Horizon Rally VS Dirt 3

• Thread starter BaylorRae
  • 12 comments
So now that the Rally pack has been out for a while, how do you think it compares to a "real" rally game?

GameStop has the complete edition of Dirt 3 for $29, which isn't much more than the rally pack. I love the physics in FH and wondered how comparable Dirt 3 is. I realize FH has an "arcadish" feel, but I wouldn't call it an arcade racer. Is Dirt 3 an arcade racer or is it closer to a simulator?

Which one do you think has better stages? Watching gameplays leads me to believe Dirt 3 because the roads are tight with a good variation of dirt/pavement. The roads in the Rally pack seem to be really wide or really narrow. Does the difficulty level determine the road width?

IIRC they said the Rally expansion could be considered its own game. I know Dirt 3 includes multiple other racing events that FH Rally doesn't, but Dirt 3 doesn't include free roam and I would have to walk across the room to change the disk :lol:

I would say Dirt 3 will give you more playtime due to it being a stand alone game though Horizon as a whole including Rally is a much better experience IMO so it really depends on if street cars and racing mixed with Rally is worth it or strictly Rally?

Also, not sure if this applies to you/others but I cannot play Dirt with my Fanatec wheel, not sure but it just feels too touchy, but with a controller it is fine.

D3 is by no means a rally sim or a "realistic rally game". It is however, miles ahead of FH in terms of quality, entertainment and shelf life.

My 2.

I don't like them much but those gymkhana levels really put Dirt 3 ahead of FH in terms of being a complete game. FH may provide a tougher challenge and the driving feel maybe better than in Ego engine games like D3 but ultimately it's just a series of point to points so I think it probably will have less replay value than the Codemasters game.

Well, comparing a full game to a DLC pack is kinda unfair, right? :lol: If you've got FH already and it's just Dirt vs. Rally Pack, go with Dirt. If it's FH + Rally Pack vs. Dirt, I'd get FH. It's a great game (my only peeve with it is the DLC, it's arguably the best open world driving you can get in games) and you'd be able to get a lot out of it.

• Graphics = Dirt 3. Dirt 3's headlight illumination is stunning, and there's more roadside detail, as well as weather effects, etc. However, Horizon has better car models and prettier scenery.
  • Audio = Tie. Neither has exceptional details, and both pester you to death with one-dimensional, boorish characters.
  • Cars = Horizon, easily.
  • Stages = Tie. Dirt 3 has different conditions (snow, wet, sand, etc.) but the rally routes frequently overlap and repeat themselves. Horizon has more to offer, especially if you include the original map, but it's more homogeneous. Both games have wide gravel freeways, and some narrower sections.
  • Co-Driver = Dirt 3. My co-driver in Horizon has been pretty unreliable so far. He can't even keep "left" and "right" straight.
  • Physics = Horizon. I think Dirt 3 is rather fun, and satisfyingly loose for an "arcadey" title, but it's still twitchy and unrealistic, and all cars pretty much drive the same.
  • Tuning = Horizon. Even without fine-tuning, Horizon has a world of depth in upgrades/tuning compared to Dirt 3, which only allows a few adjustments on a simple bar scale.
Based only on what the Horizon Rally mode offers, it's a close call. That's a compliment to PG; even the "Complete" edition of Dirt 3 is rather lean on content. When you consider Horizon's total package, it's a flat-out superior game. Unless you're anxious to drive in the snow or rain, you could probably pass on D3.

• Graphics = Dirt 3. Dirt 3's headlight illumination is stunning, and there's more roadside detail, as well as weather effects, etc. However, Horizon has better car models and prettier scenery.
  • Audio = Tie. Neither has exceptional details, and both pester you to death with one-dimensional, boorish characters.
  • Cars = Horizon, easily.
  • Stages = Tie. Dirt 3 has different conditions (snow, wet, sand, etc.) but the rally routes frequently overlap and repeat themselves. Horizon has more to offer, especially if you include the original map, but it's more homogeneous. Both games have wide gravel freeways, and some narrower sections.
  • Co-Driver = Dirt 3. My co-driver in Horizon has been pretty unreliable so far. He can't even keep "left" and "right" straight.
  • Physics = Horizon. I think Dirt 3 is rather fun, and satisfyingly loose for an "arcadey" title, but it's still twitchy and unrealistic, and all cars pretty much drive the same.
  • Tuning = Horizon. Even without fine-tuning, Horizon has a world of depth in upgrades/tuning compared to Dirt 3, which only allows a few adjustments on a simple bar scale.
Based only on what the Horizon Rally mode offers, it's a close call. That's a compliment to PG; even the "Complete" edition of Dirt 3 is rather lean on content. When you consider Horizon's total package, it's a flat-out superior game. Unless you're anxious to drive in the snow or rain, you could probably pass on D3.

Hey wait a sec!

Tuning in Horizon? What you on sonny?! *eyeballs with one eye shut*

Dirt 3 has tuning, very basic though. Horizon has none. Just upgrades.

??

By "tuning" in Horizon I mean selecting parts, which is still way deeper than Dirt 3's basic options.

DiRT 3 is an entire game Rally is just an expansion... Not a fair comparison. That being said I pick Horizon in Quality over quantity. If Horizon rally were made into an entire game it would blow D3 out of the water. But its DLC so the platythrough time is expectedly short.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn't expect so many replies.

I ended up going with Dirt 3 because I figured it would be easier to return a game then MS points. However, I'm enjoying the game so far, so I think I'll hold off on FH Rally and maybe get the season pass if I like the upcoming DLC.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on both games.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I didn't expect so many replies.

I ended up going with Dirt 3 because I figured it would be easier to return a game then MS points. However, I'm enjoying the game so far, so I think I'll hold off on FH Rally and maybe get the season pass if I like the upcoming DLC.

Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on both games.

Hmm interesting choice considering the massive price difference but either way when you get there I'd say Horizon Rally is easily worth it.

Back