Hotshot Racing - Launches 10th September

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 22 comments
United Kingdom
Wreckage, Turn 1
PrecisionXCIV
As some of you are aware, Hotshot Racing has been in development for a while but today a release date has been announced and it will be available via Xbox Game Pass on day one! Looking forward to giving this game a shot for some retro, arcade thrills. :)

Drift. Boost. Boom! Hotshot Racing will launch on 10th September!

Hotshot Racing is a blisteringly fast arcade-style racing game from Curve Digital, Lucky Mountain Games and Sumo Nottingham. Fusing drift handling, razor-sharp retro visuals and an incredible sense of speed to create an exhilarating driving experience. Perfect your racing apex at a blistering 60FPS in single-player mode to then challenge your friends and the racing community in 8-player online races and 4-player local split-screen multiplayer modes.

finally a release date! I'll be trying it on game pass first before deciding should I get a copy on Switch.

Bought it, just need to DL it. Currently slight discount on PSN too.

If it’s a good play, then I might pick it up for Switch.

Bought it, just need to DL it. Currently slight discount on PSN too.

If it’s a good play, then I might pick it up for Switch.
The discount that is on PSN right now is the same one the Switch version has during the pre-order window actually, and yeah it feels good to play.

Just tried it last night on game pass, it is fun.

I really enjoy the brake to drift handling here, the AI seems to have pretty strong rubberband effect and it is always close to the player. The tracks is a little too short and I'm worried the 16 tracks won't be enough. Car customisation feels quite limited, all the cars seems to have 2 bumper option, 2 exhaust, 3 blower option, 3 steering wheel option, 3 spoilers and the same set of bobble heads and accessories.

The only thing annoying me at the moment is that I can't seem to pick a side for the cops & robbers game mode.

Also, free DLC is coming (they mention free new tracks is coming as well in a different tweet):

Just played a few races including the first GP and it’s surprisingly fun. It’s not like a RR title where I’ll loose my life to it, but I’ll sink quite a bit of time in, in bitesized chunks.

I have it downloaded and ready to go, but I don't have time to play it. I'm not sure when I'll have some spare time to play this one... :(

Still, super excited. Happy to see that this game is finally released.

I downloaded this via game pass yesterday.

I've played all the races on normal difficulty in championship mode. It's simple fun. I like the drift cars the most.

I downloaded it from Gamepass and started playing. From the visuals I was expecting something similar to Horizon Chase Turbo, but no, it has a completely different feeling and it took me some races to get the hang out of it. I'm liking it although there are some very minor visual glitches here and there.

I've played it enough give all the main game modes and difficulty modes a spin and it is a pretty enjoyable back-to-basics arcade racer. I reckon the game is at its best when played on Hard difficulty as this strikes the best balance between speed and intensity of the AI. I'm not sure it will keep me hooked in the long term since rewards for progression isn't all that great; you only unlock achievements and cosmetics.

The foundation of the game is great and the visuals are extremely crisp on the One X. Curious to see where future updates take this game!

This game seemed to have one real playing style. Run thru and drift to get max boost.

Then boost until your boost is back to full ON THE LAST LAP. Then booooooost to the finish.

I finished the 1st campaign on and off in one night in the 'balanced' middle spec car.

I dont see any reason to run thru the faux difficulty championships or get the race challenges to win spoilers wings paints etc.

I see a lot of arcade games that try to capture that "Sega" spirit but they really all fail.

is just a small patch for minor bugs and increased of all cars top speed, there should be a bigger update coming later this year with 4 more tracks and a new game mode:

I was quite interested in this game, but upon seeing more gameplay footage it looked like the tracks are all more or less akin to "Beginner" or "Intermediate" (at best) tracks in the original coin-op games that inspired this. I skimmed through an extended video of the XBone beta/demo and it all seemed very wide and open without a lot of complexity, possibly a vestige of the weapons-based gameplay.

Normally I would probably still pick it up, but I have had little patience for games that don't scratch the right itch lately so I'm on the fence.

I guess I feel I owe this thread a reply since I had mentioned this game before.

the tracks are definitely too simple but I think it is mostly due to the long and weird development the game has went through. The wide tracks was mostly for the car combat gameplay that was now cancelled and the short tracks (30+ seconds a lap) is probably due to the game was originally planned to be a mobile game years ago. I do hope the the new tracks will be slightly more complex than the current pile.

I quite like the game on Switch, it is fun for short burst of fun and the Switch itself don't really have that many racing game choices most of the time.

I ended up giving this a shot anyway. I should have listened to my gut. :indiff:

The tracks aren't as much of a letdown with the greater top speed of higher difficulties. The handling and AI are the problem. The drifting "locks up" if you make a countersteer adjustment at the wrong time -- not up to Sumo Digital's usual standards in this area -- and the AI are not only over-rubberbanded, they're wild and can PIT certain vehicles into an unrecoverable 90-degree drift.

The original coin-op games this pays homage to play better than this.

I ended up giving this a shot anyway. I should have listened to my gut. :indiff:

The tracks aren't as much of a letdown with the greater top speed of higher difficulties. The handling and AI are the problem. The drifting "locks up" if you make a countersteer adjustment at the wrong time -- not up to Sumo Digital's usual standards in this area -- and the AI are not only over-rubberbanded, they're wild and can PIT certain vehicles into an unrecoverable 90-degree drift.

The original coin-op games this pays homage to play better than this.

Agree. The game is fun for about 10 mins then it becomes dull pretty quick, I think this could have been so much better with some more development & problems ironed out.

I think you guys are being a bit hard on this. It suits the aesthetic of the Switch and *maybe* consoles. Its a fairly fun arcade game you play for 15 mins on the train etc.

I actually did enjoy the 1st campaign where you go thru the entire 'season' of content once. I hope the update fixes some things but I kind of cant be bothered to revisit it.

I feel like this game wont be one you revisit even after a few months. The "hook" isnt worth it.

It is great on Switch for short burst of fun but even on consoles I think the game is just too light on content and lacks depth. I played it daily for about 2 months then I got bored of its tracks and unlocked most of the things that I wanted. I spent most of my time with drive or explode mode, that mode is fun. The AI in the races is too smashy on expert and they seem to forget about their nos when they are at the final stretch to the finish line.

The newly added tracks are much better than the initial 16 tracks in the game at launch, a lot less flat, straight and wide.

Back