Horizontal or vertical mount GPU?

• Thread starter Flaren89
  • 3 comments
Italy
Italy
Flaren89
Hi guys. I'm going to make a new PC in the next months. Parts are (also for reference with question):

- Case: Cooler Master Mastercase H500P Mesh
- MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z370E
- CPU: Intel i5 8600k
- Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports One
- RAM: 2x HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 2666MHz
- GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070
- Storage: SSD Samsung 860 Evo 250GB + HDD Western Digital Blue 1TB
- PSU: EVGA G3 650W
- Drive: ASUS external DVD writer/reader (no 5.25" drives in the case)
- Optional (question): Cooler Master Vertical Graphic Holder

So about the question: Do you think I will have problems with the vertical mount over the classic Horizontal one? I know Vertical mount give higher temperatures, which if they get too high will negatively affect performances. I did researches and looked into reviews, also of my own parts, and came up with:

Here we got a review of my case and looking into GPU temps, the horizontal has 52°C, while vertical mount 64°C;

This guy noticed a throttling with its configuration on vertical mounting, around 5% loss in performance. But I also noticed that his vertical mount mightbe closer to the side panel compared to what I would got with my case, plus the CM bracket for vertical mount I gonna get puts GPU closer to MOBO, further from side panel, so maybe I can have slighty better airflow compared to him;

Test with 1070 vertical mount. Although this video is a test of it own build, I looked into it as it has my video card vertical mounted, and FPS looks good enough for me.

So, ups and downs, but one thing worth considering: 1 and 2 use a 1080 which is known to heat higher than the 1070 (even if by just few degrees). Also n2 uses an EVGA, which is usually hotter than ASUS, and so might be the MSI Gaming X of n1.
Also, I'm not pointing on uber graphics, or pushing 100% GPU all the time for 200fps. I just want a solid 1080p 60fps gaming with good graphic. Maybe in my case a 1060 would have been enough, but going for 1070 because of more future-proof.

Soooo, what are your consideration? Is it a worth try to have a fancy lightness to show from the case, or should I completely pass and ignore it?

I'm running a 1060 6GB paired with an i5 6400 and I'm yet to come across a game that won't run at 1080p 60fps on high settings so don't feel the need to go any higher myself but it's always good to future proof I guess.

Is there a particular reason why you want to mount the GPU vertically? It looks a little too close to the side of the case for my liking

I'm running a 1060 6GB paired with an i5 6400 and I'm yet to come across a game that won't run at 1080p 60fps on high settings so don't feel the need to go any higher myself but it's always good to future proof I guess.

Is there a particular reason why you want to mount the GPU vertically? It looks a little too close to the side of the case for my liking
Ye, as said 1060 was enough, but better be sure. I come from a GTX 660 with i5 3340, want to make a big step up.

About vertical mount is just by aesthetics. Because GPU would have RGB and mounted horizontally would push the light on the bottom, where PSU case is. Not as fancy...

Not sure what you have for a budget, but if heat is a consideration then you could get a 1080 and a water cooler block for it. That would certainly add to the aesthetic as well.
Some considerations, are you going to mount the card up towards the CPU or down towards the PCi slots? What accessories, especially having the card closer, are you covering on the mobo? Will it interfere with say, a heatsink? Are you using a riser card or a ribbon? How do you plan on mounting the card to the case? How, where and with what will you need to modify the case?

Back