How big of a difference are setups making in GTS?

• Thread starter Wildfire
  • 2 comments
Canada
UK
I've recently been racing in the dragon trail Gr.4 weekly race, and messed around with different setups and what not, but honestly, most of my lap times fall within a few tenths of each other, except for if I have a really **** one that is way off.

My best lap in qualifying is a 1:50.2 with the GTR, but I've seen guys that are going into the race with 1:49.0s and some guy hada 1:47.9 the other day which is just insane.

But whats giving these guys the speed? is it the benefit of the wheel at that "upper echelon" level? is it setups/tuning? Is it the fact they're using manual over auto, or traction off over low traction?

I haven't seen anyone taking any particular radical lines in the races, most of the times the guys disappear coming out of the corners which leads me to believe it's either gearing ratios, or manual gears/no traction , meaning likely a wheel user because they can manage no traction a lot easier.

But basically a combination of those things.

Anyway, how effective have you guys found a good setup to be? it doesn't feel to me as though setups are as game changing as they were inthe F1 games for instance.

I've used tuning for drivability (sp?). I've done tunes that allowed me to set a fast lap but not consistent over long lap runs. For a basic example, setting low down force can give you better speed in the straights, but makes things problematic in the corners. I would rather have better grip in the corners than out right speed on the straights. While I can set a faster time with lower down force, it makes it harder to push in the twisty bits. Some people are good at driving around the low grip conditions in the corners, others (like me) are not.

Manual wins over auto every time. Some corners require a short shift, can't do that with auto transmission. Plus you can stay in the revs (power) longer.

While traction control can help a heavy footed driver, the less you can use the better. I vary my TC setting between 1&2 because I sometimes get heavy footed when fighting for position. The smoother you are on the gas, the faster you go. Take the final chicane at Suzuka full and experiment. Hit your line on the exit and smash the gas. Next time around hit the line on exit and slowly roll the power on. You will be faster slow rolling the power than a full on pedal smash.

well at least you should loose the TC assist, it really slows you down.

but a hard number to gain with set ups is hard to say, but you for sure can see difference in times if you have a good setup.
I`ve started with the gtr standard tuning, with an 1.49,4, and with a little tuning its become 1,48 2. for sure its worth spending some time messing around with the settings. if you keep racing youre ghost you can see it is easily faster on some parts of the track, and sure some part of the improvement is just the feel for the car and track.
but in mine opinion if you don't set up the car for the track, you wont ever be the best.

Back