This may be obvious to many but I have read many complaints on the quality of online races with idiots driving the wrong way and such. What I did when I first started playing online a couple weeks ago was add as a friend anybody I had a good race with. In 2 short weeks I have found a good group. All I do when I start GT5 is go to the COMMUNIY section, see if they are online racing, click on it and it takes me right to the lobby they are in. Spent 2 or 3 hours racing with about 8 to 12 guys last night. I only added the one about a week ago and he had his friends in there. If somebody is a fair racer he probably hangs out in lobbies or starts his own with other fair racers. You can add those other 8 to 12 guys to your friends list and it grows exponentially.
So for those of you down on online because of bad experience don't give up. There is a whole new game out there online. A lot more fun than offline. Its real people, you can talk crap, have fun, pick out the fastest guy in the group and make it your goal to beat him. Next thing you know you will only be offline to run the American Championship to get some cash to buy cars and upgrades to beat your friends online.
So for those of you down on online because of bad experience don't give up. There is a whole new game out there online. A lot more fun than offline. Its real people, you can talk crap, have fun, pick out the fastest guy in the group and make it your goal to beat him. Next thing you know you will only be offline to run the American Championship to get some cash to buy cars and upgrades to beat your friends online.