Hostage Situation at Discovery Channel Headquarters

• Thread starter buickgnx88
  • 23 comments

buickgnx88

That Guy Over There
Premium
United States
Anoka, MN
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/0...ge-situation-man-gun-enters-building/#content

DEVELOPING: Police in Maryland are responding to a hostage situation after reports that a man with a handgun entered the Discovery Channel headquarters building in Silver Spring and fired at least one shot.

An official with the Montgomery County Police Department confirmed to Fox News that a man with an explosive device is holding at least one person hostage in the lobby of the building.

A Discovery employee reportedly told WJLA-TV that the building, located in suburban Washington, D.C., was on lockdown. The employee also said she thought she had heard five or six gunshots.

Dan Friz, a spokesman with the Montgomery County Police Department, reportedly told the station that a tactical team is trying to communicate with the gunman.

Friz said police were initially dispatched to the building after a report of shots fired at approximately 1 p.m.

The suspect, identified by police as an Asian male, has "some sort of device on him that may be explosive in nature," Friz told the station.

Some witnesses reported that the man fired a shot before declaring, "Nobody is going anywhere," according to police.

Authorities have so far not confirmed how many shots were fired. Employees at the building were told to take cover in locked offices, according to local press accounts.

Children at a day care center located inside the Discovery Building were reportedly safely evacuated to a nearby McDonald's restaurant.

Discovery Communications LLC operates cable and satellite networks in the U.S. including The Discovery Channel, TLC and Animal Planet.

Some people believe that the gunman is a member of a group who wants to save the planet by stopping breeding.
www.savetheplanetprotest.com

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

Watching it on CNN right now.

Edit: The reporters are asking extremely stupid questions right now.

I'm watching CNN too.

I also flipped to Discovery Channel, they're still showing programming. Must be automated. It would be interesting if he puts himself on air to spread his message.

News
Children at a day care center located inside the Discovery Building were reportedly safely evacuated to a nearby McDonald's restaurant.

Something tells me their health and well-being is far more jeopardized there. :nervous:

They supposedly shot him, all hostages are safe though.

I can tell that guy wants to just facepalm, these reporters are idiots.

Washington Post
In March 2008, a judge told Lee that he could face up to two months in jail if he went within 500 feet of the property after he was charged with disorderly conduct for throwing thousands of dollars in the air at a rally outside, according to a report in the Gazette newspaper at that time.

Wednesday, as police tried to get the situation under control, details of Lee were emerging. His MySpace page shows a 43-year-old who wanted to meet "environmentalists, scientists, readers of Daniel Quinn, and people who want to work toward a real change."

Federal officials confirmed that Lee is the creator of this http://SavethePlanetProtest.com, which detail his complaints against Discovery. Among them was this one that seems to be aimed at the overpopulation of the planet: "All programs on Discovery Health-TLC must stop encouraging the birth of any more parasitic human infants and the false heroics behind those actions. In those programs' places, programs encouraging human sterilization and infertility must be pushed. All former pro-birth programs must now push in the direction of stopping human birth, not encouraging it."

In the 2008 incident, Lee threw the money into the air as part of a multi-day protest against the Silver Spring-based company's programming, which he believed had little to do with saving the planet, according to the Gazette. His crusade, he told the paper, began after losing his job in San Diego, reading "Ishmael," a novel by Daniel Quinn and watching Al Gore's documentary "An Inconvenient Truth."

''I was a man working alone, so obviously I didn't do too well," he said at the time. "After this, I'll stay here for a while, make a few more moves."
A man after his own kind...wow...
Edit: After reading some google posts:
******pat***
The Discovery Channel gunman has been shot and apprehended, and the hostages are safe. The Internet will now begin producing memes.

Hopefully we get to blame Al Gore for this one.

Hopefully they shot him in the balls, so he can do his bit to prevent the birth of any more parasitic human infants.

Every little helps.

Hopefully they shot him in the balls, so he can do his bit to prevent the birth of any more parasitic human infants.

Every little helps.
Apparently, they decided to just knock a number off the population by 1.

I just got to read his little website thing(it was down due to server load earlier) and it gave me a good laugh. I think he was really expecting Discovery Channel to solve all the worlds problems(Which of course are 100% mans fault and not the result of other animals in the slightest). I also like how he talks about how they "have" to stop shows talking about weapons, yet goes into their building with a handgun and a bomb strapped to him.

Anyway, rumor is that they have turned this into an opportunity and "Crime Scene Cleaner" will be featured on a special "Dirty Jobs".:lol::sly:

Explain to me why an environmentalist would go into Discovery Channel HQ and hold people hostage?

I wouldn't call him a common or ordinary environmentalist. He was acting in the name of some ultra-extreme fear that human population growth must be immediately stopped and reversed in order to preserve the planetary ecology. Not even Paul Erhlich (The Population Bomb) or the Club of Rome carries their overpopulation worries to the extreme level of this highly disturbed individual. You'll know population is too high when Colorado, Nevada, Arizona and California go to war over water rights.

But still, The Discovery Channel?

The Discovery Channel is commonly described as the semi-official organ of widely accepted doctrine on science and environmental affairs, yes? Kind of like the McDonald's or Walmart, or lowest common denominator of received wisdom. If you could hold that hostage for even a few minutes, as that madman did, then you could conceivably get a lot of attention. But only symbolically, as only a few people actually watch any one cable channel. That's a guess.

Explain to me why an environmentalist would go into Discovery Channel HQ and hold people hostage?
The article from The Washington Post described it. The guy believed that humanity is a stain on the face of the earth and that we should be taking measures to prevent this. There's actually a movement caled the Voluntary Human Extinction program, where people choose not to procreate so that humankind cannot harm the earth anymore. This guy just took it a step further - he wanted Discovery to end all their programs related to fertility and instead replace them with broadcasts that preached his ideals of stopping human birth.

He is possibly the craziest person I have heard of in a long time.

How the effing bleep does blowing something up prevent global warming in any way?

The Discovery Channel is commonly described as the semi-official organ of widely accepted doctrine on science and environmental affairs, yes? Kind of like the McDonald's or Walmart, or lowest common denominator of received wisdom. If you could hold that hostage for even a few minutes, as that madman did, then you could conceivably get a lot of attention. But only symbolically, as only a few people actually watch any one cable channel. That's a guess.

The McDonald's of Science... light on content, heavy on the explosions... wait... isn't that Michael Bay? :lol: Still... nice analogy.

The article from The Washington Post described it. The guy believed that humanity is a stain on the face of the earth and that we should be taking measures to prevent this. There's actually a movement caled the Voluntary Human Extinction program, where people choose not to procreate so that humankind cannot harm the earth anymore. This guy just took it a step further - he wanted Discovery to end all their programs related to fertility and instead replace them with broadcasts that preached his ideals of stopping human birth.

He is possibly the craziest person I have heard of in a long time.

Well... if you actually want to minimize man's footprint on the environment, human extinction is the surest way to go...

While I completely disagree with this man's politics, philosophy, and methods I have to agree with him about one thing: They should really quit making those shows.

At a minimum, quit showing marathons of Broken Marriage Plus 5 Billion and Counting Overweight Little People on days when major sports events are on. I hate waking up and finding my wife has already commandeered the TV in the living room for these shows, and that they will be showing until midnight.

But still, The Discovery Channel?

I know, right? Now, if he had blown the Bravo Network and everyone in it to smithereens, he'd have actually been doing the world a huge service.

While I completely disagree with this man's politics, philosophy, and methods I have to agree with him about one thing: They should really quit making those shows.
It is the Discovery channel after all, I don't want to watch reality shows of life with kids twice your height. I want to see more of Bear's grill, I want them to pay Survivorman twice as much to keep making shows, I want more discovery, man, and less dumb stuff.

Maybe they should do a special on the psychiatric disorder I like to call "environmentalism".

Maybe they should do a special on the psychiatric disorder I like to call "environmentalism".

I can see what you're getting at, guys like him certainly put the "mental" in "environmentalism".

The moment they started moving the good shows to their premium service, you just had to know the filler would take over...

Back