How can gt5 online be improved?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ozmondo
  • 24 comments
  • 3,043 views
Messages
26
Messages
Ozmondo
Since I'm partial to the online side of this game, i thought it might be worth putting a thread together that highlighhts some of the games short comings in that area.

Here are my top 5

1. Rewards for online racing
2. Easier to find friends in games
3. Ability to invite friends to join games
4. Count laps done in car online

I may have missed an existing thread on here but just trying to get involved on the forum and this stuff bugs me
 
Agree with your top, er, 4 (?) :)

I too would like to see experience and credits for online races and better friend-finding features. Right now it's too cumbersome to get people together.

My main requests would be:

- password protect on servers so community races can be set up without having to deal with managing PSN friends list
- more server filter options (min / max power, min / max weight, number of laps, mechanical damage setting, etc.)
- means to search for a server by partial or full name (i.e. can search for 'GTP' which would find all servers with 'GTP' in its name)
- means to search for the PSN ID of player to find out which server they are on, which I could then choose to join
- means to see car, track and race restrictions from server list (without needing to join the server)
- re-introduce PP system from GT5:Prologue
- ability to set car restrictions by manufacturer, power-to-weight ratio, whether stock or tuned, age of car or drive train
- ability for users to define custom car restriction groups (and save them). i.e. I could create a group called 'Muscle Cars' and choose some cars to add to the group. I could select from my saved car restriction groups in the future when setting up the server or when changing the settings in server lobby.
 
Last edited:
-All cars unlocked

-Performance Points

-Room titles that are longer and can be changed

-Car classes (road car, ALMS GT1, F1, etc) as part of the rules

-Specific part tuning limitations (sports muffler, race muffler, etc)

-Realistic damage

-Qualification and series race options (may or may not have all races on one day)
 
License test can detect track cutting and DSQ you... I see no reason why this can't be enabled for online.

You know what? The damn book that comes with GT5 (Prima Essential Track Guideeven ENCOURAGES (or at least mentions the cheat) you to learn lines that flagrantly cut chicanes and drive across grass sections:crazy:👎

My God! What is online going to turn into if people are actually following this book!
 
I agree, PD fell well short with the options. Many of the above cannot be too hard to implement. I'm not sure I want to see the PP system back, it wasn't perfectly balanced and now with more cars available, it can only be harder to balance.
 
I would like to see preset spec lobbies like in prologue. I have entered many mislabeled lobbies and it is frustrating cause sometimes it takes a few minutes to actually join a room just to find out that even though it says 500hp max, it's actually set to 493. Needless to say my 500hp even car wont work. :yuck:
 
I just wish the friends online would work worth a crap. It's so frustrating to SEE your friends on your XMB and know that they're playing GT5, but then when you go to the community tab on GT5 they don't have a green dot showing they are on. I've had to sign off and on so many times and restart my PS3 trying to get this to work right. It's annoying to know that your buddy is racing online buy you can't join him because as far as your copy of GT5 is concerned he's not even playing the game.
 
how about the ability to use custom tracks on My Lounge (A feature that was stated in the manual?) and in Online Rooms?
 
I agree that GT5 has fallen pretty flat with its online capabilities. I was playing Black Ops with a friend the other day, and to set the record straight; I do not like first-person shooters (and I understand that Black Ops isn't a great first-person shooter), but its online mode was much more immersing. The options you all have mentioned above really ought to be included in updates of the game. Leaderboards, the ability to invite friends to rooms, additional ways to allow restrictions on cars, etc. I was online last night (in GT5) and the interface is really confusing, especially if you're trying to look for a quality race or even a race that one can enter. I spent the entire time going into and then quitting out of specific game rooms because the races had already been started (I'm not going to sit in a room and watch). There is no way to tell if a race has been started or not when you're going through the unorganized list of rooms. Sorry for ranting, I love GT5, but I would have expected its online mode to have been implemented with features that are typical in an online gaming environment.
 
I agree, PD fell well short with the options. Many of the above cannot be too hard to implement. I'm not sure I want to see the PP system back, it wasn't perfectly balanced and now with more cars available, it can only be harder to balance.

The PP system could be optional and would help to balance out games more than what is in place right now.
 
Agreed with all of the above.
The online experience is quite weak compared with CoD, or even, for example, Heroes over Europe. I can't believe they didn't at least look at some of these other games to find out what makes online gaming compelling.
 
There is no way to tell if a race has been started or not when you're going through the unorganized list of rooms. Sorry for ranting, I love GT5, but I would have expected its online mode to have been implemented with features that are typical in an online gaming environment.

actually there is, there's a little green circle on the left side of each room in the lobby list, if it's green they're racing, if it's grey they're in the lobby or in free-run, that's why you'll see most drift rooms without the little green light on
 
Heres some options that should be there.

1: Drop-down (named Tuning) with the options: Factory Stock, Suspension only, All.
2: Engine Position and Wheel Drive drop downs (because i would like to race M4 only races)
3: Make restriction (like Subaru, Mitsubishi), Model Series restriction (like Subaru Legacy, Subaru Impreza)
4: Engine displacement restrictions, Cylinder arrangement, cylinder count restrictions
5: Car type option (street, super, hyper, RM, LMP, GT, F1, NASCAR, Rally, etcetera)
6: Min/Max Weight Restriction
7: End-of-race timer adjustment. I want to be able to change it from 20 seconds.

There might be some more helpful ones.
 
Here are my suggestions to make GT5's online a lot better!

- Earning Credits for online races.

- Having a "Quick Race" function so you can just jump into a quick easy race instead of looking through the lobbies

- Offer some more game types instead of just racing. Maybe a nice game of Cat and Mouse or Car Soccer :)

- Having a Private Lobby so only the people you invite can join.

- Being to fully customize online races by allowing which cars can join, certain tuning, etc.
 
Car Soccer.. OMG, YES!

Shift has a lot of problems, but getting a quick race online is never a problem. Set Min# racers, rough power/weight Tier (still plenty of room for tuning and customization or choose Stock Factory tune), set track and rough # of laps, and away you go!

All GT5 would have to add is the filters for contact and track cutting penalties (my biggest beef with Shift) and you would have easy instant gratification racing.

No credits if damage is not enabled, payouts for top 20-25% of racers if it is on.

How hard would THAT be?:rolleyes:
 
Here are my suggestions to make GT5's online a lot better!

- Earning Credits for online races.

- Having a "Quick Race" function so you can just jump into a quick easy race instead of looking through the lobbies

- Offer some more game types instead of just racing. Maybe a nice game of Cat and Mouse or Car Soccer :)

- Having a Private Lobby so only the people you invite can join.

- Being to fully customize online races by allowing which cars can join, certain tuning, etc.

The only issue with a quick race is that your going to get thrown into a random room with random restrictions.
 
give XP and $$$ ... quite easy !

I think it would take a lot of thinking about to avoid abuse, think of kill padding on fps games. Maybe scale the race win reward based on number participants would be one way to go but it would need proper disqualification for people cutting corners and shunting
 
I think it will be approved in time, it appears that the online portion is an organic 'growing form'.

I would like to see positive encouragement for all the wall riding rammers out there. Bonus 10,000 credits and experience everytime you complete a clean race (no body contact.).

Then to combine this with exp in match making on exp points. It sounds a bit elitist for the masses, but it would allows quality races.
 
Last edited:
Performance point index would be good. Make it easier to race against friends cars, and set up cars specificaly for online.
 
actually there is, there's a little green circle on the left side of each room in the lobby list, if it's green they're racing, if it's grey they're in the lobby or in free-run, that's why you'll see most drift rooms without the little green light on

Thanks!
 
I agree, PD fell well short with the options. Many of the above cannot be too hard to implement. I'm not sure I want to see the PP system back, it wasn't perfectly balanced and now with more cars available, it can only be harder to balance.

The number of cars should have no impact on the performance of PP. It would be crazy for PD to hard code PP to each car. It's most likely just some kind of formula that spits out a number based on some car parameters. If that's the case, 100 cars, 1000 cars, 1000000 cars, PP would be just as effective.

Also, can you really consider current online balanced? GT300 cars have similar stats to tuned hatchbacks. Any tuning that does not change your car's weight or power cannot be blocked by the rules (this is a gigantic problem with aero parts). PP would be a great improvement.
 
I would love to see more car allowed control options for better customization of what's allowed
 
Reward system to promote online racing.

That's all it needs.
 
Back