers crossed. :D

I'm hoping for a Japanese Horizon this time too, but I'm thinking they might go for Australia because of all the Australian cars they have been adding as DLC in Forza 6. But then again, they've added a few Japanese road cars too, but that's not so out of character, because people always go nuts for Japanese cars.

After the first two locales, I believe it was mentioned PG were really keen on Australia and California in their pecking order of possible locations.

I'm watching for a fleshed out selection of Japanese classics, more tight curves and engaging backroads with proper mountain passes (Japan would be perfect, but not necessary), and fewer opportunities to cut offroad for the sake of the risk-and-reward that made FH1 so compelling. The "casual-o-meter" needle needs to swing back toward the hardcore side a bit.

I'm I the only one here who like Forza's 2 year dev cycle?

As someone who primarily plays racing games, I like the 2 year cycle but Forza Motorsport risks becoming a more niche title with declining sales if Turn 10 can't implement changes big enough to attract casual gamers. Having a 3 year cycle would allow future Motorsport games to have significantly more features than its predecessor when it is released, which should help with sales.

while I am all-in for a horizon 3, maybe t10/playground will surprise us by sneaking in a 3rd autosport title.
I am very happy with these studios pumping out one major title per year. they are my favorites to be exact.
so as long as I get my yearly quality product from them, I am open to all possibilities.

oh, about no. of cars.. I really dont care :)

while I am all-in for a horizon 3, maybe t10/playground will surprise us by sneaking in a 3rd autosport title.
I am very happy with these studios pumping out one major title per year. they are my favorites to be exact.
so as long as I get my yearly quality product from them, I am open to all possibilities.

oh, about no. of cars.. I really dont care :)
What studio could develop a 3rd forza title? Ain't no studio that I can think of. T10/PG have their hands full with FM6/H3.

Meanwhile in 2012: "What studio could develop a 2nd Forza title? Ain't no studio that I can think of. T10 have their hands full with FM4."
I think the rumors of PG forming started in 2011 or so, and we knew they were working with MS. Plus open world is a radically different concept compared to a track racer. What else could you come up with that wouldn't eat into either and employ their wide range of vehicles?

I think the rumors of PG forming started in 2011 or so, and we knew they were working with MS. Plus open world is a radically different concept compared to a track racer. What else could you come up with that wouldn't eat into either and employ their wide range of vehicles?
It's nonsense to declare that no one but T10 or PG would be worthy to take the reins of an additional Forza title because PG is only a part of the Forza brand after having been granted such an opportunity.

My point had nothing to do with coming up with a third theme, but since you asked, Horizon's all-in-one take on street racing, celebrating car culture, rally racing, and offroading is terribly superficial and spreads itself thin. All that would need to be done is to nudge FH3 in one or two of those directions to make room for a third game. Like so:

Forza Horizon = Scenic drives along open roads in the countryside
Forza Summit = Winding hillclimbs and rugged offroading in the mountains
Forza Neon = Urban midnight racing in an "underground" street culture
Forza Endurance = Cross country rallying with vehicles modded Baja or Dakar style

Back