Hot lap classic cars

• Thread starter Biggles
  • 24 comments
Simcoeace
I was taking all the classic cars in F1CE out for a spin around Imola last night, when it occurred to me that (as far as I can tell) we haven't ever had a Hot Lap series using the classic cars in F1CE. This would seem like an obvious event, adding a whole new dimension to the game.

Oh yeah,

... don't forget to bring your sunglasses! :cool:

Lotus 49C

Imola:

1'31.001 - 20.866, 33.266, 36.869 - Biggles (Lap 21)
1'32.312 - 21.098, 33.831, 37.383 - Ardius (Lap 6)

Nurburgring:

1'41.409 - 33.017, 43.110, 25.282 - Biggles (Lap 11)
1'41.990 - 32.951, 43.791, 25.248 - Ardius (Lap 10)

Monaco:

1'21.538 - 21.430, 40.421, 19.687 - Ardius (Lap 16)
1'22.518 - 22.028, 40.504, 19.986 - Biggles (Lap 25)

Last edited:
Just for fun, I did a 5 lap session at the Nurburgring with Damon Hill's Williams FW18 and managed a:
1'30.652

Just for fun

What other reason would there be?! ;)

My suggestion would be to limit the TT to a set number of laps - perhaps 30 on each track - less chipping away at a few 10ths here & there - then move on to next track. Because (unlike the 2006 cars) the cars are so different from each other it should provide a very varied experience.

Each car on all the tracks, then move on to the next car on all the tracks would be best IMO. Is anybody interested in this concept?

Hot lap classic cars 👍
great Idea Biggles:).Ive not played this game since gt5p came out.I had to start a new game because my save file was on my (Ylod)ps3..which went at the end of last year,with that said, i only have the four Classic cars they give you at the start.

Honda RA272..1'55.552

Cooper Climax..2'01.412

Lotus 72E..1'45.044

Renault RS01..1'38.902

I done the same as Ardius with the 5lap run,but maybe more laps would be the way to go..

Lap times done on Nurburgring:)

What other reason would there be?! ;)

My suggestion would be to limit the TT to a set number of laps - perhaps 30 on each track - less chipping away at a few 10ths here & there - then move on to next track. Because (unlike the 2006 cars) the cars are so different from each other it should provide a very varied experience.

Each car on all the tracks, then move on to the next car on all the tracks would be best IMO. Is anybody interested in this concept?

Yeah, sounds good to me.

Those things are un-drivable. I doubt much people will try this.

:banghead: You must not play many racing games...

Hot lap classic cars 👍
great Idea Biggles:).Ive not played this game since gt5p came out.I had to start a new game because my save file was on my (Ylod)ps3..which went at the end of last year,with that said, i only have the four Classic cars they give you at the start.

Honda RA272..1'55.552

Cooper Climax..2'01.412

Lotus 72E..1'45.044

Renault RS01..1'38.902

I done the same as Ardius with the 5lap run,but maybe more laps would be the way to go..

Lap times done on Nurburgring:)

Yeah I only did 5 laps because I wanted to get things rolling, I'll put in some serious laps later.

Can I suggest starting with the classic Lotus 49C - love the sound of that engine - vintage, & very different from the modern F1 cars, but still with a bit of down-force to help out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_49

First set of tracks:

Imola
Nurburgring
Monaco
Silverstone
Monza

Then we'll go on to some of the other tracks (or go on to another car, if people prefer to mix it up a bit).

I'm going to say a limit of 25 laps. Obviously, there will be a temptation to run more laps to lower lap times, but in the interests of keeping it interesting & fun, & cutting down the amount of time involved (doing all the cars/tracks should already result in close to 100 hours of driving!), let's impose a 25 lap limit. I really think this will keep the driving more spontaneous & enjoyable & stop it from being an open-ended obsession-fest!

Don't forget to record your best times (+ sector times please) before leaving the Time Trial mode - the game is not going to record it permanently!

Lotus 49C

Imola: 1'31.001 - 20.866, 33.266, 36.869 - Biggles (Lap 21)
Nurburgring: 1'41.409 - 30.017, 43.110, 25.282 - Biggles (Lap 11)

Last edited:
Just for fun, I did a 5 lap session at the Nurburgring with Damon Hill's Williams FW18 and managed a:
1'30.652
Was it the one with Sonic's sneakers? :D

What? I managed a time people are having trouble beating for once? Awesome :D
I'll get down to doing Biggles challenge later today hopefully 👍

Sounds like a great idea, I will try to find the time to do some laps.👍
These cars are tuneable aren't they?

Nope, no tuning. Which makes it pretty interesting when it gets to tracks like San Marino with the Alfa Romeo. :lol:

Yes, I took the Alfa for a few laps around Monaco. The thing is, these cars are not more or less difficult to drive than the 2006 F1 cars - they just require getting used to - & I have to say, that after spending a while driving the Cooper Climax or Lotus 49C, the modern cars seem a bit bland in comparison.

Driving the vintage cars reinforces my impression of the positives & negatives of F1CE. There is just no transition from grip to no grip & little sense of weight transfer (unlike FC, for instance), which makes it very easy to experience sudden spin-out. I always put this down to being the performance characteristics of the modern F1 cars, however, the older cars react in exactly the same way - its very, very difficult to use any "controlled" understeer or oversteer - which I'm sure is not accurate to RL.

However, F1CE does do a great job of modelling the sense of speed & is the only PS3 racing game I've played that communicates (through the FFB) the sense of rattling along at high speed over an uneven road surface (in comparison GT5P seems completely sterile). In addition, the sounds of all the cars in F1CE, & especially the older cars, is absolutely thrilling, so that overall the sense of immersion is first-rate.

It's a sad thing that it's not possible to race the classic cars in F1CE, if it were, I'm sure it would be easily as much fun as racing the modern cars. Anyway, I urge everyone to take a bit of time & give them a try - the first time you drive the 49C through the tunnel at Monaco, I guarantee it will send shivers down your spine & put a big :) on your face. 👍

Ok done San Marino:
Imola: 1'32.312 - 21.098, 33.831, 37.383 - Ardius (Lap 6)

Just a little slower than Biggles, so I'm happy with that, I spent the remaining 19 laps screwing up one section or another trying to get some more speed, the biggest challenge was slowing down and turning on the cambered corners without spinning out. The car can carry some crazy speed though if you get it right, bouncing over chicanes is a real rush when you know how close to spinning out you are.

Well, Ardius, you got that time pretty early on! I actually re-ran another 25 laps (because I enjoyed it so much!) & eventually got a time half a second faster, but in the interests of Truth & Fairness only posted my original time. However, I wouldn't like to admit how many 49Cs I destroyed by running into the wall at one point or another. :crazy:

Yup, it's easy to do one section or another faster, but hard to string them all together. That's why I thought limiting it to 25 laps would keep it fresh.

Nurburgring done:
1'41.990 - 32.951, 43.791, 25.248 - Ardius (Lap 10)

Very close again, eventually I'm going to beat you Biggles :lol: fortunately I think Monaco should suit me, we shall see...

I noticed I must have made a mistake in recording my first Nurburgring split, & changed it to 33.017!

Well, Ardius, you got that time pretty early on! I actually re-ran another 25 laps (because I enjoyed it so much!) & eventually got a time half a second faster, but in the interests of Truth & Fairness only posted my original time. However, I wouldn't like to admit how many 49Cs I destroyed by running into the wall at one point or another.

I was talking about Monaco (I eventually ran a 1'21.937 on Lap 36 of my second go-around).

Last edited:
Finally beat ya :P and even your "illegal" second time, :lol:
I have to confess, I've had a lot of time in all of the classic cars around Monaco, as building up to the race this year I decided to spend a few hours having some fun with them. Though I didn't use this car that much, it translates to all of them, the track doesn't change much from car to car.

1'21.538 - 21.430, 40.421, 19.687 - Ardius (Lap 16)

And I vote for a change of car for the next round of tracks, otherwise it will get boring fairly quickly using the same car - or rather I want to get around to using the Williams, as I love those. :D

Nice run Ardius!

I think Monaco with the older cars is a lot more fun than with the 2006's, as it's more suited to the lower speeds... and the sound of the 49C bouncing off the tunnel & walls of the track just puts a big :) on my face.

Anyone else going to jump in?

I thought we might switch to the Cooper Climax for a few tracks, as I believe that is unlocked at the start of the game.

Yeah, Cooper sounds good, it handles nicely compared to the Alfa. Let me guess, you were going to be evil and make us do Suzuka with it? :P There are a lot of tracks I've not tried yet with the classics, so this should be a good series.

I think the biggest issue with TT, is some tracks have much worse sun-in-your face effects than others.

How about Silverstone, Monza, Suzuka with the Cooper Climax next?

I think the biggest issue with TT, is some tracks have much worse sun-in-your face effects than others.

How about Silverstone, Monza, Suzuka with the Cooper Climax next?

Maybe mix it up a bit more with the tracks, say Magny-Cours, Hockenheim and Istanbul? The sun is kind of a problem, but you get used to it after a bit, I mean you have to, to complete some of the test driving missions and so on!

:
Maybe mix it up a bit more with the tracks, say Magny-Cours, Hockenheim and Istanbul? The sun is kind of a problem, but you get used to it after a bit, I mean you have to, to complete some of the test driving missions and so on!

Fine, if that's what you want to do next. It does seem a bit odd to do the "new" tracks with the vintage cars, but I think eventually we should try & do all the tracks with all the cars. I also think the tighter tracks are more interesting with the older (slower) cars.

OK. Latest entry in the Biggles/Ardius Battle of Champions:

Cooper Climax

Magny Cours:

1'40.596 - 34.014, 35.308, 31.274 - Biggles (Lap 25)

Not too confident about this time being an Ardiusbeater. My last 3 laps were my fastest, so I was still steadily improving my times. The critical corner at Magny is the long right-hander before the straight, with the sun right in your face! :ouch:

Doesn't anyone else want to give this a try? :indiff:

Last edited:
Well, what about it? Chickened-out Ardius? :mischievous:

I don't know why nobody wants to try this: the Lotus 49C is amazing to drive - I'm starting to be able to work with the (very abrupt) oversteer & understeer a bit. Got a Silver medal time at Jerez (which I hadn't run in any other cars yet) - actually one of the better TT tracks with minimal sun glare.

I may have to give this a go. I rarely play my racing sims these days, but I used to enjoy lapping Monaco & Monza in the classics (especially the Lotus 72 & Williams FW18). Hopefully I'll have some times to post up soon. 👍

Been a while since I've checked in around here. I'm still looking forward to racing you guys online more, once GT5 & Codemaster's F1 finally come out.

Back